Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,219
Signal Minder

the owner of KISAN is a litltle strange,but this product totallyRoCkS

-full time running lights.
- self cancelling,via brake use.
-3 different intensities.
-takes about two minutes if not less to install(to attache the brake sensor takes a little longer 5/10 minutes more)
-each side need only one botton to operate punch one activate punch again stop,,great ,simple.

I don't how many more features but this things are great,we need to call the GUY ,to get more info.

I don't have anything to do with him(actually i don't really like him much,superficial impression,maybe),but I do admire a good product,this one rocks, i got it, and i pay retail, too.
,specially if you commute ,ride in the rain,you know use your bike like i do
Old 12-21-2002, 01:23 PM   #2
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
I have one as well...I don't leave the running light feature on all the time, but at night or in the rain/fog it really increases your visibility. I also have the Kisan deceleration warning light. The halogen bulb is brighter than the stock bulb and modulates when you apply the brakes...really catches the eye.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 01:29 PM   #3
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

i think I'm a GEEK even if i don't want to admited.

I 'm a sucker for sefaty improvements..

sherpa do you know him,ask him to post more tecnical data, and i hope he is not to ,
Old 12-21-2002, 04:44 PM   #4
Deacon
Ready, shoot, aim

Oddometer: 1,113
Running lights

Warning, Hazard, Warning Will...
Just got my first traffic citation from believe it or not a mc cop!!! I have the autoswitch with auto cancelling turn signals which can be hard set or electronically defeated to allow the "turn signals" to be on for visibility. This cop pulled me over and for lack of a better word, interrogated me as to "what are those lights" I maintained they were turn signals. He said running lights and gave me a ticket for illegal lights to the tune of $109.

Oregon law says that you can have amber turn signals but any continously operating light facing the rear must be red. I think of how many bikes I have seen lit up like xmas trees and this guy busts my chops for amber lights. Funny, someone must have thought additional lights were a good idea because he had a pair of 3" blue lights.

To me another example of mindless harrassment and really pi___ed off because he was a motor officer.

Deacon
Old 12-21-2002, 11:08 PM   #5
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,633
Thumb SignalMinder SM-5 (v.25) review for a '02 GS Adv

i've been meaning to write up a review on this product for some time; i'll just contribute my impressions to this thread instead. i'll start out with my initial impressions (which are probably too long), but i promise it winds up being a happy ending,... :):

i picked up a SignalMinder a few months ago, and didn't care much for it at first; when i contacted Kisan about it, they offered to exchange it for the most recent version and i'm very pleased with the product i've got now.

i wasn't really interested in the turn signal canceling feature; i was specifically interested in the running lights feature. (here in CA, rear-facing lights are allowed to be "Yellow to Red".)
[CORRECTION: rear-facing lights in CA must now be Red only, but i'll risk a silly ticket in the sake of improving my chances of being alive to fight it.]

my complaints with the first unit i got were:

- you needed to hold the turn signal button a little longer. they say you need to hold it down for about 200 milliseconds, and that's not a lot, but what i noticed is that i couldn't just 'tap' the button anymore, it required that i 'press' it. it's not a big deal, but i did have to re-train myself somewhat. on the flip side, i didn't set off the signals by accidentally tapping the button anymore!

- the signal indicator lights stayed on with the signal lights. (this is something i wasn't aware of until i opened the package and was reading the instructions...) again, not a big deal, i suppose, and you almost can't see them glowing when they're on the lower setting, but it was a surprise to me and i don't like surprises like that after i've already read all the available advertising for a product in advance. also, i don't generally like having to train myself to ignore lights on what is essentially a warning light panel, but since they're green lights, i have an easier time with it.

- since the SignalMinder is a replacement for the flasher unit and is a tiny bit larger, there's a little tray sorta' thing under the factory BMW flasher that you have to remove to fit the SignalMinder in. that tray just clips in, but it's a bit of a b*tch to get at the retaining clip to get it out. (it's one of those things that probably is really easy to assemble in the factory, but probably wasn't really meant to be serviceable.) i was able to get
mine out eventually by releasing it with a long narrow screwdriver. this isn't really a fault with the
SignalMinder...

- it's kinda' weird, but when you first pressed the turn signal button or the signal Cancel button, the signals blinked brighter for a very brief instant. this might be a good thing as it might better help to get the attention of other motorists, but it seemed weird to me. i know it doesn't seem like it should be a big deal, but i found the flash on the instrument panel distracting, and any distractions while i'm motoring are definitely not welcome.

as i mentioned, i contacted Kisan, and they offered to exchange my unit for a new version. i had expected that they were going to just re-flash a newer version of the software into it, so imagine my surprise when i received a completely new unit!
all my issues had been addressed more than satisfactorily in the new unit, and the new unit even held a few pleasant surprises...
- the signals are engaged just as rapidly now as the stock BMW unit.

- although the indicator lights still stay on with the running lights, the low intensity level (which i use most of the time) doesn't seem to be quite as bright.

- the new unit is in a metal case instead of the plastic case of the previous version, and has the same Molex locking connector as the BMW flasher unit. it's still a little taller than the BMW flasher so you still need to remove the little tray-thingy, but i'd already done that.

- the signals (and more importantly the indicators) no longer blink when canceled!

surprise additional Good Things are:
- Quick Cancel: you are now able to cancel a signal by tapping the turn signal switch a second time; no need to use the Cancel button anymore! huzzah!

