Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2005, 09:46 AM   #16
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Congrats Michael, and great work, Pally. I have always loved knives, and I have been known to acquire a few every now and again.

Most of my knives are still in a box in my garage along with a ton of other stuff I haven't gotten around to unpacking since moving to L.A.

While I don't have any fantasies of battling Ninja, I do train in a Filipino martial art that is an edged weapons art. It's a form of Arnis/Escrima called Bahala Na, and the primary weapon is a Filipino style sword, although we commonly use rattan sticks (a formidable weapon in it's own right) in training as a substitute for edged swords. In addition to sword and stick work, knife fighting is a key element too.

I generally always carry a blade of some sort, although I change it up for variety regularly.

Here are some crappy shots of a few I have on hand at the moment (sorry, I'm in a hurry to get out the door, and these were the best I could snap off for now)...

Here's one of the first "tactical folders" I ever bought, a Chris Reeves model. I believe he first designed this knife for a South African Paramilitary Police force. The handle is made of Titanium, and it has a unique locking mechanism that is elegant:

This is a traditional Italian shepherd's knife that I bought in Milan years ago, and the handle is made from Olive tree wood. The blade extends a tiny bit from the handle when folded, so that a shepherd can open it one handed while riding a horse by catching the blade on his heavy wool pants as he opens the blade. Did you know that lock blades are illegal in Italy! Isn't that crazy?

Here's an unusual Spyderco folding model of a traditional Indonesian style blade called a Kerambit. Traditionally they were not made as folders. It is a pretty brutal design meant to be held in a reverse grip most of the time with your index finger through the hole in the handle.

This is a less common Spyderco modle called a "Chinook," designed by James A. Keating. It has a G10 handle. This is more often than not the knife I carry with me daily, and has been for the last year or so.

This knife (and sheath) was made for me by one of the senior instructors, or Guros, in Bahala Na:

I bought this knife made by Terzoula at a NYC custom knife show last week:

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #17
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
Congrats Michael, and great work, Pally.
Thanks Anthony! I'm sitting here cleaning it and some other stuff right right now - tis a nice piece...

I really like the first tac folder you have there I think a fellow operator had one of the same (or darn close) back some time ago - nice piece

See ya in April (hopefully!)...

BTW, Mulekick, you would be happy to know that I am cleaning the toys with an official "Mulekick's Monterrey Adv" shirt!

PASSMORE screwed with this post 11-19-2005 at 10:08 AM
PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:03 AM   #18
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,725
damn you guys... you're making me drool.

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:06 AM   #19
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

When you say "Operator," I'm thinking special forces types. Which reminds me... I know a couple of SEALS, and one of them once said to me in response to my showing him a nice custom knife, "yeah, that's a beauty, and very well made, but why spend that much money on a knife when you're just going to leave it in somebody some day?"

A different perspective.

Old 11-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #20
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
When you say "Operator," I'm thinking special forces types. Which reminds me... I know a couple of SEALS, and one of them once said to me in response to my showing him a nice custom knife, "yeah, that's a beauty, and very well made, but why spend that much money on a knife when you're just going to leave it in somebody some day?"

A different perspective.
Back in the day I was a tad "higher speed" than I am now... These days I am just trying to "get up to speed"!

I was just recalling that the guy I am thinking of was with the team that did some training for the S. Africans... Might have been the knife's origin (love to swap!).

Taken back to that day and time, I would have agreed for the most part with your friend as to really nice custom knives, although SOG was turning out knives for us that were pretty sweet then (I suspect this was prior to their more mass market appeal these days). Also of note is that most of our budgets were limited (given DOD payscale ), so much of the higher zoot stuff only came if could get our CO to sign off onthe purchase or convince the vendor to allow us to "test" it.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:02 PM   #21
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
damn you guys... you're making me drool.

Yeah.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:09 AM   #22
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,248
Very nice work Pally
Old 11-20-2005, 07:10 AM   #23
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
The PASSMORE folder #001 was born!
To give you an idea of what I wanted, here is my spec list:
*daily carry in a variety of environments (ranch, errands, office, water, riding, church, etc.)
*clip to enable a very low ride and not to be so obtrusive that it snags on doorways, etc.
*folder not to exceed 7" unfolded
*thumbstud for easy manipulation
*easy draw
*low maintence
*no serrations, regular blade
It would sure be cool if Pally could come up with a production run of this knife with an ADVrider logo stamped on the blade, or embedded in the handle. Very nice work Pally. I love it.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 420 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:59 PM   #24
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking
It would sure be cool if Pally could come up with a production run of this knife with an ADVrider logo stamped on the blade, or embedded in the handle. Very nice work Pally. I love it.
Please not stamped! Look at the stress risers with stamped letters and the like.

Etched would be OK, but something in the handle would be best. Inlay a chain side plate?

