User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,625
The 2014-2015 KTM 690 Enduro Thread

I'm very new to the 690 and just saw a post from another inmate that gave me the idea of starting this thread. I hope it catches on as it would really make things easier for those of us that have the newer 690 models. I read so much information in the WUNDERFEST that does not apply to my bike because I didn't know of a few major differences between the earlier models and the 2014/2015 models.

Here is the post that has given me the inspiration to start this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlou View Post
I have a 14' 690 and a 13' 990.

Let me clear up some common questions and comments for newer owners.

1) starting in 2014, the 690 cannot connect to tune ECU. Dealer must flash new maps.

2) twitchy throttle does NOT include 2014 and later 690s. When comparing STOCK maps, the difference between my 13' 990 and 14' 690 is incredible. Makes me want to kick my 990 to the curb.

3) The 2014 and newer 690s are ride by wire throttle and a dual spark motor, similarly found in the 690 duke.

4) Maps from 2013 and older 690s are completely different than 2014 and newer. The 2014 motor is a different animal and discussions of MPG, throttle response, and air fuel ratio (lean or rich) must be separated.

5) A slip on Wings exhaust with EITHER DB killer installed does not need a new map unless you do air box modifications.

I hope this clears up some questions for the noobs (like myself)

Lou
Please join me in posting up more differences and 2014/2015 690 specific information only.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,421

Mine will be in my garage in a few weeks. Looking forward to this thread. Thanks for starting.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
Shake
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Great thread idea and I'm sure there are others that will appreciate the separation due to the technical differences.

To add to the discussion, here are a few notes I pulled from my list of things to do on my '14.

1. Exhaust mods: Complete kits are available from Arrow, Akro, and FMF in addition to the popular Wings muffler.
2. Intake mods: EVO 1/2 or just a filter swap
3. ECU mods: PowerCommander with/without the Autotune box (read about it here, and do a vehicle search on the UK Dynojet site for the 2014. Vortex ECU is listed under the fitment section at ktmtwins.
4. Clutch: Rekluse has an autoclutch for 14-15's
5. Upper/Lower tank mount bolts still a high priority upgrade
6. Levers were initially difficult to find with the switch to fly-by-wire. MG-Tek have replacements/upgrades and ktmtwins is taking pre-orders for FR Racing levers for 14's.

I'm sure there's plenty more to add to the differences and must-do's on the 14-15's.... just a short list of what I'm researching for my bike.

I'd really like to find a Pod air filter that wasn't a K&N for the EVO 2 intake setup. I ride in the sand and dust of SoCal and the K&N makes me cringe a little.
2014 690 R - Renazco Seat, Scotts dampener, Pivot Pegs, Folding levers from MG-Biketec, RR upper/lower tank mount bolts, Pro Taper w/ RC bend, Highwaydirtbikes NexGen Handguards, Hammerhead clutch lever, KTM map switch, 190 t-stat to list a few.

Shake screwed with this post 03-06-2015 at 09:36 PM
Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
Great thread idea and I'm sure there are others that will appreciate the separation due to the technical differences.

To add to the discussion, here are a few notes I pulled from my list of things to do on my '14.

1. Exhaust mods: Complete kits are available from Arrow, Akro, and FMF in addition to the popular Wings muffler.
2. Intake mods: EVO 1/2 or just a filter swap
3. ECU mods: PowerCommander with/without the Autotune box, Vortex ECU
4. Clutch: Rekluse has an autoclutch for 14-15's
5. Upper/Lower tank mount bolts still a high priority upgrade
6. Levers were initially difficult to find with the switch to fly-by-wire. MG-Tek have replacements/upgrades and ktmtwins is taking pre-orders for FR Racing levers for 14's.

I'm sure there's plenty more to add to the differences and must-do's on the 14-15's.... just a short list of what I'm researching for my bike.

I'd really like to find a Pod air filter that wasn't a K&N for the EVO 2 intake setup. I ride in the sand and dust of SoCal and the K&N makes me cringe a little.
There is nothing from Power Commander(unless the one for DukeR works) or Vortex for 14-15's.
wsmc831 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Duane1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk View Post
I'm very new to the 690 and just saw a post from another inmate that gave me the idea of starting this thread. I hope it catches on as it would really make things easier for those of us that have the newer 690 models. I read so much information in the WUNDERFEST that does not apply to my bike because I didn't know of a few major differences between the earlier models and the 2014/2015 models.

Here is the post that has given me the inspiration to start this thread.

Please join me in posting up more differences and 2014/2015 690 specific information only.
Please disregard a PM I sent you...........it was answered in #5.

Thanks again!
Duane1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #6
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 9,004
Has anyone customized their stock suspension settings?

I'm very curious to hear how you set your forks and rear suspension for your riding and size. I just spoke to a dealer who told me that none of his customers has yet requested a custom set up. He's also had several guys who have complained of "choppy" handling yet they've stayed with the stock set up. I'm not talking about revalving or spring replacement but simply adjusting within the range that WP provides out of the box.

