User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
myblubeemer OP
JWAT

Oddometer: 454
Scott Harden School & Lower LC4 E Pegs

Serveral of us on Adv Rider were lucky enough to take the one day Scott Harden off road school. What a great opportuntiy! Scott started off with some classroom instruction and then took us out to real world, working on everything from bike setup, to "barrel" racing, to trail riding.

In the bike set up portion, he pointed out to me what I already kinda new. Even with 30mm risers and higher bars (Pro Taper Pastrana FMX) on my LC4 E, I still have to stretch too much to the bars while standing in the "correct" position (I am the token tall guy in the pic). Since I have gone about as high as I can on the top end with the risers and bars, he suggested lower pegs.

Herein lies the problem. I've searched high and low for a source of lower pegs on the LC4 E without much luck. If anynoe has any solutions or suggestions on how I can get at least an inch lower pegs, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Joel

myblubeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
A set of Fastways will lower you about 1/2" and provide a much larger, more stable platform from which to conduct business.
I had to buy and modify a left footpeg braket from an SXC to install them on my 640 Adventure... but the additional cost was well worth it.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,852
I have the same problem. I've put Emig underbar steering damper mounts on, along with the Pastrana FMX bars, and it's still not enough. Fastways are the next step, but it still may not be enough. If I raise the bars any more, I'll have to replace all the control cables.

For reference, I'm 6'4", but I don't have particularly long arms--the sleeves on a 46R jacket are long enough.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #4
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
A set of Fastways will lower you about 1/2" and provide a much larger, more stable platform from which to conduct business.
I had to buy and modify a left footpeg braket from an SXC to install them on my 640 Adventure... but the additional cost was well worth it.
creeper, did you have to do any grinding to get them to fit? there is a Fastways installation guide someone put together to download in the "other downloads" link in the index thread. that one included lots of grinding and supposedly sucks.

ISTR, somebody else mentioned there are a couple of variants on the Fastaways, perhaps they said adjustable or non-adjustable; and perhaps the non-adjustable ones required more grinding? of course this is from the dark recesses of my potato vodka addled brain... so i could be high.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
creeper, did you have to do any grinding to get them to fit? there is a Fastways installation guide someone put together to download in the "other downloads" link in the index thread. that one included lots of grinding and supposedly sucks.

ISTR, somebody else mentioned there are a couple of variants on the Fastaways, perhaps they said adjustable or non-adjustable; and perhaps the non-adjustable ones required more grinding? of course this is from the dark recesses of my potato vodka addled brain... so i could be high.
The right one was a bolt-on other than some light grinding to shorten the Fastway collar about .010".

The left requires the '04 625SXC footpeg mount and hardware store sourced allen bolts to mount it to the frame.
You have to grind or mill a radius into the mount for clearance for the peg. You also need another right side peg pin, as the stock left side pin becomes too short for the new mount.
Thats about it. A little grind, stare and compare, grind a bit more... about 1/2 hour for all of it.

C
Old 11-03-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
myblubeemer OP
JWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie
I have the same problem. I've put Emig underbar steering damper mounts on, along with the Pastrana FMX bars, and it's still not enough. Fastways are the next step, but it still may not be enough. If I raise the bars any more, I'll have to replace all the control cables.

For reference, I'm 6'4", but I don't have particularly long arms--the sleeves on a 46R jacket are long enough.
I am 6'5" and wear a 46XL jacket. If I knew the 1/2" gain on the Fastways would do the trick, I would do it right away. When Scott stood me up on the bike and put me in position, it appeared that I needed at LEAST an 1", maybe a little more. I don't want to go to custom cables, mainly for the pain of replacement down the road. I may have to go with the 1/2" gain and be happy with that.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubeemer
I am 6'5" and wear a 46XL jacket. If I knew the 1/2" gain on the Fastways would do the trick, I would do it right away. When Scott stood me up on the bike and put me in position, it appeared that I needed at LEAST an 1", maybe a little more. I don't want to go to custom cables, mainly for the pain of replacement down the road. I may have to go with the 1/2" gain and be happy with that.
1/2" is better than nothing... and it opens up your seated position too. The Fastways alone are worth the price of admission comparied to the iddy biddy stock pegs, even without the "lowboy" feature.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Good info from creeper there.

The Index Thread has a direct link to my Yahoo Briefcase, plenty of nick-nacks in there. Help yourself.

Index Thread
"Other external links to downloads"
http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/...c=bc%26.view=l

Yahoo Briefcase
"Fastaway guide"

Old 11-03-2005, 03:44 PM   #9
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
Joel,

Since the OE pegs are mild steel, it might be worth it to bring them to a machine shop and have them modified (cut and some additional material welded in) to lower them an inch. It will likely move them outward just a tad to properly brace them, but I don't think it'd be particularly expensive to do.

BTW, it was fun riding with ya (I'm the guy on the far left).

Bruce

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #10
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
...snip...The Fastways alone are worth the price of admission comparied to the iddy biddy stock pegs, even without the "lowboy" feature.
I love Fastways as much as the next guy, but the OE KTM rally pegs are nice for the price at ~$45 for the pair

But then again, I use Saran Wrap for rain gear.

Rally Foot Peg (5850304000090)

Rally Foot Peg (5850304100090)

Hair of the dog....
Old 11-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #11
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
no you don't - you use Piggly Wiggly bags.

I concur on the Rallye Pegs. I stand up a lot and have no issues.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:27 PM   #12
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
I love Fastways as much as the next guy, but the OE KTM rally pegs are nice for the price at ~$45 for the pair

My reason for getting Fastways (And believe me, I thought about it for quite awhile) was that I'm a size 12.5 ultra-flat-foot. No arches at all.
Having a laterally longer, but only marginally wider peg such as the KTM rally pieces, although a major improvement over stock, doesn't offer the fore and aft support that the Fastways do.
My foot on the stock peg, or even the rallye peg, feels like an overcooked noodle drapped across the narrow edge of a fork.

I would recommend the Fastways to anyone that was long of foot, nonexistant of arch and long of leg, or wanting to stand deeper in the bike.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:38 PM   #13
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950
no you don't - you use Piggly Wiggly bags.

Piggly Wiggly bags are so yesterday. Saran Wrap is the shizzle.

BTW: Creeper - good point on the Fastways. I am a 10/5 EEE so the width is more of a help to me. The side bracket mod that Mack was onto from the SXC (aluminum bracket) changed that bastard LC4 peg over to the RFS style peg, didn't it? That made the Fastways a bolt up, didn't it?

Where's MP's index, gotta go see if that's in there.

Hair of the dog....
Old 11-03-2005, 04:48 PM   #14
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:

Piggly Wiggly bags are so yesterday. Saran Wrap is the shizzle.

BTW: Creeper - good point on the Fastways. I am a 10/5 EEE so the width is more of a help to me. The side bracket mod that Mack was onto from the SXC (aluminum bracket) changed that bastard LC4 peg over to the RFS style peg, didn't it? That made the Fastways a bolt up, didn't it?

Where's MP's index, gotta go see if that's in there.
see discussion above

Old 11-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #15
myblubeemer OP
JWAT

Quote:
Joel,

Since the OE pegs are mild steel, it might be worth it to bring them to a machine shop and have them modified (cut and some additional material welded in) to lower them an inch. It will likely move them outward just a tad to properly brace them, but I don't think it'd be particularly expensive to do.

BTW, it was fun riding with ya (I'm the guy on the far left).

Bruce
Hey Bruce, good to ride with you too! Wish I had followed you on the last trail loop on Sat! I'll keep working on the pegs situation until I get it right!