Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #61
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,312
That was definitely written by a German....
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #62
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,746
Old 12-12-2005, 06:06 PM   #63
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Thats what I thought... Shivers. Nice forking fork. That second paragraph about the outstanding feature isn't as clear as a bell even with the "in other words" part.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #64
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Thats what I thought... Shivers. Nice forking fork. That second paragraph about the outstanding feature isn't as clear as a bell even with the "in other words" part.
I like "tauter"..
Old 12-12-2005, 07:49 PM   #65
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
I like "tauter"..
Tater?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #66
bEnt_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Question scott or emig post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Afternoon everybody!

After collecting and sharing information between Colin, me and the absolutely fabulous Paige Emig, we have the bits and pieces of, what will probably become the most popular variation of the kit for the KTM LC4, sorted out.

Order your stabilizer mount from Stenhouse Racing.

Order your stabilizer from Scott's. Colin recommends a 40mm stepped arm, installed reversed for a SUB mount... this information is included in the instructions that come with his mount. You can request this from Scott's at the time of order.

If you want a bolt-on stabilizer post, order your post from Emig Racing. Before you order, please go to the Emig site, click on 'View Online Catalog', then scroll down to 'KTM LC4 Install' and read that.
If you have a top front mounted ignition switch and fork lock, there is some minor frame cutting with a hacksaw or cut-off disc required to install the post collar. If you can't do this, consider other options such as a weld-on post.
You may also need to remove a small amount of material from the back of the top triple tree to clear the Emig post.

Update 1-7-06
Based on a thread on KTMtalk, it's been determined that the '04 625 SMC has a different top tree with quite a bit more pinch bolt spacing behind the steering stem. Due to this, a much larger amount of material must be removed from the top tree when using the Emig bolt-on stabilizer post.
The alternatives are a 50mm Scott's stabilizer arm and a matching Scott's bolt-on or weld-on post, as Emig does not make a post with more offset. Contact Scott's for further information.

If it's all good, contact Paige Emig and tell her you want part number SPO-640-160 (as in a post height of 1.60 inches), this will get you the combination of parts needed to mate in the correct location with the Scott's arm.
We've calculated the length of 1.60" as a good compromise to accommodate the variations we will have due to the differences in condition and torque value on the riser rubber mounts.
If your rubber mounts are old or worn and allow easy movement, they should be replaced before you install the damper kit.

I'd like to point out that Paige Emig not only has a lovely and accommodating phone persona, she is very professional and never gave the impression that she was annoyed with me discussing the use of the Stenhouse mount or a Scott's damper.
In all fairness, remember that aside from individual parts, Emig Racing sells a top quality stabilizer kit with slick risers, custom anodizing and their own proprietary damper assembly.

C

Quick addendum: Although there is the likelihood that the stabilizer post from Emig could be incorrect... it's doubtful. I do not have any parts in my hand at this time so I cannot verify that the fit is right. I will post an install guide as soon as I get all the parts and report if there are any inconsistencies.
I mention this for the paranoid types that may want to hold off on ordering the post until I or Colin or whoever can verify fitment and function.
I have a sub mount from loaded and was just about to order the damper and post from Scott's to complete the package until I read this thread, so....

What's the advantage of the Emig bolt on post over the Scott's ??

Is there less cutting of the steering lock with Emig's or.......??

Just thought it would be easier ordering all pieces from Scott's at once
bEnt_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #67
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquorpig
What's the advantage of the Emig bolt on post over the Scott's ??

Is there less cutting of the steering lock with Emig's or.......??

Just thought it would be easier ordering all pieces from Scott's at once
Not any real advantage, other than we, thru many conversations with Page Emig, know which post we needed from Emig to work with Colin's mount. Position along the circumfrence... or from the axis of the steering stem is all the same, only the relative height of the stabilizer arm is different.
Note that we suggest you order the Scott's damper with the arm reversed.

If you can get the same post position (height) from Scott's, and prefer to order one from them... then go with the Scott's.

