User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
Test_rider OP
(Ultra)Sound Advisor

Oddometer: 257
Tail light replacement Bulbs 2009 530EXC

I recently bought a 2009 530EXC. I am trying to find replacement light bulbs. I am not sure what type of tail light assembly it is and can't seem to upload a pic. However, after some research, I believe it is part of a "Euro Under fender and light Assembly" I believe the light part number is 7801404000. Does anyone know if you can buy replacement bulbs for this? I can't seem to find any.
When I got it, it appeared that 1 out of 3 bulbs in tail light were dead. However, still bright and brake lights worked. Yesterday I am down to 1 dim bulb and no brake lights. Maybe it's a connector issue or maybe it is the bulbs. Looking at pictures online, it appears there are quite a few more than 3 bulbs. I will be taking it apart this evening but was hoping I could get any info beforehand.
I tried to search for this on the forums and had no luck, so please forgive me if it is a easy question. Regarding the Search function, is there a place where I can get the rules. Seems adding +'s or "s doesn't change how it searches.
Thanks
Test_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Test_rider OP
(Ultra)Sound Advisor

Got a photobucket account

Created a Photobucket account. Here is a pic of the assembly. Bike is running and lights are on in this pic.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,368
If it is incandescent I would just replace the whole light with an under fender LED unit. They are WAY brighter, pull less juice and seem to be pretty bulletproof. I bought a whole under fender unit for cheap, pulled just the tail/brake light off and added it to my 640. Baja Designs, Sicass, Traitech, etc. all have them or you can try a cheap eBay special like I did.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
Test_rider OP
(Ultra)Sound Advisor

Removed light

I checked the plug to be sure there was voltage first. It was strange, went from -.1V at idle to+.6V revving. Only a single LED came on. I hooked it direct to battery and same thing, same single LED comes on whether powered through brake light or running light. Battery is at 13.3 V. Not sure what is going on there, but the result is the same. Light is definitely bad.
One thing I realized is that there is no license plate light. I'm trying to find a replacement that will fit in the Eurofender set up and has a license plate light, but no luck. Checked Sicass and Baja Designs so far.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Test_rider OP
(Ultra)Sound Advisor

License Plate Lights

Here is a cool alternative for license plate lights that I found on eBay. They are bolts with built in LED's. May be kind of a hassle to install the plate at first, but then your good to go. Has anyone tried these? Search "LED License Plate Bolts" Form $5 to $15 per pair.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
Test_rider OP
(Ultra)Sound Advisor

Finally working on rear light again. The original KTM Euro Light (see photos above) is ridiculously expensive, and it has NO license plate light (Illegal here in Louisiana). I got this light from Baja Designs and did not realize that it fit the same fender except for the pointed out bracket. Does anyone have this bracket? Will save me tons from the fender or the original KTM light.

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM   #7
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,014
Doubt that you'll find the exact same bracket sold / available separately.

It would be easier to go to your local home depot or some place where they sell L-brackets in small sizes. Buy two of them and bend them as required to mount your new tail light. Make a template out of cardboard (with markings for the holes) to find the right bracket at the hardware store.
Old Today, 07:08 AM   #8
Test_rider OP
(Ultra)Sound Advisor

I was thinking the same thing, Vicks, but realized they don't include the plug either with the individual light, only the fender assembly. How do I get the old plug off?
Old Today, 07:13 AM   #9
Test_rider OP
(Ultra)Sound Advisor

BTW, I just read email from Baja Designs-they do sell the bracket. I asked them about the electrical plug and the cost.