User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Yokomo OP
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
KLR650 with balls?

Sitting here, cold, not much else better to do and wondering.
Has anyone on here built up a KLR with some balls? Possibly a big bore kit, pumper carb, full exhaust, etc.

I think I'd like to own a KLR someday for more of a comfy asphalt rider. But LOTs of power is always fun too. Is there much aftermarket support for the klr in terms of power? I'm not talking about heated vest, heated ball warmers, heated grips, gps, windshield de-icer power either.
Lets hear it!
Yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
ryanwilliamcantrell
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo
Sitting here, cold, not much else better to do and wondering.
Has anyone on here built up a KLR with some balls? Possibly a big bore kit, pumper carb, full exhaust, etc.

I think I'd like to own a KLR someday for more of a comfy asphalt rider. But LOTs of power is always fun too. Is there much aftermarket support for the klr in terms of power? I'm not talking about heated vest, heated ball warmers, heated grips, gps, windshield de-icer power either.
Lets hear it!
There are dozens of threads devoted to this topic on KLR650.net. Check it out. There are guys with LOTS of expert advice on this topic.

Long story short ~ yes. I rebuilt mine at 40,000 miles. Did the 685 kit with stage 2 headwork (oversized intake and exhaust vavles), w/ a ported head. Light piston (85 grams lighter than stock with the 685 upgrade). The 705 is common now too. Big Gun header w/ FMF end. Uni air filter with KLX components installed in the carb. Changed it into a whole different engine ~ but that's a LOT of money to throw at a KLR. Was it worth it to me? Yes, because I put another 20,000 miles on it before I sold it. Would it be worth it to most guys? No.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
jpkailua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
BMW 650
jpkailua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,974
Can a sow's ear be transformed into a silk purse?

Or, only into an improved sow's ear?

Rhetorical questions only.

Each rider has his own answer, and each calibrates his own scale regarding the point of diminishing returns from modifications . . .

Full disclosure: My KLR650's awfully stock; regardless, here's wishing more power and success to those who would hop-up/improve the KLR650.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Oly
Deadlines whooshing by

Oddometer: 8,099
easy fix

Oly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
You can do the 685 and some light carb work for less than the cost of a good pipe - if you can do the wrenching. This makes a difference in the bike out of proportion to the displacement change.
all the best,
Mike
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,080
I did the 685 kit and some carb mods and ended up with an engine that was much smoother and made a bit more power than stock. The mods were well worth it and not too costly. In the end though the bike was just too heavy for my taste so I sold it. My KTM makes a LOT more power than the KLR and weights a LOT less. It also costs a LOT more than a KLR. I always thought the KLR made decent power for what you pay for it. I never really wanted big power on a KLR because at least off road it would overpower the limited chassis and suspension and just get me into bigger trouble.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Blu_Vue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
semi hijack: just took my scoot in to possibly re-work the head, found out the rings are pretty tired. what additional parts would I need to complete the 685 kit for an '89 model ?
Old 02-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Vue
semi hijack: just took my scoot in to possibly re-work the head, found out the rings are pretty tired. what additional parts would I need to complete the 685 kit for an '89 model ?
You'd need the cylinder assembly from the 1996 and later model. Or, you need to know a guy that can bore your early model cylinder block and install the thicker walled liner. Then buy the kit from Schnitz ($243.50 plus a head gasket), get the cylinder assembly bored to match the 685 piston & rings, put it all together. Including labor for boring and honing, shipping and parts, I usually tell people it's a little over $400 is you can do the install. If you know the right people and live within riding/driving distance, cost of the install is lunch at the local bbq for a couple of people helping you.
all the best,
Mike
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote