Old 11-18-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
DataDaddy OP
@ the new dad thing

Oddometer: 7,559
Took a little ride on my "new" K100AdvRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
For Sale:

The ultimate poser bike. Why should Harley Riders be the only posers out there?
Go to the next ADV Rider gathering, Iron Butt event, or the MOA rally in Lima OH and get instant street cred with this high mileage K100RS. With it's rough looking exterior, 111K on the Speedo and a few well worn accessories and every one will know you're the real high mileage deal.

1985 K100RS with 111,224 miles.
Being a low-post Noob, Andy's calculated, well-crafted sales pitch caught my attention. I was visiting DataWife in Altanta and since I was coming home through Birmingham, I called Andy to see if I could give the bike a test ride. So, I find my way to Andy's house.

Andy shows me the bike and runs through the particulars and then says "Go ride it and see if you like it."

I invite him to be tour guide while I checked out the bike. I figured he would know where the good roads were. I didn't have to twist his arm all that hard.

We stop at a gas station about 30 minutes into the test ride and Andy asks if I want to ride some more. I was pretty happy with the bike and the test ride time I had gotten, but more riding wouldn't be too bad either.

I tell Andy, "I'll ride as long as you want to keep riding." I figured out later that he was trying to get out of some yard work Worked out well for both of us...

So, I got a 50-60 mile test ride on the K100RS, plus I got to ride his R100GS for 10-20 miles. Andy's a good salesman

Here are the bikes back at Andy's

I come back the next week to pick up the bike. I bring my friend Tom and Ellie the dog on the adventure.

Loading up...

Hey ma, it followed me home, can I keep it, can I?

Tucked away for her first night in her new home...

Saturday morning. It a nice warm day and seem like a good "get to know ya" ride kinda day.

Dropped "the baggage" and we're ready to go...

Fall is in the air and the leaves are beginning to change. We actually are getting pretty good color this year. Usually its just, GREEN - BROWN - and DOWN.

Fall seemed to have the critters stirred up too. Saw a bunch of snakes (copperhead, if I'm not mistaken) crossing the road or just hanging on the warm asphalt.

Almost hit this guy. Pretty big snake.

More leaves... Cool roads...

This guy was in the apex of the corner and I did not see him in time to avoid... Mashed his tail Quickly, put it out of misery... and rode on. Sorry Mr. Snake, shouldn't be playing in the road...

Not wanting to be a whimpy non-gravel-street bike riding kind of guy, I get the feel of the new bike on the gravel... Not too bad... Anyone have any knobbie recommendations for the K100RS? Kenda make that size?

Its Saturday and the game is in town. SEC Football weekends mean tailgating... Despite our record this season, we're good at tailgating. With Alabama as an opponent, the crowds are even bigger.

Lots a folks on campus...

Co-eds...

The stadium starting to fill up. Its about 45 minutes before the game.

Folks are still coming... Its fun to ride against game day traffic...

Got home from my 80 mile adventure and my house guests (evacuees from New Orleans) had prepared breakfast... Whole wheat, blueberry pancakes with Huckleberry Syrup (thanks Oregon ). Hmmmm...

2 of the 3 dogs enjoying the sunny morning

Watching the game on the TV... less traffic

I like my new bike... I think she'll fit in just fine around here...

oh, that's really good -- AceRph, Alcan06
DataDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:51 PM   #2
skeeter
Captain Safety

Oddometer: 1,872
Looks like the perfect bike for the winter ride!
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
DataDaddy OP
@ the new dad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter
Looks like the perfect bike for the winter ride!
My thoughts as well... Now, who was that guy doing the spiked tires for people....

Old 11-18-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,467
Nice new ride DD.

There's an '85 blue version of that bike with 31,000 miles at my local dealer, he wants $2395...hmmmmmmmmm
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDaddy

Co-eds...

Where are their cowbells?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,188
Cool scoot! And I love the photo of Andy's garage, nothing but bikes parked everywhere! You'll love that old K bike, they're bombproof and run forever. Smooth as a Kirby vacuum cleaner (is that where the "K" designation came from???). I've got a K75 with 55,000 on it and it's hardly even broken in yet. A buddy of mine saw a K similar to mine in NY State with almost 300,000 miles on it, still purring like a kitten.

I can't offer advice on knobbies, but my K75 handles pretty decent on gravel with street tires. I had Michelin Macadam tires on it, they were OK, but the rubber seemed kinda hard. I love the MEZ6's I've got on my RT so I decided to try some of the new Metzler LazerTecs on the K75. Man, what a difference! Much better gription in all weather and a smoother ride. Got about 4000 miles on the LazerTecs and they still look new. Maintenance on the K bike is far simpler and less costly than the RT, always a good thing.

Check A&S Cycles website for historic info on your bike, and all kinds of goodies and parts for it.

The K75Adv near my home:

Ride safe, have fun!

Doug
manfromthestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:25 AM   #7
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Looking Good there Daddy! Seems to be several snakes around your parts Will be looking for ya in Nooga for T-Giving!

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:27 AM   #8
DataDaddy OP
@ the new dad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum-GS
Looking Good there Daddy! Seems to be several snakes around your parts Will be looking for ya in Nooga for T-Giving!

Boojum!
Morning Booj

Fucking sucks about Meathead... but that fucker tough...

Old 11-19-2005, 09:52 AM   #9
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,178
Data,
Nice "Flying Brick"! I like the color. Enjoy!
Here is my wifes '04, she loves it:
FlagRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #10
Barney
I reckon so

Oddometer: 890
K100rs

Just picked one up in blue.Same model and year.Did 300+ on my first ride last weekend and looking forward to a nice long ride tomorrow.Watch those copperheads "thems pisonus" as my granddad used to say.

Brett
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #11
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,302
Glad to hear you're likin' the bike DD. I had many good rides on that bike and am already missing it . i'm happy to see it went to someone that will ride the wheels offa that sucker, that's what it needs