ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
Maineboarder88 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Maineboarder88's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Maine Mountains
Oddometer: 495
Xtreme Motor Co--any good?

I'm looking for a dirtbike for my 7-year-old son and just find can't any decent used-bike deals in my area. Top contenders are the Honda XR70 and the Yamaha TTR 90, but they certainly do command top dollar. That said, I found a brand new 2005 Honda XR 50 copy made by Xtreme Motor Co for $600. I've read a couple of reviews that said they perform well out of the box but they also alluded to concerns about longevity. Anybody got any experience with these machines?



Thanks for the help.
Maineboarder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
scootertrash
Mobile Homie
 
scootertrash's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: "My leg's tired, let's live here."
Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilla Gorilla
I'm looking for a dirtbike for my 7-year-old son and just find can't any decent used-bike deals in my area. Top contenders are the Honda XR70 and the Yamaha TTR 90, but they certainly do command top dollar. That said, I found a brand new 2005 Honda XR 50 copy made by Xtreme Motor Co for $600. I've read a couple of reviews that said they perform well out of the box but they also alluded to concerns about longevity. Anybody got any experience with these machines?



Thanks for the help.
I would like to know too. I wonder how interchangeable the parts are between the clones and the Honda? Funny thing, I was looking at those bikes on the web last night too... Our XR70 has been solid for almost 3 years now..
__________________

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
CMWoody
Banned
 
CMWoody's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Hooterville, NC
Oddometer: 5,248
I got a Yamaha copy last year for jr. and have been pretty happy with it. Got it for under $400

CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Maineboarder88 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Maineboarder88's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Maine Mountains
Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
I got a Yamaha copy last year for jr. and have been pretty happy with it. Got it for under $400

Wow, cheap. Where did ya get it?

I'm also thinking about this '87 RM DS 80 on ebay (if the bidding doesn't get stupid).



Not sure if the little guy could handle the manual clutch/5spd though. He's got great balance (on his bike/skateboard/snowboard/and electric scooter), but I think an automatic would probably be better for his first riding experience.
Maineboarder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
machman
means well
 
machman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Alberta
Oddometer: 1,212
The Chinese manufacturing companies do a great job of cloning. I would think that for $600 you couldn't go wrong with one of those little bikes. I would figure it's gonna last 2 years without a need for new cables, clutch, or anything but gas and oil. If you need to replace it the 3rd year that's only $300/yr for a bike. An old RM is gonna cost you that in tires, plugs, reed valves, and repairs anyway...
machman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
Maineboarder88 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Maineboarder88's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Maine Mountains
Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by machman
The Chinese manufacturing companies do a great job of cloning. I would think that for $600 you couldn't go wrong with one of those little bikes. I would figure it's gonna last 2 years without a need for new cables, clutch, or anything but gas and oil. If you need to replace it the 3rd year that's only $300/yr for a bike. An old RM is gonna cost you that in tires, plugs, reed valves, and repairs anyway...
Good logic...
Maineboarder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder
 
Eurobiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 5,899
You'll be replacing it by year 3 anyway, as GorillaSpawn will have out grown it.
__________________
Mark

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.



Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #8
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state
 
HighwayChile's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Bow, WA USA
Oddometer: 4,243
man thats a clean DS, buy it for garage art.
some clone MFR offer long parts warrantys, might be worth a look.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilla Gorilla
Wow, cheap. Where did ya get it?

I'm also thinking about this '87 RM DS 80 on ebay (if the bidding doesn't get stupid).



Not sure if the little guy could handle the manual clutch/5spd though. He's got great balance (on his bike/skateboard/snowboard/and electric scooter), but I think an automatic would probably be better for his first riding experience.
__________________
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. .....Steve McQueen
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #9
Maineboarder88 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Maineboarder88's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Maine Mountains
Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobiker
You'll be replacing it by year 3 anyway, as GorillaSpawn will have out grown it.
Yeah, but I was thinking I'd try to hang on to it for GorillaSpawn #3 (who is now one-and-a-half). Probably wishful thinking that a bike could stick around that long. It's bad enough that the "hand me down kid" will have to deal with five-year-old fruit of the looms with stretched elastics. Jeesh, I'm cheap.
Maineboarder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014