- Lane Change: a Rapid Flash feature that will blink the indicators rapidly for a few seconds if you hold down the turn signal button when you initially press it.

all in all, i think it's now a great product, and makes the signals and running lights work the way i think they should have in the first place! but be aware that i'm specifically talking about the V.25; it was the V.22 i didn't care for.

i hope Ricardo won't mind if i attempt to help clarify a couple of his comments:
- the full time running lights are switchable; they can be set to be any of 3 levels including off, full intensity, or a reduced intensity (which i use all the time).
- the brake feature he alludes to allows you to wire the unit so that it will suspend the count-down timer while the brake light is engaged, so that if you're sitting at a turn waiting for a green light, the timer won't count down and cancel your turn signal.

all in all, this product is good for at least an 8.5 out of 10; i'd have given it a solid 10 if it had been clear from the advertising documentation that the indicator lights were going to be lit all the time, and if it hadn't have taken 3+ weeks to get my new unit back from the time that it was received (after i was told that it would be turned around in 2-3 days).

cheers!
e

'02 GS Adv

zouch screwed with this post 03-29-2003 at 08:42 AM
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 11:59 PM   #6
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

on the contrary

you are more than welcome.

actually that is the whole point of this site,every body is welcome to express there opinion,specially you that show me the unit,so far i like it a lot,maybe i'm less picky,or i just like shinny things??????
Old 12-22-2002, 05:07 AM   #7
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Re: Running lights

Quote:
Originally posted by shlbrn
Warning, Hazard, Warning Will...
Just got my first traffic citation from believe it or not a mc cop!!! I have the autoswitch with auto cancelling turn signals which can be hard set or electronically defeated to allow the "turn signals" to be on for visibility. This cop pulled me over and for lack of a better word, interrogated me as to "what are those lights" I maintained they were turn signals. He said running lights and gave me a ticket for illegal lights to the tune of $109.

Oregon law says that you can have amber turn signals but any continously operating light facing the rear must be red. I think of how many bikes I have seen lit up like xmas trees and this guy busts my chops for amber lights. Funny, someone must have thought additional lights were a good idea because he had a pair of 3" blue lights.

To me another example of mindless harrassment and really pi___ed off because he was a motor officer.

Deacon
I was wondering about this...it's why I do not keep the running light feature on all the time...hopefully if some cop pulls me over in really shitty weather with them on, common sense might take hold.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 07:56 AM   #8
RJK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
the full time running lights are switchable; they can be set to be any of 3 levels including off, full intensity, or a reduced intensity (which i use all the time)
Are they switchable on the handle bars or do you have to get at the metal box?
Old 12-22-2002, 07:59 AM   #9
Deacon
Ready, shoot, aim

Oddometer: 1,113
good stuff

Lest anyone mistake my story about the ignorant LEF, I really like the signal cancel device. I even showed the idiot the cancelling feature for the "running lights" The version I have requires you to push the cancel button and emergency flashers at the same time to soft cancel that feature. You also have the option of hard switches on the module itself for a mechanical defeat. I don't know how that transfers to what I believe is a newer version.

Deacon
Old 12-22-2002, 12:48 PM   #10
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,633
hi!

with both the old V.22 and the V.25, you can do all the different configuring using the switches on the bars.

cheers!
e

Quote:
Originally posted by RJK

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 05:01 AM   #11
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Re: Running lights

Quote:
Originally posted by shlbrn ...To me another example of mindless harrassment...
Yep. I know of a fellow who was stopped for having a "headlight" out on his truck. It was broad daylight, and the "headlight" in question was a daytime running light, NOT a headlight. The Badger didn't give a rat's hinder about any of that, despite being shown how they can be (legally) overridden and turned off altogether. Nope, just sign here and pay up you useless taxpayer. Gotta feed The Beast ya know...

Old 12-23-2002, 05:24 AM   #12
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,154
Quote:
Originally posted by RJK
It can be set up in soft mode so you can reprogram it from the handlebars - it is way cool.

He is also right, the older version sucked, I had to get two replacements from them - recommend that you buy them directly from Kisan - most of the ones hanging in the dealerships that I have seen are back level.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 09:07 AM   #13
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Signal Minder rocks

I have mine set with the run'n lights at 1/2 power. They really show up at night

I think about possible tickets cause amber face'n rear is illegal in all of the US as far as I know.

I will take the chance and risk the ticket in order to live longer.

Lets see if I change my mind after my first ticket
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 09:19 AM   #14
John Macdonald
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,680
running light traffic tickets...

As an old fat man told me once-

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."

If running lights is what you want for visibility, running lights is what you should have.
Isn't a running light traffic ticket just a fix-it ticket anyway?
Don't you just have to 'undo' the problem and then have a cop check it off...
Fix it after the cop signed it off and ride off into the sunset.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:22 AM   #15
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Signal Minder rocks

I think about possible tickets cause amber face'n rear is illegal in all of the US as far as I know.

I did not know that parts(law and the big brother),what about something like "painting" the lens the way he suggest ,that sounds a little difficult
basic rules of "semiotics" about signals
RED for REAR, white for front ,orange for the sides or turning,does somebody knows how to have a low red fillament and a orange for turning,maybe using one of those REd signal budies(10 led's in two sets of five,the ones that you into the turn signal casing).
I confuse i want some :1zhelp,WE WANT SOME:1zhelp