ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2005, 08:48 AM   #1
HappyGoLucky OP
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,311
Going to make tank guards

Hi All

I want to make tank guards - after searching with the new Google enhanced search function I found BigTwins original post where he posted the results of his good work (wow!) and this inspired me.

I am ordering my bike tomorrow and know that I want some decent protection.

Looking up at the tanks and where they get scuffed, do you all think it would be wise and feasible to not only make guards for the lower portion of tank, but also a snug fitting cover for the upper portion of the tanks and leading front edge.

Surely this would be useful in protecting the tanks not only from cosmetic damage - but also from structural damage.

So now its question time:

1) Would it be feasible to make the guards out of fibgreglass cloth? If so, how many layers would it require to be as strong as a 6 layered carbon fibre kevlar guard?

2) Would anyone else be interested in these goodies?

Well, I am ordering my bike tomorrow so lets see what comes up

Thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
Brucasso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
All the carbon fiber guards are good for are rock chips. They will not save a tank in a crash like the bars will. They do look good tho and are a must have for any posers.
Brucasso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
HappyGoLucky OP
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Hey Brutus

Well after researching this exact topic (must have gone through 20 odd threads), it seems that the conscencus is actually in favour of the carbon tank protectors as opposed to the bars which slip, bend inwards and sometimes nudge the tank too.

Only complaint I have seen is that the KTM ones are quite fragile and therefore not worth it..
Old 12-01-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
950TRANSALP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Thumb Twisted Throttle

SWmotech and Hepco Becker ! These folks have both , I've used the SW's all summer with no bends , no scratches on tank and there lots less than carbon . Great people to work with too! www.twistedthrottle.com K.B.
950TRANSALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInTheOutdoors
Hey Brutus

Well after researching this exact topic (must have gone through 20 odd threads), it seems that the conscencus is actually in favour of the carbon tank protectors as opposed to the bars which slip, bend inwards and sometimes nudge the tank too.

Only complaint I have seen is that the KTM ones are quite fragile and therefore not worth it..
Toss that bike down a hill and over a few logs and rocks, you'll be glad to have the protection of the bars over the carbon covers. A little bending is better than losing a tank if you want to ride back home. Of course the ideal setup is both.
If all you plan on doing just gravel and such the carbon fiber will probably hold up just fine.

In my opinion, I need the bars, the carbon will only help for a punture type of injury to the bike, such as a small rock or gravel might cause. I don't see how they can help keep you from ripping a tank off the bike in the woods or rocks etc.

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by 950TRANSALP
SWmotech and Hepco Becker ! These folks have both , I've used the SW's all summer with no bends , no scratches on tank and there lots less than carbon . Great people to work with too! www.twistedthrottle.com K.B.
What type of crashes have your bars been through? Highsides, lowsides, rolls, what? It helps to hear the abuse these things take in order to understand their value.
I have the KTM bars, and so far no major crashes on them however I have thoroughly thashed my bike through some extremely tight woods. The kind where you lean the bike into the tree trunk in order to slip the back end around because the turns are to tight. Also the trail was not wide enough so I had to use the bars to part the trees as I passed through.

So, once again I like the bars over the carbon covers, but think the ideal setup is both.

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #7
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,454
Fly-n-Go crashed in the barstow to vagas and bent his bars into the tank and cracked his tank. I dont know much more than that. Well have to see if we can get him to post some pics.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:02 PM   #8
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
Carbon Guards and tank protection bars

I've yet to see or even hear of any of our carbon tank guards failing in any instance. They are very thick, sturdy as hell, and mount fairly easily.

They offer excellent protection.

I think combined with a set of tank protection bars you have everything covered very well. There are a number of bars available from Hepco Becker, SW Mo, KTM, and Touratech. I think for the most part they are all pretty decent and some protect more then others.

Kevlar is great for abrasion resistance but it is expensive as hell. Big Twins guards are very nice hand made items and did the job well.

thanks,
A
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #9
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
Fly-n-Go crashed in the barstow to vagas and bent his bars into the tank and cracked his tank. I dont know much more than that. Well have to see if we can get him to post some pics.
Hmm..if he crashed hard enough to bend the bars, I wonder what would've happened if he didn't have bars?
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:19 PM   #10
Tennktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Sw Motech

Does anyone have any experience with the SW MOTECH crash bars????????? I think I may prefer the build and price of them over the HBs and KTMs.....
Tennktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,386
Crash Bars...

These look to be pretty sturdy if not a bit pricey at 399 euros.

http://www.evamotor.nl/Motorcycles/K...k%20protection

Pointman,

Scuffed both tanks in Baja, no Cracks!
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:57 PM   #12
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,746
why you need crash guards,

protection that fails,,, KTM carbon fiber junk!

my advise would be to stick with Kevlar or buy the ones Andrew swears by,
if your gonna do crash bars make sure they break away easily so as to not effect the integrity if the bike, jmo..
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #13
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Oddometer: 2,322
This was what his looked like

this is what mine looked like

pretty good hit I was in a full drift when I hit him sideway foot peg first then me and the tank. The only damage to the tanks was a leaking fuel line. I rode home. My opinion is the good tank guards that big twin makes AND crash bars are the ideal. FYI the paint gets a little scratched up under the guards from dust and water getting in between the paint and the gaurd so don't think of this as a way to protect the shine.
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #14
zak0r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus61
All the carbon fiber guards are good for are rock chips. They will not save a tank in a crash like the bars will. They do look good tho and are a must have for any posers.
so how many times have you thrown your bike to the ground, slid around with it, dropped it etc?

experience by quite a large number of german lc8 abusers shows that thanks to the slick shape of the lc8, you want it to scrape over the ground, protected by carbon tankpads. that way it doesnt hook to any objects and dissipates energy slower. crashbars do nothing but bad for the bike, they make it hook to objects, have danger of damaging the frame etc.
get carbon pads for the lower tank like the 06 models have in plastic and make sure to get folding mirrors and the oem pannier mounts who protect the mufflers from damage adequately.
apart from that, the nine fiddy is very crash worthy and does not need bars like the bmw's who have these cylinders sticking out that need protection.
crashbars are just a bling bling looks item on the 950, go for carbon guards, preferably 2mm thick and not as useless as the KTM oem ones.
zak0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:03 AM   #15
HappyGoLucky OP
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Hey Guys, I just did some extensive phoning around and have located kevlar to use. Pretty darn expensive stuff. I am envisaging making guards not only for the lower tank, but also for the upper tank (with holes for the tank bolts etc). I also envisage these wrapping around the leading edge of the tank (the part facing the front)

Anybody think this a great idea? Yes/ No?

And why use Carbon Fibre when its not really that strong in terms of impact and abrasion resistance? Might just use 6 layers of kevlar like BigTwin did, interlaced with glass fibre to make these tank guards.

That way, no pretty tanks getting scuffed up and all the protection in the world. I imagine that the tank guards would provide structural rigidity to the tanks too?

ANd lastly, if theres a glass fibre expert in the house, which resin is best to use - the epoxy or poly resin? I dont want to destroy my nice new tanks thanks!

Cheers, LITO