User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
markgsnw OP
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,589
Hein Gericke Cargo Overpants?

anyone have a pair of these? How dry are they in a rain storm? How cool in the heat without the liner? Are these really the 'swiss army knife' of pants?
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,117
no. these are
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107289
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
rcompton
I am not Iron Man

Oddometer: 2,519
I have a pair: They aren't very warm, so if you do a lot of cool weather riding they aren't a do-it-all pant, but great for three season. I know they aren't as protective as non-mech pants, but they work great for me. With the liner in they have been 100% waterproof, but I have only been in an extended rain once, and only for about an hour. Several other times in steady rain and/or drizzle without any leaking.

Kurt Vonnegut
rcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcompton
I have a pair: They aren't very warm, so if you do a lot of cool weather riding they aren't a do-it-all pant, but great for three season. I know they aren't as protective as non-mech pants, but they work great for me. With the liner in they have been 100% waterproof, but I have only been in an extended rain once, and only for about an hour. Several other times in steady rain and/or drizzle without any leaking.
Agreed. Mine are warm enough and 100% waterproof. No complaints at all.
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
SilverRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
These are the best overpants I've ever owned. And they are cheaper than a lot of others.

Warmth is relative since they are "over" pants. Want more warmth? Wear the flannel lined jeans underneath instead of the unlined ones. I wore these to work this morning (19F) with a pair of caual cordoroys. Not cold at all...
Old 12-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
RogueMonkey
compensating hose clamp

Oddometer: 3,509
I have a pair. Very good all around overpants. No leaks in the rain and I did ge to crash test them, passed with flying colors Newenough.com carries hip armor for them, I suggest you get it. HTH

RogueMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
bryanb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I have a pair that I have owned for over a year. Crashed in them on a dirt road at about 45 MPH. They held up ok to the crash. Lots of loose threads though. I have a pair of HG gloves that have loose threads too. It makes me think the HG doesn' pay attention to the stitching much. I think they are not warm enough in the winter and too hot in the hottest summer days. Also the loose fit, although comfortable, means the knee pads don't stay in place. When I am ready to buy another pair of pants, I am goin to look into these from olympia moto sports.

bryanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:14 PM   #8
Leu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Have a pair

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
anyone have a pair of these? How dry are they in a rain storm? How cool in the heat without the liner? Are these really the 'swiss army knife' of pants?
I was poured on last summer once and they kept me dry. As others have said, not warm enough in winter and no hip armor. For my waist size they are a bit short for me sitting on the bike. I wear 34/34 in Levi's and got size 36 cargo overpants.
Leu is offline   Reply With Quote