Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2015, 07:06 AM   #1
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,185
Cross Canada Paved Route?

Specifics-
Life long rider, been to many places in Canada but not on a MC, as either fishing or truck camping in many other focused trips.
My back is "sort of" worn out thus the trans Canadian gravel route is (mostly) out for me -also I'm not gonna risk my somewhat recently, surgically repaired shoulder on tough routes that infer likely bike falls, even the low speed type.
Tough but gettin old, healthy, active 71 year old rider, knock on wood!

I've searched a bit on google and ADV but not found what is probably a common question here on ADV:
Great cross Canada paved route? FWIW, I see this one all the time for lower 48 which I've traveled a bunch and often try to help riders with my experience.

More specifics-
> I'll camp some, motel some, highly maintained gravel I ride easily, technical routes I need to avoid.
>I'll probably start in Quebec City, thereabouts.
>I'll end in Vancouver, BC
>Though I've been in Canadian Rockies, I'm very open to suggestions of a east/west passage through them that can have deviations of interest.
Yes, I'll go for a hike there- I'm a smell the roses rider.

I looked , as I said but never really came across a google map routing suggestion.
I'm open to a ride partner but will go anyway & thinking late summer departure at earliest.

IDEAS?
Eh, Thanks!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
OneEffinName
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
From Vancouver to Alberta, you have three options:

(1) Crowsnest Highway #3 (from Hope). Slow but scenic. Gets you towards Lethbridge Alberta.

(2) Trans Canada #1. Fastest, scenic enough. Gets you to Calgary Alberta. From Hope to Kamloops you can take the Coquihalla #5 (fast) or the Trans Canada (longer, slower, more stuff to look at).

(3) Yellowhead highway. (splits off the #1 at Kamloops). First part ho-hum until the rockies, then "bammo" Mt Robson in all its glory. Gets you to Edmonton Alberta.

In the Prairies I will let others chime in.

OneEffinName screwed with this post 06-29-2015 at 07:39 AM
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 629
Why don't you try putting segments of the trip into a TWISTY RIDE planner like .......well Twisty Rides: http://www.twistyride.com/Motorcycle...y-Planner.html

It has an algorithm to find the twistiest paved roads.

The Best Route (Twistiest) goes through Colorado, but there is a 2nd Canadian Route (not much twisty in the middle thou).

http://www.twistyride.com/SearchResu...7z4194303z&t=0

the Canadian Route (mostly)

The Best Route (US makes twistier roads?)

Give it a try.

OceanMtnSea screwed with this post 06-29-2015 at 09:00 AM
OceanMtnSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 6,132
^^^ cool... thanks for sharing. I'll give it a try.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
ZZR_Ron
Looking up

Oddometer: 8,188
Between Sault Ste Marie and Thunder Bay, you definitely want to take HWY 17, instead of the very boring noerthern route which HWY 11.

Just west of Thunder Bay, turn left at Shabaqua, take the Highway to Atikokan, then the 622 back to HWY 17. This route is quite nice, and almost deserted.

That's my chime in for my area.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:35 AM   #6
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

I knew Canadians to be a friendly bunch! Thanks for the great suggestions so far!

I looked through my bookmarks for ideas this a.m. & came up with:
www.greatontarioroads.com
www.motorcycleroads.us I've used this one some in past riding
www.openroadjourney.com

I have a few others that are region specific like: www.visitvirginiamountains.com (look under "trails" header on home page), it was set up by a riding friend that lives in that area @ Marion,VA (a good base as is Abingdon,VA) I'm real close and ride with him at times-it's a key to arguably the best riding in the SE USA. Lots there besides the Dragon and a great vacation destination, esp. spring/fall!

Keep the route ideas coming, as this old guy has his 6 months doc check on my surgically repaired shoulder today. I've not ridden at all (farm tractor) but thinking he'll say go for it today.

I thought I had this "after surgery" ride thing all figured out date wise until my wife reminded me that a new grandbaby is coming when I was thinking MC's I was gonna hit Cleveland, then Toronto for some of my KC Royals baseball games then head on-not gonna happen that way...
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 06-30-2015, 05:50 AM   #7
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 353
Quebec City to Thunder Bay

Recommend:

138 > Berthierville > 158 > 148 > Ottawa > Arnprior > 508 (becomes 65>71>41) > 28 > Bancroft > 118 > 69 > Sudbury > 17 > Thunder Bay.

Looks a bit messy but makes a reasonably straight line across a large area.
You avoid slab and get to experience some of our best paved roads for motorcycling.
Hope you have a great trip!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #8
Kejidog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I am seeking the same info for my upcoming trip. I asked in an earlier post as well.

That website looks interesting. I am looking at that same route through Ontario but going west to east. I am leaving Alaska on this Sunday. Depending on where you want to end up out east i can recommend some byways to look for in NB and NS.
Kejidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
Corbeau
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
In an earlier thread, I asked for a paved recommendation across the Prairies (our Great Plains...) and got some really good suggestions...
Old 07-05-2015, 05:46 AM   #10
statsman
Weekend Warrior

