Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
fritzcoinc OP
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,491
How much fork oil to put in and what weight oil you running?

Have 1996 XR650L. Can't find dependable information. Honda dealer said
19.1 OZ. Have not found info in factory manual yet. Chilton manual said
21.8 OZ. I drained 14 OZ from each leg. I am thinking it is 14 min. to 19.1 OZ or 21.8 OZ max. but not sure. Thanks.

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc

Have 1996 XR650L. Can't find dependable information. Honda dealer said
19.1 OZ. Have not found info in factory manual yet. Chilton manual said
21.8 OZ. I drained 14 OZ from each leg. I am thinking it is 14 min. to 19.1 OZ or 21.8 OZ max. but not sure. Thanks.

Have you seen neduro's fork oil change thread? It is on XR forks too:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73718

I didn't look thru it right now, but usually fork oil is measured by the height of the oil not the quantity.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
fritzcoinc OP
Enjoying my last V8

Thanks a million for the good info. The light finially came on!! I made a combination dip tube and level gauge as shown in a Harley service manual. Set the tube with the adjustable stop to the desired oil level, place dip tube preset stop against the top of the fork, apply suction to the tube and when you hear sucking sound comming out of the fork tube the excess oil has been removed to the desired level. The range of oil levels I got from various places on the web is 100 MM to 145 MM. I set 133 MM to start.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 01-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
with springs or no

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc
Thanks a million for the good info. The light finially came on!! I made a combination dip tube and level gauge as shown in a Harley service manual. Set the tube with the adjustable stop to the desired oil level, place dip tube preset stop against the top of the fork, apply suction to the tube and when you hear sucking sound comming out of the fork tube the excess oil has been removed to the desired level. The range of oil levels I got from various places on the web is 100 MM to 145 MM. I set 133 MM to start.
I just got a 99 XRL and have a manual ordered but it is not here yet. The forks dive way too much when the front brake is applied and I have them off to change the oil. I am assuming that you did this with the spring out of the fork? This may be obvious but I haven't disassembled them yet.

thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Do not rely on oil quantity but rather measure it like mentioned above.

I got a cheap tool ($20) from a local bike shop but you could rig something up just as easily:

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Thanks

But how much? I have seen 10 different measurements and quantities. If I knew the Honda rec I could start from there.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
fritzcoinc OP
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
But how much? I have seen 10 different measurements and quantities. If I knew the Honda rec I could start from there.
I did 133 MM from the top with the springs out and the sliders all the way up. I used the Honda/Showa OEM weight oil.
Next time I will got to 140 MM and maybe a LITTLE thicker oil.
Look in the Honda manual in the front at the specifications for the recomendated level. I got my measurements as a culmanation of all the data I found on various sites.
Also try moving the forks up in the triple clamps about 1/4".
This will change the rake angle and also helps handling the big old heavy beast.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
Sourjon
TAT'erd

thanks

This will change the rake angle and also helps handling the big old heavy beast.

I hear that! Thanks for the info. I didn't get a manual or anything but have one on order. Just impatient

John
Old 01-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
I just got a 99 XRL and have a manual ordered but it is not here yet. The forks dive way too much when the front brake is applied and I have them off to change the oil. I am assuming that you did this with the spring out of the fork? This may be obvious but I haven't disassembled them yet.

thanks
When I did my forks, I made spacers using 1" PVC pipe. Most bike have these and the Honda does not, so it pre-loads the springs slightly, but it takes up the empty space nicely. I made them 22 mm long and it seemed to help a bunch with the dive. The springs are always too soft from the factory, but this does help a ton.

As to the oil: I went low tech and used ATF, just like the old days. It seems to work just fine also. A little thicker than stock, but it seems to work just fine. I don't remember how much, but there is a manual available for download on ThumperTalk.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Good info

Quote:
When I did my forks, I made spacers using 1" PVC pipe.
I am assuming this goes at the top of the spring just under the cap. Did yours have the air fittings? How much pressure should be in there? 4-6 PSI?

Come on USPS bring me my service manual before I drive these guys nuts!

thanks
John