C
Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 AM   #68
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,673
Info

Thanks for the info guys. As i've just ordered the mount from Colin (thanks for your help) can you list the part numbers for the emig and scotts dampener for a cautious aussie. Its a bastage to return stuff from out here.
Cheers
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #69
creeper OP
Still alive...

The Emig piece is SPO-640-160 (as in a post height of 1.60 inches).

A Scotts damper doesn't really have a part number that I'm aware of... just a off-road stabilizer with reversed arm is what you want if you'll be using the Stenhouse mount.

C
Old 01-07-2009, 03:37 AM   #70
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,673
Thank for that creeper. I've asked "loaded" - so if I could, can I ask you as well why you used the emig tower over the scotts? Is it more rigid/stronger/blinger or just nicer?
Cheers P
(And another thanks for the various how too's you've rittn over the years)
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #71
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640
Thank for that creeper. I've asked "loaded" - so if I could, can I ask you as well why you used the emig tower over the scotts? Is it more rigid/stronger/blinger or just nicer?
Cheers P
(And another thanks for the various how too's you've rittn over the years)
To be honest, I don't recall. I've not owned the 640A for over a year and much of what I did over three years ago is becoming a fuzzy memory.
Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that Colin's mount was in the prototype stages and we were figuring out offsets for proper post pin to damper arm alignment.
It's very important on a rubber mount bar set-up to get the slot in the damper arm centered over the post pin... to allow for rubber mount fore and aft movement.

C
Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #72
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Made a few phone calls about the Scotts steering stabalizer today to make sure I had it straight. Everyone I spoke to at cycle shops with experience setting up bikes to race in the desert recommend the Scotts off road model for the KTM. Malcom Smith uses a Scotts off road model on his Baja bike.
I ended up talking to Sportsmans Cycle, a KTM dealer in Nevada. They confirmed what I thought I already knew which was that stablizers by different manufactures work differently. Scotts off road dampens in one direction, away from center, the on road model dampens in both directions, as does the GPR unit and also Emig's if I remember correctly. I asked why? This was the explaination I was given.
Scotts theory is different than GPR's. Scotts makes the stabalizer work best for hitting something like a rock in a straight line. The wheel is damped away from center, allowed to return to center easily but can not cross center without being damped again. This forces the bike back to center and a straight track. The GPR is designed to offer maximum help if the wheel hits a rock with the wheel already turned, since it is damped in both directions it helps the bike continue the turn. This is my understanding. It may be wrong. Think for yourself.
So you take you pick where you want the most help. Both designs really work very well and help in all situations. No one I talked to wants to ride a machine without a steering stabilizer, they consider it essential. One design is not "better" than another. They all wear out if they are not serviced and can be broken in a wreck.
No one argued with me when I said it felt like the steering was touched by the hands of the gods when a stabilizer is installed.
For fully loaded travel adventure riding on some sort of a dirt road I believe the Scotts stabalizer might have the edge for me because most of my problems come with the bars nearly straight and not in turns. Others who ride or think differently can make their own call.
Bill in Tomahawk.
Bill

Thanks for the description , I did not realize that there is a difference in apples, and your description makes sense to me! but I have not used both kinds before and my experience on a Scotts stabilizer is only 300km of trails/gravel road.

With that being said, I am in this exact same boat deciding between the street version and the dirt version for my EXC. I think I have decided on the dirt and think I might be purchasing one of the blemished ones that we see in one of the pic's with the Scott's and Ohlin's logo on it.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #73
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteo
Bill

Thanks for the description , I did not realize that there is a difference in apples, and your description makes sense to me! but I have not used both kinds before and my experience on a Scotts stabilizer is only 300km of trails/gravel road.

With that being said, I am in this exact same boat deciding between the street version and the dirt version for my EXC. I think I have decided on the dirt and think I might be purchasing one of the blemished ones that we see in one of the pic's with the Scott's and Ohlin's logo on it.

D
Good otherwise you would be fighting to get it back to a straight position and when your in some nasty area's getting your bike aimed back in line is time sensitive.
Off-road situations are different then on-road, in offroad you want the ability to have control getting it back to center quickly, one way deflection damping is all that's needed.

The only place I see two way damping instrumental is to avoid severe handlebar shake.