ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #20401
pixellman
Adventurer
 
pixellman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto-Canada
Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekomotto View Post
The Icon jacket looks pretty sweet. Anyone have any experience with icon's Patrol Jacket http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=1953?

I've only owned Tour Master and First Gear jackets.

Im on searching for a new jacket...
So far Klim is on ma list .but the new Icon looks interesting too.
I think will by hard to find someone here with a new line from Icon
pixellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #20402
alekomotto
Adventurer
 
alekomotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Oddometer: 91
Jacket Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellman View Post
Im on searching for a new jacket...
So far Klim is on ma list .but the new Icon looks interesting too.
I think will by hard to find someone here with a new line from Icon
I am on a jacket seeking expidition too. KLIM is cool but anything more than the Latitude is too expensive for me.

So here is what my search has come to:
KLIM - latitude
http://www.klimcanada.com/store/inde...uterwear&num=3

First Gear - Kathmandu
http://www.firstgear-usa.com/kat.html

Icon - Patrol series
http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=1953

Alpinestar - Durban & Long Range
http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/cate...re-tex-jacket/
http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/cate...rystar-jacket/

I've probably missed some good stuff but my search has just begun... not a fan of REVIT.
alekomotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #20403
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that
 
RumRunner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Great White North
Oddometer: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekomotto View Post
The Icon jacket looks pretty sweet. Anyone have any experience with icon's Patrol Jacket http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=1953?

I've only owned Tour Master and First Gear jackets.
This Jacket is made of Nylon, a poor choice, which is paramount to abrasion resistance. No talk of the seams (ie: double, triple sewn). Their description reads like marketing fluff. I would say that "might" be suitable as an over jacket when your wearing a full body armor. Icon makes cheap squid wear.

There have been lots of "adventure" type gear released in the last five years, much of it junk. IMHO stick to the track record proven gear - Stitch- BMW - Klim - Higher end TourMaster. Even Rev-it falls apart after a year or two of regular use.

Oh....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728736

The Fleamarket here is full of great used gear at 50% of retail

Good luck

DW
__________________
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where.
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #20404
alekomotto
Adventurer
 
alekomotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Oddometer: 91
great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
This Jacket is made of Nylon, a poor choice, which is paramount to abrasion resistance. No talk of the seams (ie: double, triple sewn). Their description reads like marketing fluff. I would say that "might" be suitable as an over jacket when your wearing a full body armor. Icon makes cheap squid wear.

There have been lots of "adventure" type gear released in the last five years, much of it junk. IMHO stick to the track record proven gear - Stitch- BMW - Klim - Higher end TourMaster. Even Rev-it falls apart after a year or two of regular use.

Oh....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728736

The Fleamarket here is full of great used gear at 50% of retail

Good luck

DW
Thanks for the great advice RumRunner!
alekomotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #20405
RobbieO
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Dumpmere - Muskoka
Oddometer: 8,161
The reports on some of this VERY expensive gear state that it is falling apart...

Why would I spend ridiculous amounts of money on fancy gear when my $129 Joe Rocket Ballistic coat has done a good job for 4 seasons of riding, including 2 years of ice riding?

Seems like a waste of money to me..................
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #20406
alekomotto
Adventurer
 
alekomotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post
The reports on some of this VERY expensive gear state that it is falling apart...

Why would I spend ridiculous amounts of money on fancy gear when my $129 Joe Rocket Ballistic coat has done a good job for 4 seasons of riding, including 2 years of ice riding?

Seems like a waste of money to me..................
Also a valid statement. I guess it all depends on preference. Which brings me back to square one.

alekomotto screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 08:16 PM
alekomotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #20407
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL
 
ScottDill's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 4,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post
The reports on some of this VERY expensive gear state that it is falling apart...

Why would I spend ridiculous amounts of money on fancy gear when my $129 Joe Rocket Ballistic coat has done a good job for 4 seasons of riding, including 2 years of ice riding?

Seems like a waste of money to me..................
Yeah, but do they have stuff in adult sizes?
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #20408
Natnewt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Natnewt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto Ontario
Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
Yeah, but do they have stuff in adult sizes?
AHAHAHHHAHH *cough*
__________________
1980 XR80s Deceased, first ever teardown.
1987 XL185s Deceased, at the bottom of the ocean.
1985 750 Interceptor Sold still alive somewhere.
2006 XR650L heavily farklefied Tendering in the garage.
2012 F800GS Triple Black Let the mods begin.

Natnewt screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 08:58 AM
Natnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #20409
H e a d N o r t h
(take the high road)
 
H e a d N o r t h's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Muskoka
Oddometer: 947
Zen & I picked up Rev'it pants this summer (mesh, with liners). They are great, and didn't cost too much.

.
__________________
...when necessary, use words.

First Ride...EVER!
Jan. 1, 2012
H e a d N o r t h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #20410
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore
 
Sewerat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Brooksdale, ON
Oddometer: 1,275
I have done my share of gear purchasing.

Had Olympia jacket last year. It lasted 3-4 months before the cordura ripped to sheds at the right pocket. It never took and crashes or slides. Have a pair of Kathmandu pants that took a slide in the winter on a gravel road and they were ok but tore thru to the boots at my shins very quickly.

Now wearing a klim latitude suit. It has taken many a bounce off road and has had 1 gravel road slide at about 30km/hr and one asphalt slide at about the same with minimal damage. It has IMHO held out just fine and I would consider it again.
__________________
2009 WR250R "Da Mini Bike"
"That's our colour: mud!"
Sewerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #20411
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
Yeah, but do they have stuff in adult sizes?
W H A M ! ! !


Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #20412
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore
 
KLRUSERIOUS?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto Ontario Eh?!??
Oddometer: 2,299
bastards!
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #20413
ArthDuro
quarantined
 
ArthDuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Westsideistan
Oddometer: 2,998
Anyone have a pic of that hat RobbieO wore to the batcave for technight?


__________________
my nx250 project pics
my mini ride reports
"parts made of unobtanium"
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:02 AM   #20414
GerryT
adrenaline junkie
 
GerryT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Elmira Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
I have done my share of gear purchasing.

Had Olympia jacket last year. It lasted 3-4 months before the cordura ripped to sheds at the right pocket. It never took and crashes or slides. Have a pair of Kathmandu pants that took a slide in the winter on a gravel road and they were ok but tore thru to the boots at my shins very quickly.

Now wearing a klim latitude suit. It has taken many a bounce off road and has had 1 gravel road slide at about 30km/hr and one asphalt slide at about the same with minimal damage. It has IMHO held out just fine and I would consider it again.
Dude. Your lucky to be alive by the sounds of that post! "took a slide in the winter on a gravel road". Lmao!
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #20415
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man
 
bwokentoof's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: no fixed address Ontario
Oddometer: 341
So far so good

thus far....

Ohio hammered us with rain
Tennessee was one big shit kicking, boot stomping honky tonk party
Alabama, watch out for snakes and armadillos
Mississippi, the land of the Delta blues...ahhh
Louisiana, hot, Hot, HOT.

The zenith was the New Orleans French quarter. Good gravy folks this is one town every human being has to experience at some point in their lives (just make sure you suspend any and all moral sensibilities while there).


Mudpuppy and I will be off the map for a while. Leaving for the Smokie's this morning to run the Dragon's tail, Devils Triangle, Blue Ridge, yadda yadda before we spoon on some knobbies for the TET heading up towards the Virginias.


The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.




P.S. If you decide to bring your mate to the French quarter, they better have an open mind......
bwokentoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014