Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
Bikerboy108 OP
Pat from Jersey

Oddometer: 903
Does oil filter need to be changed every time?

Just changed my oil and filter. I usually do it between 1500- 2000 miles . It looked pretty clean and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on changing the filter every other oil change.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #2
wegger
Hey watch this...

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestaino
Just changed my oil and filter. I usually do it between 1500- 2000 miles . It looked pretty clean and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on changing the filter every other oil change.
Here goes, another oil thread :-) Here's my take on it. No doubt there will be other opinions.

If you're still in break-in period or less than 10k miles, an oil/filter change is the way to go at the recommended intervals. During this period dinosaur oil is fine and will facilitate break-in.

Between 5k and 10k you may opt to change to synthetic oil. Keep the oil/filter changes as recommended up to 10k.

After 10k definitely change to synthetic, and your oil change intervals can go to 5k miles. Synthetics lubricate better, handle heat and stress better, and the anti-wear package lasts longer without getting contaminated by the heat and wear byproducts of dinosaur oil. This allows longer intervals. As for the filter changes, as long as your drain plug and oil look fairly clean, you can space the filter out to every second or third oil change.

While running synthetic oil, if you need to top off and no synth is available, go ahead and top of with dino oil. It won't hurt a thing and it's better to have proper level now than to wait. You're just diluting the benefits of synthetic a bit. On your next oil change go back to full synth and you're back to normal.

That's worked for me on my currrent GS, 105k miles and doesn't smoke or burn oil and still runs strong.

Let the games begin.

W
wegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Suzuki recommends changing the filter everyother time. I've done that for years, in all my vehicles. No problem if you are changing oil every 3 thousands or so.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,803
Absolutly no problem leaving the filter on thier for 8-10,000 miles, but I have a uncontrolable urge to change that sucker every time.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,374
Here is a theory, but I don't have proof. A used filter filters better because the debris in it closes the larger pores in the filter media. But if it gets too restricted, a bypass valve will open and allow unfiltered oil through. A couple of friends have Honda Insight hybrids and Honda says change the filter every other oil change so there is what I speculate and what I know.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
TAS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
Here is a theory, but I don't have proof. A used filter filters better because the debris in it closes the larger pores in the filter media. But if it gets too restricted, a bypass valve will open and allow unfiltered oil through. A couple of friends have Honda Insight hybrids and Honda says change the filter every other oil change so there is what I speculate and what I know.
I go by the same train of thought. I change my oil fairly often (every 2000 miles) but will change the filter every other oil change. My Dad drilled this into my head when I was younger and I've always followed this rule of thumb with no problems.
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:59 PM   #7
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
I change the oil every 1500 miles and the filter at 1750.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
Bayou Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
I will never understand why people pay double or triple the money for synthetic and then change the oil thousands of miles before it says in the owners manual. This just seems like a huge waste of time and money to me.
Bayou Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #9
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
agree w/ wegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegger
Here goes, another oil thread :-) Here's my take on it. No doubt there will be other opinions.

If you're still in break-in period or less than 10k miles, an oil/filter change is the way to go at the recommended intervals. During this period dinosaur oil is fine and will facilitate break-in.

Between 5k and 10k you may opt to change to synthetic oil. Keep the oil/filter changes as recommended up to 10k.

After 10k definitely change to synthetic, and your oil change intervals can go to 5k miles. Synthetics lubricate better, handle heat and stress better, and the anti-wear package lasts longer without getting contaminated by the heat and wear byproducts of dinosaur oil. This allows longer intervals. As for the filter changes, as long as your drain plug and oil look fairly clean, you can space the filter out to every second or third oil change.

While running synthetic oil, if you need to top off and no synth is available, go ahead and top of with dino oil. It won't hurt a thing and it's better to have proper level now than to wait. You're just diluting the benefits of synthetic a bit. On your next oil change go back to full synth and you're back to normal.

