User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
Maineboarder88 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Xtreme Motor Co--any good?

I'm looking for a dirtbike for my 7-year-old son and just find can't any decent used-bike deals in my area. Top contenders are the Honda XR70 and the Yamaha TTR 90, but they certainly do command top dollar. That said, I found a brand new 2005 Honda XR 50 copy made by Xtreme Motor Co for $600. I've read a couple of reviews that said they perform well out of the box but they also alluded to concerns about longevity. Anybody got any experience with these machines?

Thanks for the help.
Maineboarder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilla Gorilla
I'm looking for a dirtbike for my 7-year-old son and just find can't any decent used-bike deals in my area. Top contenders are the Honda XR70 and the Yamaha TTR 90, but they certainly do command top dollar. That said, I found a brand new 2005 Honda XR 50 copy made by Xtreme Motor Co for $600. I've read a couple of reviews that said they perform well out of the box but they also alluded to concerns about longevity. Anybody got any experience with these machines?

Thanks for the help.
I would like to know too. I wonder how interchangeable the parts are between the clones and the Honda? Funny thing, I was looking at those bikes on the web last night too... Our XR70 has been solid for almost 3 years now..

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
I got a Yamaha copy last year for jr. and have been pretty happy with it. Got it for under $400

CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Maineboarder88 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
I got a Yamaha copy last year for jr. and have been pretty happy with it. Got it for under $400

Wow, cheap. Where did ya get it?

I'm also thinking about this '87 RM DS 80 on ebay (if the bidding doesn't get stupid).

Not sure if the little guy could handle the manual clutch/5spd though. He's got great balance (on his bike/skateboard/snowboard/and electric scooter), but I think an automatic would probably be better for his first riding experience.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
machman
means well

Oddometer: 1,212
The Chinese manufacturing companies do a great job of cloning. I would think that for $600 you couldn't go wrong with one of those little bikes. I would figure it's gonna last 2 years without a need for new cables, clutch, or anything but gas and oil. If you need to replace it the 3rd year that's only $300/yr for a bike. An old RM is gonna cost you that in tires, plugs, reed valves, and repairs anyway...
machman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
Maineboarder88 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by machman
The Chinese manufacturing companies do a great job of cloning. I would think that for $600 you couldn't go wrong with one of those little bikes. I would figure it's gonna last 2 years without a need for new cables, clutch, or anything but gas and oil. If you need to replace it the 3rd year that's only $300/yr for a bike. An old RM is gonna cost you that in tires, plugs, reed valves, and repairs anyway...
Good logic...
Old 01-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,899
You'll be replacing it by year 3 anyway, as GorillaSpawn will have out grown it.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #8
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,243
man thats a clean DS, buy it for garage art.
some clone MFR offer long parts warrantys, might be worth a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilla Gorilla
Wow, cheap. Where did ya get it?

I'm also thinking about this '87 RM DS 80 on ebay (if the bidding doesn't get stupid).

Not sure if the little guy could handle the manual clutch/5spd though. He's got great balance (on his bike/skateboard/snowboard/and electric scooter), but I think an automatic would probably be better for his first riding experience.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #9
Maineboarder88 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobiker
You'll be replacing it by year 3 anyway, as GorillaSpawn will have out grown it.
Yeah, but I was thinking I'd try to hang on to it for GorillaSpawn #3 (who is now one-and-a-half). Probably wishful thinking that a bike could stick around that long. It's bad enough that the "hand me down kid" will have to deal with five-year-old fruit of the looms with stretched elastics. Jeesh, I'm cheap.