ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Lone Rider OP
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
TE 610 Questions...?

1- Will the bike run on regular gas?
2- How much oil does it hold?
3- What is the recommended oil change interval?

gracias.....
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
CMWoody
Banned
 
CMWoody's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Hooterville, NC
Oddometer: 5,248
Got you thinking, eh?

prior info thread, though unsure if your answers are there.

Another
BTW, SM version is mostly the same bike, and there is alot more written about it.
Another
Husky Talk
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
Lone Rider OP
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
Got you thinking, eh?

prior info thread, though unsure if your answers are there.

Another
BTW, SM version is mostly the same bike, and there is alot more written about it.
Another
Husky Talk
Yeah, researching it anyway...

I'll call some dealers tomorrow/Monday and ask some questions.

Maintenance, parts availabilty (Mex, too), long term reliability experiences, what size a larger tank will be available...and some other stuff....

Looks like White Bros has a skid plate for em.

Specs say it has an engine/vib dampener.

If it meets my essential BS qualifications, I'll try to take a test ride...on-road somewhere.

Although, it's really tough to argue against air cooled for what I want to do.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
viverrid
not dead yet
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Western Mass
Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Although, it's really tough to argue against air cooled for what I want to do.
What do you want to do?
__________________
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
Lone Rider OP
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
What do you want to do?
Go to far away places........

Dirt roads/trails and highways in foreign countries with an extremely reliable bike that will carry 'some' gear.

Doesn't hurt to pick up when it/me falls over....
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
RedRyder
Jose Adventurista
 
RedRyder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Bush, Canada
Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Go to far away places........

Dirt roads/trails and highways in foreign countries with an extremely reliable bike that will carry 'some' gear.

Doesn't hurt to pick up when it/me falls over....

I know persactly where you wanna go Can't help but think that simpler (dr) might be better in this case tho. Wouldn't mind trying out my xr in those "far away places"! Ability to run on reg pem would be a definite asset but not totally essential.

Jose
__________________
Joe
Mason-Dixon Line
Jose
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:50 AM   #7
CMWoody
Banned
 
CMWoody's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Hooterville, NC
Oddometer: 5,248
It will need a skid plate and a bigger tank. I've been looking for the tank and haven't found anyone making one yet. From what I understand, there are larger tanks made for the old model. It would seem that someone will make one for the new one, who knows?

Fastways and bar risers are already out there for it. Guessing you'd want those.

The basic design has been in production for 15+ years and is said to be a reliable and smooth powerplant...there have been issues with the first batch over here with coolant leaks from undertorqued cylinder heads or a defective gasket. The carb also seems to need immeadeate rejetting but the dealer I'm working with is taking care of it for me, removing the smog stuff too btw. Hopefully, once sorted out it'll live up to its reputation.

I like the water cooling. Say for instance you have a busted battery and have to bum jumpstarts...It'll sit there idling just fine w/o cooking.

Something to be said about keeping it simple, a DR/XR/KLR may still be the ticket for what you want to do. I went with the Husky cause I wanted a Supermoto. Its a great deal and a near perfect bike for that. I'm going to get the additional knobbie wheels too. It fits my two purposes near perfectly. For just turd world riding dunno.

Googled some roadtests. They are of the older model but still informative.
one
two
three
fo

CMWoody screwed with this post 11-25-2005 at 09:29 AM
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #8
viverrid
not dead yet
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Western Mass
Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Go to far away places........

Dirt roads/trails and highways in foreign countries...
Hmm. I am selling my DRZ and considering the Husky to replace it. But if it was me for foreign, well I'd be thinking XR DR or KLR depending on HOW 3rd world and/or remote. Give up some sophistication and performance for more simplicity and give up the unusual for the mundane. The more exotic the place, perhaps the less exotic a bike is called for.
__________________
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
snoid
100% Okie
 
snoid's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: beaver river sandflats, texas county.
Oddometer: 28,188
yup...

i'm 300 miles from the nearest dealer... that's me out, though it is a great looking steed. i'd have better luck with parts on a gasgas if i was considering an exotic. i've given up on the exotics though.

too many ominous variables,

me
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:33 PM   #10
Lone Rider OP
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid
i'm 300 miles from the nearest dealer... that's me out, though it is a great looking steed. i'd have better luck with parts on a gasgas if i was considering an exotic. i've given up on the exotics though.

too many ominous variables,

me
I called 3 Husky dealers today trying to get some basic info.

"What is the factory recommeded oil change interval?"

Dealer 1: We don't know. We don't have any factory books. I recommend every 10 hrs.

Dealer 2: We don't know. I recommend every month or 2.

Dealer 3: We don't know. It's written in Italian. I recommend every 1500 miles.

Impressed the Hell outta me...........
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:40 PM   #11
Lone Rider OP
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
Hmm. I am selling my DRZ and considering the Husky to replace it. But if it was me for foreign, well I'd be thinking XR DR or KLR depending on HOW 3rd world and/or remote. Give up some sophistication and performance for more simplicity and give up the unusual for the mundane. The more exotic the place, perhaps the less exotic a bike is called for.
I've been 60% DR and 40% DRZ...so far.
DR cuz of highway travel, bullet proof, low-end torque and simple air cooled.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:54 PM   #12
CMWoody
Banned
 
CMWoody's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Hooterville, NC
Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
I called 3 Husky dealers today trying to get some basic info.

"What is the factory recommeded oil change interval?"

Dealer 1: We don't know. We don't have any factory books. I recommend every 10 hrs.

Dealer 2: We don't know. I recommend every month or 2.

Dealer 3: We don't know. It's written in Italian. I recommend every 1500 miles.

Impressed the Hell outta me...........
God, They suck. I've already downloaded the parts book and shop manual from their site...In English no less
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:05 PM   #13
Lone Rider OP
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
God, They suck. I've already downloaded the parts book and shop manual from their site...In English no less
Berkeley Springs, WV
Dalton, GA
Just outside Houston, TX

5-6 of the others I tried were closed cuz of turkey time.

Hattiesburg in MS is normally the Scooter, but I was told that they are no longer a Husky dealer.

Suppose to be a good dealer up at Lee's Summit in MO....
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #14
CMWoody
Banned
 
CMWoody's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Hooterville, NC
Oddometer: 5,248
Greenville, SC has an excellent dealer.
Hall's in Springfield, IN is supposed to be the countries biggest.

Could be early training for 3rd world travel, no dealers there either. Riding a Sweadish/Italian bike can only contribute to the adventure. What, you scared? Thats what its all about anyway right? I'll enter the boonies with a busted bike anyday.




Ok, me...tagged XR650R, thats what I'd take. Maybe a GSPD
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:12 PM   #15
2whlrcr
gooligan
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Oddometer: 5,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
Greenville, SC has an excellent dealer.
Hall's in Springfield, IN is supposed to be the countries biggest.
Isn't that Hall's in Springfield, Illinois?
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014