I'd also like to hear where your bike was set when you got it, they're often set on the harsher road or sport settings.

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
THop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

I'm very curious to hear how you set your forks and rear suspension for your riding and size. I just spoke to a dealer who told me that none of his customers has yet requested a custom set up. He's also had several guys who have complained of "choppy" handling yet they've stayed with the stock set up. I'm not talking about revalving or spring replacement but simply adjusting within the range that WP provides out of the box.

I'd also like to hear where your bike was set when you got it, they're often set on the harsher road or sport settings.

Alot of people are using super plush of Konflict to have there suspensions tuned. I dont really have enough on mine yet to see how i want mine changed. I believe i read somewhere on here that the 14's and up can still have there legs lenghtened to the 300mm suspension, but it involves some custom work to the internals of the forks due to the 14's and up having the forks set up different from factory ie; one fork is for rebound and one for damping i believe.

Some more differences (14's and up) that i know of:
- muffler only has one mounting bolt instead of 2 on the older models. That said if you do come a cross a good deal on an older silencer then the mounting bracket from pre 14 can be purchased and bolts on.
- only one computer compaired to pre 14's that have 2 comouters under seat.
- 2 spark plugs of different sizes (i think) compaired to 1 plug for pre 14's
- fly by wire throttle instead of cable
- Abs
- the right side filter is straight through instead of only open on one side to accomidate the oil line connected to the filter cover. (Someone correct me if this started pre 14)
- no SAS garbage to remove.

There are probably more i just cannot think of them. Hmmm i vote for a 14-15 differnece list in the first post of this thread
84 Nighthawk
THop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
Dan950ser
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 486
Well glad to see this thread started as I just picked up my new 2015 690 two days ago. So far I've ordered CJ rear cap kit, Perun tank bolt kit, Wings can and I'm about to order a foam filter. My question is the touratech filter kit fit right compared to the KtmTwins which I've heard has fitment issues? I'm pretty sure the Hardparts is just made by Uni for them to market. So touratech and hardparts is the Australian Uni kit? Sorry for the long winded question. Here she is when I got her home!

Old 03-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
THop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Sharp looking bike man! As far as i know the hardparts is just the Aussie Uni you just pay more for the Orange color. The fitment issues is due to excess plastic around where the filter seats. In the next few days i will be clearing mine out and i will take some pics of before, the process, and after and post up here. Also a few little hacks i have borrowed(stolen) from the great guys on this site will be implemented on my bike in the next few days when i get the bolts. I will put up the information as well as pics of it for anyone else who wants to do the same.

Another note: the rear brake lever bolt problem that plauged the pre 14's is still an issue. Make sure you correct this recall either yourself or by stealership before you find yourself in a position where you need the rear brake and have no pedal. I will take pics of mine as well when i do it in a few days. I also believe there is a recall on the gas cal venting line. If im not mistaken. If i wasent on my phone i would actually get the links and post it up, fat fingers and small screens mean i only type on my phone and still it is a slow process
84 Nighthawk
THop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by THop View Post

Some more differences (14's and up) that i know of:
- no SAS garbage to remove.

There are probably more i just cannot think of them. Hmmm i vote for a 14-15 differnece list in the first post of this thread
So this is news to me, and another reason I'm glad this thread is already growing!
There no SAS on the 14/15?
So the only smog crap that needs to go is the canister and all the associated hoses that go with it?
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 5,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

I weigh 200 lbs.
Sticking with your request to not talk about revalving or spring replacement----for me--------I've found the rear shock to be perfect and the front suspension-----------no matter what you do--------------to be absolutely horrible. On the softest settings the front deflects so bad I've thought the thing was going to kill me a few times in the rocks----not even brutal ones. I think my wheelbarrow is better.

My 1974 Bultaco Pursang had better front forks.
And my Yamaha WR250R has perfect front forks------wish I could stick them on there.

BigDog
Old 03-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
Anders-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by THop View Post
- the right side filter is straight through instead of only open on one side to accomidate the oil line connected to the filter cover. (Someone correct me if this started pre 14)
The oil pressure sensor was added in '12.
Anders- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #13
paulooliveira
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thumb Fuel

Hello all!

I bring to the thread my one week old Enduro 690.
I'm curious about fuel mileages of 2014/2015 690's
Can we share our experiences here?

Settings/Mods:

- Akrapovic slip on
- Akrapovic map
- ABS Dongle
- Under the seat map selector -> 3 (Standard)

Still breaking in, and avoiding RPMs over 4500 I got 192km (120mi) on my first tank before the fuel reserve light turns on.

Can you share your experiences?

Tnx!
paulooliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #14
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 1,421
Wow, my post has created a whole new thread. I feel like a father :)

14s and up don't have SAS. They still have the canister. I removed mine asap and replaced the valve with a resister. I built a bunch and sold em for $15 for beer money!
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #15
wairau
richie

Oddometer: 1,424
whose pannier racks are those pls dan?
wairau is offline   Reply With Quote