Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #46
Techfiend
High Priest of Duh

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity Jones
Yeah, there's another knifemaker who said, "The best knife in the world is the one on you when you need it."

Hey TF, where ya been, bro?
Oh man, been getting killed at work. Looking at a huge change in my life and location coming up soon and not looking forward to the stress.

Seriously though man, WOW. You do damn good work sir.

I put on my wizard robe and hat!

Clothes make the man -- naked people have little to no effect on society...
-- Mark Twain
Techfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #47
Lee Keller King
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 678
Hmm. Looks a lot like my Victronox officer's model (That I've been carrying for 20 years or so).

I STILL want the Pally Special!

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStory
Here ya go. Its even called the Adventurer. Victorinox Adventurer

Lee Keller King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:14 AM   #48
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Keller King
I STILL want the Pally Special!

Lee
You should have it indeed!

I forgot all the particulars on the blade, but damn it is a fine hunk of metal - sharpens up so well after being abused...
Old 12-06-2005, 07:17 AM   #49
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,156
It's here

Thanks honey

Just came in the mail today. It's beautiful and has already accomplished it's first task, dig a sliver out of my thumb, Passmore is right, blade is fantastic and the workmanship is awesome.

Here are some shitty pictures I took at work this AM, just as the battery on my camera died

And finally...

The color is off a tad, but I lightened it up a bit to make it easier to see the grain of the ironwood.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:35 AM   #50
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Very nice Phil!

Looks like some subtle nuances are evolving in the knife (or spec'd by you?).

I see the handle has become a bit more rounded and it looks like the blade as some more accentuated angles. Looks like I see a different angle between the wood and the metal as wel.

Very nice
Old 12-06-2005, 07:42 AM   #51
Pally McGee
Reality's Bitch

Oddometer: 3,351
Yes it did evolve a bit since I made yours, Michael. Essentially, everyone gets their own knife, and not just a carbon copy of the previous knife. Its good to know that the knife you get is one of a kind, yet the overall pattern is the same. There are a couple more Passmores on my build list for Advrider members, and I hope they will post theirs here too!

Phil, glad you like it, buddy!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:44 AM   #52
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Evolution is good Pally
Old 12-06-2005, 08:22 AM   #53
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
Very nice Phil!

Looks like some subtle nuances are evolving in the knife (or spec'd by you?).

I see the handle has become a bit more rounded and it looks like the blade as some more accentuated angles. Looks like I see a different angle between the wood and the metal as wel.

Very nice
Speaking of angles, what is the right angle for sharpening this sucker? I normally use my Lansky setup to clean knives up and set the angle?

Should I even use my Lansky on this blade?

Old 12-06-2005, 08:52 AM   #54
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Speaking of angles, what is the right angle for sharpening this sucker? I normally use my Lansky setup to clean knives up and set the angle?

Phil,

Pally may disagree, but me being the simple man that I am I just rake the thing over a my big 'ol 3 stone chef's stone's - no angle 'cept the one that feels like the blade is moving along nicely. Sharpens to a razors edge

I ordered this Gatco sharpening system and it was OK with all the angles and such, but a too cumbersome for me...

Oil and stone for this guy...
Old 12-06-2005, 08:54 AM   #55
Pally McGee
Reality's Bitch

Quote:

I used a Gatco - basically a Lansky to sharpen yours, so I'd give me blessing to your Lansky! Your bevel is set to 22 degrees. Its a good working bevel. Anything more wears too fast. I still got a bare patch on my left arm from yours, so go ahead and shave with it if you want!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:59 AM   #56
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Phil,

Pally may disagree, but me being the simple man that I am I just rake the thing over a my big 'ol 3 stone chef's stone's - no angle 'cept the one that feels like the blade is moving along nicely. Sharpens to a razors edge

I ordered this Gatco sharpening system and it was OK with all the angles and such, but a too cumbersome for me...

I've been using the Lansky for 10 years, basically just an oil and 3 stone process, but it keeps a perfect angle on my carving and chef's knives. I bought the V stone to try to clean up one of my Spyderco's, it sucked.

I wonder what the knife maker has to say?

Old 12-06-2005, 09:00 AM   #57
Pally McGee
Reality's Bitch

Quote:
Phil,

Michael, there is nothing wrong with your method. In fact, many old-timers like my Dad prefer that way. These were the guys that always carried a small sstone in their pockets to touch up their scythes while out in the field, or sharpen up the axe just a bit while taking a smoke break. The way you are sharpening will eventually make what is called a "cannelled" edge, or convex. It's actually a solid edge preferred by the guys who are into the cutting competitions and stuff. Then again these guys have been known to slice off their own fingers while practicing. So basically, if that style of edge is good enough to sever fingers cleanly, it'll certainly perform any cutting task you ask of it!
Old 12-06-2005, 09:27 AM   #58
X Banana Boy
stuck in the office

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity Jones
Michael, there is nothing wrong with your method. In fact, many old-timers like my Dad prefer that way. These were the guys that always carried a small sstone in their pockets to touch up their scythes while out in the field, or sharpen up the axe just a bit while taking a smoke break. The way you are sharpening will eventually make what is called a "cannelled" edge, or convex. It's actually a solid edge preferred by the guys who are into the cutting competitions and stuff. Then again these guys have been known to slice off their own fingers while practicing. So basically, if that style of edge is good enough to sever fingers cleanly, it'll certainly perform any cutting task you ask of it!
Your knives are very sweet. I would have your web site address on the bottom of all your thread, ie signature. Free advertising never hurts. I saw your web site address on one or 2 of your replies, so i could do some checking out. Beside good workmanship, advertising is one of the keys to success.

my 2 cents
saffer

ps the South African paramilitary force would have been the Recces. They are/were known as one very top paramilitary forces in the world and had a busy time with all the African war that go on.
X Banana Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:41 AM   #59
Pally McGee
Reality's Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffer
Your knives are very sweet. I would have your web site address on the bottom of all your thread, ie signature. Free advertising never hurts. I saw your web site address on one or 2 of your replies, so i could do some checking out. Beside good workmanship, advertising is one of the keys to success.
It has been!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #60
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
I've been using the Lansky for 10 years, basically just an oil and 3 stone process, but it keeps a perfect angle on my carving and chef's knives. I bought the V stone to try to clean up one of my Spyderco's, it sucked.

I wonder what the knife maker has to say?
That Lansky may have the "edge" as it has that nifty base - the Gatco did nto come with one. Looks lik eit would be far easier to use with that.