User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2014, 05:55 AM   #1
996DL OP
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,150
Pissed ICBC 401 to 750cc rate class 312

Looks like my 07 DR650 dualsport, will be subsidizing all the 600 to 750cc hypersport riders crashing their brains out and requiring medical care.

With Vancouver Island basic liability in the 401 to 750cc rate class 312 category, near 3 times more expensive than insuring a DRZ400 in the 111 to 400cc rate class 311, I may have to flog the DR and replace it with a DRZ.

Having just returned back to the Wet Coast, after a 37 year absence in the bald ass prairies, means I'll jump whatever hurdles it takes to savour life back in paradise, but swapping bikes to facilitate affordable basic liability insurance in a dualsport category, is grating to say the least.

I don't care how affordable the RG500 is to insure with a collector plate, it's going up for sale anyways.

With changes coming to offroad vehicle licensing in BC, at least the KTM 300 will fall into the affordable 111 to 400cc category 311.

With the displacement of the Ulysses, I expected to get hosed anyways...
Will just insure it for part of the riding season at a time.

Anyways, rant off.

All it takes is four hours on Newcastle Island, a jaunt down the Cable Bay / Dodd Narrows trails, perhaps Biggs park / Jack Point and the insurance costs are put back into perspective, especially at this time of year.

996DL

996DL screwed with this post 12-15-2014 at 06:18 PM Reason: splnk aror
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
Collector plates are much more reasonable. I'm with you on hating the fact that we all get lumped into the same rate category.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,729
I agree that ICBC's engine size categorization doesn't seem to make much sense. I've lived with this, and our very high rates since 1976. I will say one thing about it, that the system does NOT black list any machines as happens with private insurance companies. And they will not refuse you insurance, but will increase it based on your driving record.

I too have an air cooled single [XR650L] which is MUCH slower than all 600 sportbikes out there. Gotta eat it I guess.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Out of curiosity for a guy who's planning a move to BC: What's the ICBC hit for PL/PD on a DR650 on the Island?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #5
996DL OP
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,150
This past Monday I was mostly concentrating on registering and insuring my pickup with ICBC, but made the mistake of inquiring about the DR650 and Buell minimal coverage. Suffice to say, it was 3 times what a DRZ400 would run, which was in the lower $200 range.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #6
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I feel bad for all the Harley riders paying the maximum ICBC insurance rates for bikes with 20 hp. That's just unfair
dustin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:46 AM   #7
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
It all evens out with the vintage coverage on my Norton, but thanks for your concern.
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
... yeah I thought about Collector plates, my old XS11 would now qualify ... but it's long gone .... on my ST13 I get basic from Ickey Bickey and then private for the rest, check it out, any Autoplan broker can do this for you.
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
canadian chris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
on my ST13 I get basic from Ickey Bickey and then private for the rest, check it out, any Autoplan broker can do this for you.
+1

I've been using Megson Fitzpatrick for private since 2008 and haven't had any bad experiences.
circling through the Canadian Rockies
2up thru Mexico
canadian chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
Ixheimer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
ICBC is a cash cow for the Provincial Gov't. Little incentive there for the bureaucrats in their comfy chairs to change much. I recall when I was in Europe, they had the sense to base rates on Horsepower vs Displacement. They also restrict learners on motorbikes to a machine 25 HP or less. Dealerships in Germany could offer a BMW R45 detuned to 25 HP to a new (young) rider. Once the rider passed his test & reached the designated age, the bike could easily be modified to remove the 25 HP restriction. It's not rocket science.

The wheels of government tend to turn very slowly if at all when it comes to anything that provides it with substantial income. Keep in mind if contemplating a move to the wonderful province of British Columbia, the BC also stands for "Bring Cash"!

On a positive note, Hydro is cheap.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #11
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Out of curiosity for a guy who's planning a move to BC: What's the ICBC hit for PL/PD on a DR650 on the Island?

I'm really not sure as there's significant discounts given for clean driving records. For instance the base rate for my '09 800GS is $1483 (liability only!) but I receive a 43% discount -which is the maximum- for not having a claims history. (Drops that figure to $845). Either way you slice it, it's pricey.

Almost no one I know uses ICBC for additional motorcycle coverage, as it seems they INTEND to have priced themselves out of the neighborhood for coverage. Beacon and Megson-Fitzpatrick are much better options, but their wording are slightly different regarding gravel roads, so choose accordingly.

Basically you can expect to pay in the ballpark of a thousand dollars a year to have decent coverage of a mid displacement motorcycle based here in BC.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #12
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
ICBC has been slowly increasing the basic insurance rate and lowering the optional coverage to try and snuff out the private insurers. Despite their efforts, my Chutter/Economical coverage remains much more inexpensive, with more features and has been reasonable to deal with. They pay out properly without needing to fight for every penny.
dustin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Will just insure it for part of the riding season at a time.
Ah, but they have that scheme well covered too. The rates for less than a year's worth of insurance go up higher and higher, for the shorter the period covered. "Short Term Insurance Surcharge Fee"

But if you buy a year's worth, and think you are clever by cancelling after 3, 6 or 9 months, you have to surrender your plate, which of course means you will get dinged with having to buy a new plate, and pay the new plate and new registration fees all over again.

L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
or ....
you could go live/ride in the bald prairies and flat lands(actually the rest of Canada east of Rockies) and save your "BC bring cash" money...
NOT!!!

edwin screwed with this post 12-03-2014 at 04:47 PM
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #15
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post

For comparison's sake, I will give you the numbers for my '08 - XR650L. BTW, I'm in Territory D, lower mainland Vancouver, so my rates will be slightly higher than yours on the upper island. Yearly base rate, $1135. FWI, I have optional third party liability through ICBC of $2,000,000, premium is $211/year. Add yearly license fee of $28, there you go.

BTW, I also have a multi vehicle collector plate, currently 5 bikes on it, highest engine size I have on it is 1000cc engine category [which is where the base cost is on collector plates] which I run all year, c/w $2,000,000 liability option, $600/year.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote