ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2005, 02:18 AM   #1
Autostream OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,833
Water leak from waterpump pipe

My 950 has done 8800km (5500ml). Mostly off road and many hours of 1-3rd gear work, so lots of hours for the distance.

The other day my bike was sitting outside work saying "clean me...cleeeeaan meee..." after a weeknd off road. This bike has never used a drop of water and was fine when I popped out for a few smokes as the morning progressed.

All of a sudden there was a trickle of water running from the pipe that goes into the front of the waterpump. The bike had been sitting overnight and was in the sun, but would have had virtually no pressure in the system.

Managed to get it into the local dealer at short notice and got it back today.

The problem was the pipe had a little back and forth play in it and this allowed the two O-rings to work slightly until they wore enough to only just seal. As soon as you ran the bike the pressure sealed the rings and they were water tight again. Dealers fix was to replace the O-rings and add some silicone sealer to take up the slack and stop the pipe working on the o-rings.

...just another thing to keep an eye out for.

Autostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
RedFlash
Go Cubs!

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
The problem was the pipe had a little back and forth play in it and this allowed the two O-rings to work slightly until they wore enough to only just seal. As soon as you ran the bike the pressure sealed the rings and they were water tight again. Dealers fix was to replace the O-rings and add some silicone sealer to take up the slack and stop the pipe working on the o-rings.
There is more to it than that. The pipe is supposed to wiggle around a little, to allow for vibration, and thermal expansion/contraction of all the different connected components.

The issue on mine was the the pipe itself. The seating surfaces were very rough and had paint oversprayed on to them. (Comparing it to the seating surfaces inside the pump, which are almost mirror finished.) I wire brushed the excess paint off the pipe, then buffed the metal smooth with a dremel wheel and some jeweler's rouge. Installed two new o-rings, reassembled the discrepant bits (no silly-cone) and flushed the system (required by a TSB, anyway). Refilled, vented and closed it up. Runs fine, no leaks. I was not able to get the metal on the pipe as smooth as I would have liked, so I'll keep an eye out as I approach 20k miles (started leaking at 11,000).

Mine is a 05.5, and I assume yours is the same. Thanks for the post.

RedFlash screwed with this post 11-25-2005 at 09:59 PM
RedFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflash94
There is more to it than that. The pipe is supposed to wiggle around a little, to allow for vibration, and thermal expansion/contraction of all the different connected components.

The issue on mine was the the pipe itself. The seating surfaces were very rough and had paint oversprayed on to them. (Comparing it to the seating surfaces inside the pump, which are almost mirror finished.) I wire brushed the excess paint off the pipe, then buffed the metal smooth with a dremel wheel and some jeweler's rouge. Installed two new o-rings, reassembled the discrepant bits (no silly-cone) and flushed the system (required by a TSB, anyway). Refilled, vented and closed it up. Runs fine, no leaks. I was not able to get the metal on the pipe as smooth as I would have liked, so I'll keep an eye out as I approach 20k miles (started leaking at 11,000).

Mine is a 05.5, and I assume yours is the same. Thanks for the post.
Mine is an '04 with 7k miles. It was leaking around the tube clamp. I replaced the o-rings. At first it made no difference. Then I took the bike for a 5-minute ride. Since then no leaks. Must have needed to seat.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:58 PM   #4
Autostream OP
Beastly Adventurer

I viewed my old O-rings (being a distrusting ex mechanic myself) you could see where the o-rings had physically worn on the outer circumference and even had a scuffed appearance.

Allowing for movement is one thing, but these had physically moved enough to wear...seems the 950 likes to wear out more rubber than just the rear tire...

Old 11-29-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
Compoed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Just had the exact same problem on my UK bike. Its worth knowing that the water pump failure/partial operation causes the overflow because the current knee-jerk KTM response to this problem is that the headgasket has failed. After my recent experience if you get coolant pissing from the overflow pipe it is caused by one of the following:

Knackered radiator cap (life is good)
Knackered waterpump (life is OK)
Knackered head gasket (life is bollocks - but hopefully you're still in warranty)

Anyone got anymore?
Compoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:13 AM   #6
Katoum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostream
My 950 has done 8800km (5500ml). Mostly off road and many hours of 1-3rd gear work, so lots of hours for the distance.

