Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #46
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Very nice Uncle Creep. Now I have "damper envy".

One caveat though.... isn't the upside down "Scotts" gonna drive your retentive side a bit nuts?
Hey brother Chris,

I bought my bike in May of '03 and only just now have I broken down and spent the money on suspension work and a damper.
Thing is, I've known all along that the Adventure suspension is soft, and that it should have been the very first thing I did when I got the bike... somehow, I've put it off for nearly 3 years. After the first ride I'll probably say "what the fuck was I thinking!"

Steering dampers on dirt bikes came on the scene just as I was getting out of trials (no dampers required) and dirt bikes all together, so I've never ridden a dirt bike with a damper.
But this heavy a bike will kick your ass (and your arms) in the tight stuff if you give it half a chance, so based on what I've read, and that many well respected racers have been touting them as the second coming of Christ for a decade now, I decided that I needed one.
I had to sell one of my beloved H&Ks to do it, but as I've kind of lost my interest in guns lately... what the hell.

Im not too worried about the upside-down Scotts Ill just read the Ohlins part.
Besides, if I have to spend $400 to be able to utilize one of Loaded's little damper mounting gems, well... what ever it takes to keep the boy doing constructive work, instead of hanging out at strip joints.

C
Old 12-11-2005, 08:05 PM   #47
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
I need to spend more high speed trail time on this thing so I can determine why I haven't seen these on the race bikes yet.
Did you look at the pics of the J. Lewis racer for one?
Considering the front forks are made by WP, chances are something you can adapt is already available.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:26 AM   #48
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Did you look at the pics of the J. Lewis racer for one?
Considering the front forks are made by WP, chances are something you can adapt is already available.
Did look, nada I can see.. Marzocchi makes the fork but the damper install looks easy enough.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:08 AM   #49
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Anybody got any idea on the serial(?) numbering on the lower face of the main body and what it may indicate?

Thanks
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #50
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,714
Quote:
well... what ever it takes to keep the boy doing constructive work, instead of hanging out at strip joints.
C
i was at the strip joint yesterday. you gotta try harder.

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:53 AM   #51
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Thing is, I've known all along that the Adventure suspension is soft, and that it should have been the very first thing I did when I got the bike... somehow, I've put it off for nearly 3 years. After the first ride I'll probably say "what the fuck was I thinking!"
I'm gonna be needin' details on how well this worked out. My lard ass could use more spring rate and the damping to go with it....

Quote:
Steering dampers on dirt bikes came on the scene just as I was getting out of trials (no dampers required) and dirt bikes all together, so I've never ridden a dirt bike with a damper.
My first real dirt bike was a 1969 Bultaco Sherpa TT bike. Complete with friction damper. Things have come a ways, eh?
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:59 AM   #52
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
I'm gonna be needin' details on how well this worked out. My lard ass could use more spring rate and the damping to go with it....]
52 fork springs and 92 shock spring. I spec'd the springs a little stiffer than most. Get this... the fork spring in my bike was a 42! Super soft springs and nearly maxed out compression damping makes for a harsh ride. Like I said, I knew better and still put it off almost 3 years.
Oh yeah... one fork rebound valve/seat was seized and the other was about to fall appart. Dick said he hasn't seen a WP fork yet from the factory that didn't have something fuck'd up in it.

No Race Tech nitrogen bladder after all. They really don't make them for the Pro Link shock... just the gigantic PDS shock.
Apparently, the smaller diameter reservoir doesn't have too many piston sticking issues. He could have fit one, but am 88mm bladder in a 90mm reservoir is a little snug.
Did install a schrader valve to replace the needle valve though.

Quote:
My first real dirt bike was a 1969 Bultaco Sherpa TT bike. Complete with friction damper. Things have come a ways, eh?
I don't know... I miss carrying (and needing) around a half-dozen piston and ring sets for my Bultaco Astro.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:50 AM   #53
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Did look, nada I can see.. Marzocchi makes the fork but the damper install looks easy enough.
Really? I could have sworn they were made by WP. Are they the 50mm Shiver forks? Seems like those are being used enough now that someone should have a kit for them.
Colin might be able to make something... small market, but that's never slow'd him down before.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #54
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
Really? I could have sworn they were made by WP. Are they the 50mm Shiver forks? Seems like those are being used enough now that someone should have a kit for them.
Colin might be able to make something... small market, but that's never slow'd him down before.

45 mm Italian's, I'll get some photo's off to Colin and see what we come up with.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #55
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
45 mm Italian's, I'll get some photo's off to Colin and see what we come up with.
A few dimensions too, like riser centers and riser to steering post offset, if it's not too much a pain in the ass.
Colin is on the road right now, so you may not get a response real soon.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:02 PM   #56
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
A few dimensions too, like riser centers and riser to steering post offset, if it's not too much a pain in the ass.
Colin is on the road right now, so you may not get a response real soon.
I'll send you some photo's so we can discuss particulars.

How you like the damper on your bike kiddo?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #57
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
I'll send you some photo's so we can discuss particulars.

How you like the damper on your bike kiddo?
It looks cool and works real nice in the garage.

It'll be a few weeks yet before I can ride 'cause the tank and fairing are out and about.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:15 PM   #58
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
It looks cool and works real nice in the garage.
That's a big garage, you PNW guys sure know how to live..
Old 12-12-2005, 03:29 PM   #59
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
That's a big garage, you PNW guys sure know how to live..
16th mile ultra short track. Gona' hold the winter nationals here ya' know.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #60
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
Really? I could have sworn they were made by WP. Are they the 50mm Shiver forks?

TELESCOPIC FORK WITH TRAVEL-DEPENDENT DAMPING
Front-wheel suspension on the HP2 is provided by a telescopic fork with 270 millimeters, or 10.63 inches of travel in upside-down construction, since this kind of spring travel cannot be provided sensibly by a conventional Telelever configuration. A special feature of the front-wheel fork is the travel-dependent damping, with the inbound and rebound stages being adjustable separately to a wide range of different settings. A further adjustable feature is the hydraulic system preventing the running gear from sagging down under extreme conditions.

The most outstanding feature in this system absolutely unique to BMW, is that damping in the inbound stage under pressure remains relatively independent of the degree of harshness, avoiding any sagging effect of the motorcycle. In other words, ride harshness and firm damping can be set to "hard" without making the inbound damping response in the main operating range of the damper significantly firmer or tauter.

With its fixed sleeve tube measuring 45 millimetres (or 1.77 inches) in diameter, the fork provides the stiffness required and at the same time allows maximum handlebar lock. The fixed sleeve tubes come with an extremely resistant special coating withstanding wear even better and more efficiently than a conventional surface coating based on titanium nitride.