Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,258
Pally's Adventure Knife

Greetings all

Everyone knows that a good knife is indispensible not only whilst riding in the wilds, but for general use in everyday life...

I carry a small folder with a clip everywhere. Unfortunately, I had multiple failure's with my trusty Spyderco I was sad...

I caught one of Pally's (aka Velocity Jones these days ) threads showing some of his handiwork. Looked to be top knotch stuff, but I had never gotten into a "custom" knife. I contacted him to see if he had interest in doing an "adventure" folder to my specs...

He agreed it was a good idea, so we began...

Over the course of 57 sent emails from me Pally crafted a folding knife to my specs. The process was remarkably easy. Specs were discussed, prototype photos sent, mods were made, finished knife photos sent, mods made, and whaaa-laaahhhh! The PASSMORE folder #001 was born!

To give you an idea of what I wanted, here is my spec list:
*daily carry in a variety of environments (ranch, errands, office, water, riding, church, etc.)
*clip to enable a very low ride and not to be so obtrusive that it snags on doorways, etc.
*folder not to exceed 7" unfolded
*thumbstud for easy manipulation
*easy draw
*low maintence
*no serrations, regular blade

Seems like simple enough specs, but Pally will probably tell ya'll I was an anal bastard

A few weeks later, I received my knife from Jeff. Upon initial inspection, the quality was everything I had expected - reminded me of a well tuned and kitted 1911 .45, it just had a "right" feel and the parts working had a certain precision to them

Quality craftsmanship is fine and good, but would it work as I had spec'd it?

The knife is "upside" down from what I am used to after carrying a Spyderco for about 15 years, so I was apprehensive about the clip placement. Jeff assured me it would draw nicely. It does. My thumb naturally falls to the stud in the draw and the knife comes out of my pocket easily. That said, I am still adjusting to manipulating the knife - old habits are hard to break. I find that this knife only requires a "pushing" motion to the stud vs. a circular motion applied to the Spyderco. I like it and it is an easy motion since the mechanism is so fine.

As for the perty wood handle, that is Pally's doing... I spec'd a micarta but he had some beautiful wood that he insited putting on. He sould not stand to do and "ugly" knife he said Others have expressed doubt in the durability of the wood however in my years of working with wood I enjoy it for its graceful aging and ability to come back to life. It also seems like it will be a long wearing wood with care.

I have already had a chance to "abuse" the knife (thank doG Jeff has extended lifetime service to me ). The blade held well, did not chip as I was afraid that it was going to.

With luck Jeff will chime in as to the finer points of the knife, materials, and such. I am not so much into those things as I am just very pleased to have a quality piece of gear that will likely get handed down to the next generation

I will continue to add to this thread as experiences (good, bad, or ugly) accumulate with this knife. So far, so good though...

Below are some photos - the good ones are Jeff's and the crummy ones are mine trying to show the clip and som other details...

Old 11-18-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Sweet!!!I am truly inspired....

Here is a rough idea of what I am gonna try.....

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Pally McGee
Reality's Bitch

Oddometer: 3,350
Making a knife for someone like Michael is both a joy and a trial at the same time - but well worth the effort. You see there are several types of customers in my business, but rare are the types like Michael who primarily thinks of a knife as a necessary tool, not a toy. He holds no fantasies of knife-fighting with ninjas dressed in black, or piercing a dragon's heart with a crystalline dagger. No, instead Mr. Passmore carries a knife to be used. His honest sensible ways let him choose to carry a knife to use, and as long as function supercedes form, he is happy with whatever gives him good service. Michael also likes the good things in life, and that is what has drawn him to commissioning himself a custom knife from me.

The Passmore Model is a fine user's knife, but as I hope to show you in the weeks to come, the Passmore will also lend itself to some fine embellishment. On my bench as I write this are four more Passmore models that will be fitted with bolsters and handles of patinated bronze, mother of pearl, mosaic damascus steel, and fossil mammoth ivory.

The Desert Ironwood on Michael's knife was essentially a gift to him. I was very pleased with the design of his knife and although he wantes plain old black micarta, I urged him to go with the DI. This piece I have is of exceptional beauty. I sliced off a couple pieces and matched them up fairly well as handle scales. I think it was a good decision. Michael, I am certain that DI will mellow and age like a fine wine. Heck, it probably already is over 200 years old!

I'm happy to see Mr. Passmore enjoying his new friend. Always wear it, and it'll be there when you need it. Oh yah!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity Jones
He holds no fantasies of knife-fighting with ninjas dressed in black, or piercing a dragon's heart with a crystalline dagger. No, instead Mr. Passmore carries a knife to be used.
I did "fight" with my tractor yesterday and accidentally droped the knife in a bucket of used oil while "battling" said tractor

What was that you said about lubricating the knife Jeff?
Old 11-18-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
ndmiller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I want one

Where can I get more information on getting one of these fine knives or having one custom made? Didn't see a Website or anything.

Noah
ndmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:21 PM   #6
Pally McGee
Reality's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmiller
Where can I get more information on getting one of these fine knives or having one custom made? Didn't see a Website or anything.

Noah
I adjusted my sigline to add my website. If anyone needs to contact me, please email.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 64,910
You make a nice knife, Pally.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
fahrtleiter
Volunteer Staph

Oddometer: 341
Did you make this from steel cable?

I have a friend in Santa Fe that makes "cable" knives, and didn't know it was a common technique.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:13 PM   #9
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai
How much does it weigh?
No scale to weigh it accurately, but I will tell you that it is no lightweight. Not too hefty IMO. Difference for me is that my Spyderco was a flyweight, this one is NOT. While clipped in my jeans, it is fine. However in shorts I had on today one could consider it a tad heavy.

Take this with a grain of salt as I am still getting used to it
Old 11-19-2005, 07:40 AM   #10
Pally McGee
Reality's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrtleiter
Did you make this from steel cable?

I have a friend in Santa Fe that makes "cable" knives, and didn't know it was a common technique.
The blade on this knife, dubbed "Big Brutha" was made of 1084 powdered steel and a motorcycle chain from an old (I think 1947?) Indian. The chain is cleaned and set into a canister. The podwered steel is then poured into the canister and the whole thing it welded up. Then the canister and the contents are heated to welding temp and the whole thing squished in a hydraulic press. I don't like cable damascus, so I don't use it.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:43 AM   #11
Pally McGee
Reality's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
No scale to weigh it accurately, but I will tell you that it is no lightweight. Not too hefty IMO. Difference for me is that my Spyderco was a flyweight, this one is NOT. While clipped in my jeans, it is fine. However in shorts I had on today one could consider it a tad heavy.

Take this with a grain of salt as I am still getting used to it
A solid user's knife will always have some heft to it. Even with the titanium liners, the stainless bolsters will weight it down a little. The bonus here being that you can use The Passmore to scalp a grizzly if you wanted to!
Old 11-19-2005, 07:51 AM   #12
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,593
Cool knives. Very nice worksmanship on these. I love the fact that someone needs a "church knife."
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:06 AM   #13
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,736
Beautifull workmanship Can you make me a Boejangles special?
I'll PM ya..
Old 11-19-2005, 08:14 AM   #14
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Beautiful work Pally, how much time do you have to invest in something like that?
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:24 AM   #15
supercreep

Oddometer: 1,363
very nice, pally.
supercreep is offline   Reply With Quote