Great work anyway.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:54 AM   #25
Pally McGee
Reality's Bitch

Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking
I have given it some thought, but I doubt Baldy would let me use the logo unless I kicked him back some portion of the proceeds. Not a bad idea, mind you, but I'm super-poor right now, and I can only handle what orders I have at this time. It does get better as time rolls on, but its a slow process to build reputation in the knife world unless the maker invents something so radically different and most-importantly, DESIREABLE, then he has to just keep plugging along until his business grows. If he does everything right, he'll be lucky to make an adequate living. If he does get lucky, and one of his designs sells to one of the major factories, he could be set for life.

I have given thought to several designs of knives that would be focused on an adventure rider's needs, but again, right now time is of the essence for me because I have so many orders to fill before Christmas.

I also have a vision in my head of a very high-end art knife, either a bowie or dagger, that would be embellished with carvings of motorcycles of perhaps a lone rider and cactus desert scene or maybe a sweet sunset. I'm not sure yet which, but definitely will get started on that after the holiday season.

If anyone here has any ideas about a knife that would be very useful or nice to have as an adventure rider, then please email me with your thoughts. You never know WHAT will happen, right Michael?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:00 AM   #26
Pally McGee
Reality's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Please not stamped! Look at the stress risers with stamped letters and the like.

Etched would be OK, but something in the handle would be best. Inlay a chain side plate?

Great work anyway.
Actually the stresses involved in a stamped logo is somewhat of a myth, Eric.

The blade is stamped BEFORE heat treating, and during a good heat treating program, all stresses are relieved in the steel as it is austenitized. I've used both etching and stamping for years and have never had a problem. Also, I have never, nor has anyone been able to produce a pic of a knife that has been abused to the point of actual breakage at the location of a tang stamp.

I'll just have to put on my Mythbuster hat and debunk this one, bro! :)
Old 11-21-2005, 06:56 AM   #27
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity Jones
Actually the stresses involved in a stamped logo is somewhat of a myth, Eric.

The blade is stamped BEFORE heat treating, and during a good heat treating program, all stresses are relieved in the steel as it is austenitized. I've used both etching and stamping for years and have never had a problem. Also, I have never, nor has anyone been able to produce a pic of a knife that has been abused to the point of actual breakage at the location of a tang stamp.

I'll just have to put on my Mythbuster hat and debunk this one, bro! :)

Ditto.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:07 AM   #28
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

On the Adv knife, I think it might be doable Jeff...

Perhaps a thread to generate (actually re-generate as it seems to already be there) interest, suggestions, and orders. Make it a limited run of 50 or less (numbered of course) with an "adventure" motorcycling motif/logo etc - might not even have to be THE AdvRider logo, but merely something expressing the holder's affinity for adventure riding...

Pre-paid orders would be taken on an escalating cost basis. The earlier you order the less it costs. You cover your cost early and profit grows as volume does... You are known quantity here Jeff, so I doubt someone would have issue with a pre-payment (I wouldn't.).

Just some thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity Jones
I have given it some thought, but I doubt Baldy would let me use the logo unless I kicked him back some portion of the proceeds. Not a bad idea, mind you, but I'm super-poor right now, and I can only handle what orders I have at this time. It does get better as time rolls on, but its a slow process to build reputation in the knife world unless the maker invents something so radically different and most-importantly, DESIREABLE, then he has to just keep plugging along until his business grows. If he does everything right, he'll be lucky to make an adequate living. If he does get lucky, and one of his designs sells to one of the major factories, he could be set for life.

I have given thought to several designs of knives that would be focused on an adventure rider's needs, but again, right now time is of the essence for me because I have so many orders to fill before Christmas.

I also have a vision in my head of a very high-end art knife, either a bowie or dagger, that would be embellished with carvings of motorcycles of perhaps a lone rider and cactus desert scene or maybe a sweet sunset. I'm not sure yet which, but definitely will get started on that after the holiday season.

If anyone here has any ideas about a knife that would be very useful or nice to have as an adventure rider, then please email me with your thoughts. You never know WHAT will happen, right Michael?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:12 AM   #29
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
On the Adv knife, I think it might be doable Jeff...

Perhaps a thread to generate (actually re-generate as it seems to already be there) interest, suggestions, and orders. Make it a limited run of 50 or less (numbered of course) with an "adventure" motorcycling motif/logo etc - might not even have to be THE AdvRider logo, but merely something expressing the holder's affinity for adventure riding...

Pre-paid orders would be taken on an escalating cost basis. The earlier you order the less it costs. You cover your cost early and profit grows as volume does... You are known quantity here Jeff, so I doubt someone would have issue with a pre-payment (I wouldn't.).

Just some thoughts...
I would be interested.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:47 AM   #30
Pally McGee
Reality's Bitch

I'll chit-chat with Mr. Passmore and see what we can dredge up. Again, if any of you have any ideas about something you'd love to see as a knife for dedicated adventure bikers, please drop me an email (no PMs, please).