That's worked for me on my currrent GS, 105k miles and doesn't smoke or burn oil and still runs strong.

Let the games begin.

W
agree w/ wegger, over 200,000 using synthetics

with this variant... 2,500 to 5,000 miles twixt changes depending on severity of use, changing filter every other time. Usually about 7,500-8,500 miles & bike see 2 oil changes & 1 filter change

... won't ever go back to itty-bitty dino feet. BTW Royal Purple is about the best you can buy!!! every ice i used it in, used LESS oil. Go ahead.....ask me how i know
Old 11-14-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
Kaumajet
H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer: 10,137
Oil (Mobil 1) every 5000 km (3000 miles), filter every 10,000 km (6000 miles) and the first change of every season (out of storage).

"There is just something special about a stripper with a tail" ilmostro
Kaumajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:33 PM   #11
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
I will never understand why people pay double or triple the money for synthetic and then change the oil thousands of miles before it says in the owners manual. This just seems like a huge waste of time and money to me.
Now, is it really THAT big of a waste? One could piss that kind of money away buying movie theater popcorn. I change oil and filter every 3K. I'd hate to have an engine start to develop problems just because I decided to save an extra $20-$30 per year.
I buy filters 3 or 4 at a time and get Mobil 1 in the big jugs at Wal-Mart. (Prolly saved enough time and money in NOT truckin' around multiple times to pay for that extra oil change)
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:43 PM   #12
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Just as a point of reference, my BMW 325i requires a synthetic oil change every 15,000 miles!!!! You guys who change your oil every 2 - 3k miles are wasting money and poluting the environment (I voted for Bush, so back off), in my humble opinion.

I know these bikes are air cooled which is definitly tougher on oil, but anything less that 7500 miles just doesn't make sense from an engineering perspective. If you don't believe me, drive the shit out of your bike for 7500 miles and then send it in for analysis (about $25) and see for yourself.

Also, and this -is- my opinion, I think with synthetic you should be able to go 2 years assuming you keep it under 5k miles and are not in Alaska so some other place with brutal environmental conditions....

g-
Old 11-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
If you space out your oil changes to every 3000 miles, you can take the money saved on oil and put in a new filter with each change. Also, ever notice how much oil is in the filter? Quite a bit, so you're just mixing new and old oil when you change your oil and don't change your filter. And you never know what's in that old oil, that is one of the reasons you are replacing it. Why are you changing so frequently anyway? Are you really that hard on your bike, or are the conditions you ride in that bad? If you;re going to go through the trouble and expense of chaging oil at intervals smaller than 3000, what is the added expense of an oil filter? It definitely won't do any harm to change it, and you sound like someone who is going to do whatever it takes to make sure your bike is in tip top shape. Why skimp on the filter?
761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:09 PM   #14
Infallible
Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_e_young
Just as a point of reference, my BMW 325i requires a synthetic oil change every 15,000 miles!!!! You guys who change your oil every 2 - 3k miles are wasting money and poluting the environment (I voted for Bush, so back off), in my humble opinion.

I know these bikes are air cooled which is definitly tougher on oil, but anything less that 7500 miles just doesn't make sense from an engineering perspective. If you don't believe me, drive the shit out of your bike for 7500 miles and then send it in for analysis (about $25) and see for yourself.

Also, and this -is- my opinion, I think with synthetic you should be able to go 2 years assuming you keep it under 5k miles and are not in Alaska so some other place with brutal environmental conditions....

g-
A huge +1!!! For more information on changing your oil go to www.themotoroilsite.com and download the motor oil bible. At the end of the PDF File is a chart listing each major brand of oils specific components and make up and most importantly its oil protection rating. Changing your synthetic oils every 3k is a complete waste of time, money, and resources unless you are doing track days.

BTW I voted for bonehead twice as well but this isn't the forum for that.
Infallible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:20 PM   #15
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
oh no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_e_young

g-
so no bonding with my gs.... no bonding for 2 ys... " i don't think so Tim"