Oddometer: 146
From Quebec City, you are pretty much stuck with the Autoroutes (similar to Interstate in the US).
There is a Quebec highway which runs along the south shore of the St. Lawrence which is enjoyable, but it's the main street of every town and village along the route with resulting speed restrictions.
Once in Ontario, you can take Hwy. 17 from Montreal to Ottawa. Follows the Ottawa River. You also have the Hwy 417 option (in Ontario the 400 series is again similar to Interstates).
North of Ottawa Hwy 17 is quite scenic as it follows the Ottawa River north.
At Sault Ste. Marie, if you have the time take the Agawa Canyon railroad trip.
My preference at the Sault is to go south, back into the States and take Michigan 28 and US 2 along the south shore of Superior. Come back into Canada at the Minnesota/Manitoba border.
The ride along the north shore of Superior is magnificent in it's rugged beauty, but for me its a been there done that sort of thing.
Once in Manitoba, you may find this ride report of use.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=985540

Now, my standard warning to all Americans visiting Canada. Hand guns (pistols) are prohibited.
Get caught with one in Canada and expect a hefty trip killing fine or a few days stay in the local jail.
Most Americans stop at the last town on the US side of the border and mail them home.

statsman screwed with this post 07-05-2015 at 06:01 AM
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:18 AM   #11
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

I don't MC with a pistol and am well aware of the Canadian gun scene, been there plenty of times, as said.
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #12
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
IDEAS?
Eh, Thanks!
Hmm, the "Eh" actually goes at the end, as in "Thanks, eh?" or "Molson Canadian, eh?"

I have a few route ideas to share - have been riding many years out here in Alberta and BC.

If you come through Calgary on TransCanada (Hwy 1), then Banff/Lake Louise is popular although crowded in tourist season. On google maps, check Calgary to Canmore on Hwy 1A, Canmore to Banff on TransCanada, then Banff to Lake Louise on TransCanada (or, a more quiet road is the Bow Valley Parkway).

Lots of hiking in Banff/Lake Louise area. Some classics start right at Lake Louise (behind the Chateau), including Plain of Six Glaciers (to a tea house), Agnes Lake (to a tea house), and Big BeeHive. These hikes are crowded but less so later in season. Also some great hikes from Morraine Lake at Lake Louise, including Larch Valley (if September, Larchs are turning) up to the col beneath Mt. Temple. I think the Morraine Lake hikes may have group restrictions b/c of grizzlies. There are plenty of other quieter hikes in the area too. If I had limited time I'd do Plain of the Six Glaciers, know that there'd be a ton of tourists, and call it a day.

A good diversion is the Columbia Ice Fields north from Lake Louise on the Ice Fields Parkway (Hwy 93). There is a little tent campground there were climber and nature types stay, and at 6600 feet or so the stars are fantastic on a clear night.

Although the ride from Columbia Ice Fields north to Jasper is beatuiful and Jasper is a great town, I would treat it as a diversion and head back south on the 93 to Lake Louise. From there, you are heading west, either west on the TransCanada to Golden then Revelstoke, or even better, for a diversion with a loop, go 20 clicks east from Lake Louise, take the 93 south to Radium Hot Springs, then 95 north to Golden/Transcanada, then west to Revelstoke.

From Revelstoke, you have an option, go west to Vancouver by more northern route on TransCanada (in that case, I'd stick north and go through Pemberton - described below), or go south and catch the sourthern route on Hwy 3.

Since riding the Kootenays in Southern BC is not to be missed, I would go south from Revelstoke on 23 and 6 to Nakusp and New Denver. Then you are in the Kootenay with lots of choice. You could go south on the 6 from New Denver to Nelson, an interesting historic town with lots of bars and restaurants (have dinner and a beer on Baker Street and you'll see why it's interesting). Or, go east from New Denver to Kaslo on Hwy 31A for some great twisties, then south on 31A past Ainsworth Hot Springs to Balfour - from there you can go west a short distance to Nelson, or for some of the best twisties in the area, go south on 3A from Balfour (catch free ferry) to Creston. From Creston you go west on Highway 3 through Stag Leap Park (real nice ride) and could even hook back up to Nelson, or just continue on Hwy 3 west. If you are in Nelson, then you go south a short distance and get on Hwy 3 west.

From there you can take Hwy 3 all the way across to Hope, B.C., where Rambo 1 was filmed. From there, drone 90 miles west on TransCanada to Vancouver. Or for a diversion (a sort of long diversion), go north from Hope area on the old TransCanada Highway (not the Coquiholla), which takes you up the Fraser Canyon past Hells Gate to Lilloet, then west on 99 through Pemberton, Whistler, Squamish to Vancouver (Sea to Sky Highway).

Anyway, just some ideas and you'll see if you map it out there are many different ways (I didn't even mention the Okanagon, which is nice), but I know these are some good motorcycle roads with nice stops along the way.

If you come through Calgary and need a cold beer or somewhere to do some maintenance on your bike or some local advice drop me a line.

John
Tigcraft Supermono (Formula, 450)
'90 FZR400

Cowtowner screwed with this post Yesterday at 11:13 AM Reason: to correct spelling of Nakusp
Cowtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:16 AM   #13
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

That's one heck of a great job, thanks

eh

I'm now thinking that a straight shot from KY up into ON makes more sense for my ride, rather than QC,QE as target-I've been there anyway.
Detroit is straight N of me. Is there a good routing that avoids Toronto.ON? Depending on when a new grandchild is born I may actually aim for Toronto and do a KC Royals BB game there. If so I'll be then asking for a good way to avoid urban sprawl/trafflic and stay cheaply while also getting to the ballgame. next few weeks will decide that one.

kantuckid screwed with this post Today at 05:40 AM
Old Today, 06:07 AM   #14
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
That's one heck of a great job, thanks

eh
you're welcome eh? have a good trip!
Tigcraft Supermono (Formula, 450)