User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,441
DR650 - Noisy starter?

I've heard of others with this problem before, but was wondering what you guys thought. This is an 06 DR650 with about 7K on it. This started when it got cold out this fall. I have 20w50 oil in it now, and I realize thats pretty thick for the temps. I'll change the oil soon and see if that helps. Bike is still under warranty so I'll probably take it to the dealer soon and let them deal with it, but I'd like to have some ideas first.

In this video, the bike was on a battery tender, and I hit the starter for my first video attempt and it made the noise, but started right up, which suprised me since it was only in the upper 30's and I didn't have the choke on. I shut it off after letting it run about 30 sec, then took this video.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
BBurton
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Not sure, but that is some thick ass oil for this time of year!! Hopefully you are letting the bike run for a while when you start it up, cause you want to let it get to temp to allow the condensation to go away. I have 10W40 in mine right now, but I will run 15W50 for the rest of the year.

Did you say that it just started making this noise, and will it do it after the oil is hot?

It is easier to stay out than get out.
Mark Twain
BBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
30s realy isn't that cold. I have to use the choke from the 40s and lower.

Maybe ride it a while and then see if the starter is still loud...dunno, really.
Warranties are good things....
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I don't think there's anything to deal with, they all make that noise when it's cold, as far as I know. This is the third winter I've used my '05 in (bought Feb 2005), and I generally ride more days than not all winter. Mine makes this noise pretty much every time I start it in winter, if it's 30s or colder. I've heard of quite a few with this noise, and how many guys do you think even start their bikes in cold, overall? I haven't heard of a DR650 starter that doesn't make this noise when it's cold out, but who knows. All my other bikes made a slightly different noise in winter starting, though nothing as odd sounding as the DR's, which I just figured had something to do with it being a big single--long compression stroke, and all that. Honestly, I never worried about it, as long as it kept starting and didn't make any mechanical noises.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Started doing it before my Lake Superior loop, so well over 2500 miles ago,probably closer to 3k. Usually only does it when its cold ( bike & temps ) When I put that oil in it, that was all that was available at the dealer. Maybe I'll change it tomorrow and see how it goes.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 12-31-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
You mean that chicken screach while the starter motor is turning?

Mine does it as well, sounds horrible. Makes you want to start you bike when nobody watches.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

When you put it like that I want to play it like a turntable in a hip hop group. DJ 650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
You mean that chicken screach while the starter motor is turning?
Old 12-31-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Its similar to the noise that my XR650L made after I rebuilt the motor and added the hotcam w/o the decompression release lobe on the cam. Seems like them big singles are alot for that starter to turn over, especially with thick oil.

Its kinda one of those noises where people look at ya when you start it and give you that "what the hell is wrong with your bike" looks, kinda like what the Ducati guys get with their clutches

I was just seeing if you guys thought its something I should let the dealer deal with. I don't want to find out that its a problem down in Mexico. First things first, I'll put some new oil in it.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 12-31-2006, 05:28 PM   #9
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
Its kinda one of those noises where people look at ya when you start it and give you that "what the hell is wrong with your bike" looks, kinda like what the Ducati guys get with their clutches
Tell me about it, but at least you don't have to roll past everyone through the parking lot with it making that sound the whole way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
I was just seeing if you guys thought its something I should let the dealer deal with. I don't want to find out that its a problem down in Mexico. First things first, I'll put some new oil in it.
You want to let a dealer touch your bike, on purpose? I guess you're not a reader of this: http://lazyk.blogspot.com/index.html
When you say that about the compression release, it makes me wonder if that's it. Well mexico's not too cold, and you could always bump start it. Mine starts in a lot colder than 30s though. Below zero is about the only time I use full choke.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
............this: http://lazyk.blogspot.com/index.html
That's creative.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:21 PM   #11
wickerman777
Canyon fodder

Oddometer: 314
My 06 with similar mileage has developed a similar noise and sometimes I really wonder if the starters gonna give up the ghost. I'll be asking for a new starter before warranty wear out. Always starts though.
wickerman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:25 PM   #12
Kbikeboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Question

Mine makes the exact same noise when its cold. I'm used to it by now I guess and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse or causing any other problems so I'm not too worried about it. It is a strange noise however and I've never heard any noise similar to it coming from the starters of any of my other bikes...
1981 XV920RH
Kbikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:44 PM   #13
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,865
Didn't sound bad to me.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:46 PM   #14
AtlantaDR
Anything on 2 Wheels

Oddometer: 129
Same Here

I have the exact same sound. It does not sound good to me. Since my '06 is still under warranty, I was planning to take it to the dealer and have it looked at. I am interested in hearing from someone who took theirs in and had it fixed. What was the fix, if any? Did the dealer cover it under warranty or just tell you to ignore it?

Rob
AtlantaDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:48 AM   #15
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDR
I have the exact same sound. It does not sound good to me. Since my '06 is still under warranty, I was planning to take it to the dealer and have it looked at. I am interested in hearing from someone who took theirs in and had it fixed. What was the fix, if any? Did the dealer cover it under warranty or just tell you to ignore it?

Rob
I might take mine in and just see what they say. If I load it up in the truck and haul it up there, then its bound to make the noise when I start it.

I really don't care if it makes the noise, as long as there isn't something wrong.
Lone Wolf Expeditions