The other day my bike was sitting outside work saying "clean me...cleeeeaan meee..." after a weeknd off road. This bike has never used a drop of water and was fine when I popped out for a few smokes as the morning progressed.

All of a sudden there was a trickle of water running from the pipe that goes into the front of the waterpump. The bike had been sitting overnight and was in the sun, but would have had virtually no pressure in the system.

Managed to get it into the local dealer at short notice and got it back today.

...just another thing to keep an eye out for.
This is the same condition I ran into last year, the pipe has to have some movement to it. Packing with sealant may make it harder to service. I have added it to my yearly inspection and maintenance routine.
If you use your bike off-road a lot, dirt will migrate past O rings eventually from vitration and expansion/contraction. Its a simple do it yourself repair to pull the pipe and clean the oil rings, and replace with a light smear of silcone grease, but I would not recommend sealant, that's what O rings are for. JMHO
Katoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #7
Anthony
Hurry up, Stephie!

Oddometer: 300
I just had this problem and fixed as well. 05.5 5800+/- miles....
Old 07-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #8
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,861
Saw this thread referred to from the other one. Exactly the situation I have.

When we checked my valve clearance, we did loosen up the radiator to get some more room to work. Since then, the orings have been leaking a little and I suspect the system has not been maintaining pressure, causing some boil over.

Any tips on removing the tube? Does the radiator have to come loose? Other pieces need to come out?

I was looking at it when I did some work on the front engine mounts and couldn't figure out exactly what I needed to do to get it out since it was behind some of the other pieces and parts.

TIA -

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,376
Dave, just loosen the collar and pull her out. Easy-Sleezy

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Thanks Frank. Glad to hear that.

I had visions of oil tank, radiator, wiring loom, etc.

Couldn't tell how much play there was in there without taking it loose, and didn't want to do that until I had some idea of what I was getting myself into.

Dave

dunno.....
Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
Autostream OP
Beastly Adventurer

I took the original O-rings to a bearing wholesaler and we selected some just a little fatter in the cross section. Have run thos about twice as long as the original two OEM sets that failed and all is good, still plenty snug around the pipe.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:08 PM   #12
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Wow - the hardest part was getting to that bottom bolt. A short 8mm and a universal and it was out, drain the coolant, replace the o-rings (which I had gotten from the dealer a few weeks back in anticipation) and back in again.

I left the right side tank off, wheeled it outside and fired it up. Filled the coolant slowly, rocked side to side on the center stand, let it idle to warm, filled the overflow a couple times, and all seems to be in good order.

The new o-rings are holding nicely. No leakage after warm up. I think this will take care of the persistent vaporized coolant smell I was experiencing.

Wanted to take care of that BEFORE I headed out west to Westfest and warmer weather.

Thanks again for sharing.

Dave

dunno.....
Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
PozoRider
Just Ride

Oddometer: 209
Wow, just realized that my 05.5 has this same problem. It took a while to figure out were it was coming from because it would only drip a few times when it was on the center stand overnight. I finally notice the water level going down. It doesn't sound like it's worth taking it in for warranty work, I guess I'll do it myself.
Dick's Desert Dash
American Beta
PozoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #14
9Dave
Bazinga!

Put 100 miles on the bike in 95 degree weather in the woods and on the road. No leakage. No puking through the overflow bottle

Now hopefully that's done and over with.

Dave

dunno.....
Old 09-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #15
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
I'm beginning to suspect a cooling system issue. I seam to be losing water from the overflow tank and it doesnt seem to be leaking out....cant tell if it is coming from the overflow or not. The radiator cap doesn't show any signs of sludge and the oil in the oil tank still looks clean and no signs of milkshake. I also haven't overheated ever and the bike runs 4 bars with good airflow or 5 if sitting. I'll scrutinize the O rings and replace the cap and go from there.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote