Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #136
Mountainear
Out of shape Mtnbiker

Oddometer: 7
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
For any of you who've ridden both the KLX250 and the KLR250 - what're the main differences? While the KLX looks thinner, leaner, meaner and more dirt worthy it seems to be actually be a few pounds heavier than the KLR. I'd imagine the suspension is better, but anything else you can tell us?
Thanks,
Dave
Hello all, I've been reading this thread with interest since it was fairly new. BMWHD said earlier, page 3 or 4?, after the side by side tech comparison that, "The suspension and frame on the KLX make it a whole different animal than the KLR250 despite the similarities on paper." I'm new to motorcycling period, would anyone talk more about what they know about the differences 'twixt the two? Like Hannda, I'm curious about that. About the only info I have to trade with is that my KTM 300 MXC goes scary fast on the flats, but like a rocket up a hill. Also, I believe BMWHD earlier was going to give us his impressions on how the KLX250s handles on the street, any luck with that? Thanks for your time and bother.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #137
rlmeskimen
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Two Different Models offered in Japan

Afternoon,

Over here in Japan they make this bike it two flavors. The same dual sport version as in the States but also they also offer a supermotard version. You can get either version, a year or two old, for about $2700. I am looking at the SM version and getting some dirt wheels for it as there isn't a whole lot of trails up here but enough to make it worthwhile to have the second set of wheels. This string is about the only review I can find as most of the others are in Japanese. There is some intereting accessories for the bikes on the Kawasaki Japan (offer 5 different pipes) website. Here is a translated version to the Kawasaki website. On the right are links to the cycles (in Japanese) and you are looking for the D-Tracker.

http://translate.google.com/translat...ki-motors.com/

Keep posting and I will let you know if I get one.

Ryan Meskimen
rlmeskimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:17 AM   #138
BigPines
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I can get the Jet numbers for you that I picked up at the Kawasaki Shop.
I believe these are the small ones. There the same as the KLX300 carb.
As for the breather mod, it was quite time consuming as the I removed the air box to do this. the restriction is in the air box fitting and no good way to get at it in the frame. Plus I wanted to verify all the left over debris was removed as this is on the clean side of the filter.
03 FJR1300
10 Buell Uly
BigPines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:10 AM   #139
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Street riding impressions

I had an opportunity to take a short (120 mile) street ride this weekend along with a friend on his R12GS and another on his KLR650. We were seeking gravel roads and so spent about 50% of the time on those and the rest on the street.

The stock KLX250S on the street is a blast to ride but you have to keep the reves up. Since the factory breakin calls for keeping the motor under 6K rpm for the first 1000 miles (impossible), some of us were initially very disappointed in the "top end" they were experiencing when trying to ride on the highway.

I chose to break mine in according to more modern thinking and have since allowed the bike to rev freely. Even in stock trim, there's a suprising amount of power above 6K RPM that makes the bike very enjoyable on the street.

The bike is very smooth for a thumper and the seat is actually not too bad for a dirt-bike-turned-dualsport. It's good for 100 miles but not much more between stops. Same for the little fuel tank.

The ergos on the bike are perfect for me, the wind blast is not bad at all (no turbulance), and it eats gravel roads, surface streets, two lane highways, and the twisties for lunch! Roads that had me clinching my behind on my KLR650 were taken with total confidence on this bike.

HOWEVER - having said all the above, you need to understand it's a 250 and likely making all of 14-18 hp. That means a strong headwind and a 210 lb rider is going to be a problem when trying to maintain a true GPS 70 mph on the freeway. I fought 20 mph headwinds on the way home and had to down shift from time to time to maintain speed. I find this unacceptable for the long term and plan to address it with stage 1 and stage 2-type mods in the near future.

Yesterday I installed a 13t counter sprocket (14 is stock). I couldn't find the correct one at my local shop (I'll order one eventually) but found one (for a XR650L of all things) that was damn close and seems to be working fine. That allows the bike to rev higher on the freeway which is actually what it needs. I'm so used to trying to find ways to drop freeway rpm on my street bikes that this was counter intuitive for me. It also will make it even better in the dirt.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:20 AM   #140
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
I was at my local Kawi dealer yesterday and got a good look at our new bikes (KLX 250 S) sitting next to a KLX 300 R. I specifically looked at the exhaust and the header "looks" the same but the mid pipe (actually part of the silencer on the stock exhaust) "looks" like it has an extra little kink in where it connects to the header pipe as compared to the 300. Its not much, maybe 10-15 degrees. I'm still digging trying to find out for sure if the 300 stuff fits the 250 or not before I shell out 3 or 4 hundred bucks or more. I'm about ready to start doing the stock mods that have been done already by some of you to the factory stuff just to get the motor some relief until we find some real aftermarket stuff to bling 'em up with. I do have a sharp 1/2" drill bit, and nice new 19.2 Craftsman drill that I've been wanting to try out. That breather snorkle would be a 30 second job to remove. Hey Big Pines, do these puppies take the big round Mikuni jets or the small round? Looks like its time for another order from Sudco for jets and such.

See ya, Randy.
I'll do that kind of comparison today too. I'm not too worried about making the aftermarket systems fit. Even if the mid pipe mount point is off a bit, a bang with a hammer here, a custom piece of bracket there, and bingo, you're good to go.

I did drill the OEM pipe with the 1/2" drill today. Made only a tiny difference in volume so I'm sure it's only flowing a tiny bit more air too but every little bit helps at this point.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
Old 01-16-2006, 07:52 AM   #141
Mountainear
Out of shape Mtnbiker

Oddometer: 7
Thumb Thanks!

Thanks for the info bmwhd. I'd read a motorcycle.com review of the KLR 650 that said it handled surprisingly/really well on the street and I was wondering if the the klr250 and klx250s inherited similar street handling. Sounds like the klx did!
I'm still wondering about the new klx 250 vs used klr 250, the local Kawi dealer said the klx has a stronger engine and he said the tires on the bike have as much to do with handling on the street as anything. I want do both street (no interstates) and be able to get through some swampy mudholes on the logging roads. Anyway, thanks again!
Old 01-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #142
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,262
a lot of posts asking about the diff of the klr250/klx250
keep in mind I havent ridden either bike, so I cant comment on ride , power etc....
-frame, klx is a preimiter frame, a more modern design, stiffer
-magic button, klx has e start, klr is listed as a kicker, weight is similar though
-forks, klr has 36mm (spindly) only adjustable by air, klx-43mm inverted ( stiff=ggod) cartridge-style front fork comes with a 16-way compression damping adjustment, same with the rear, comp/rebound adjustable on klx, 4 rebound only klr plus 2 more inches of travel
-rear brake, klr has a drum, these need to astay in the 80's, klx disc
-front brake, klx 2 pot caliper, not sure what the klr250 uses, the klr 650 is a single pot, stock its flat dangerous and a joke of a brake.
-klr holds 3 friggin gallons, klx 2
-rear wheel, 17 on klr, 18 on klx, better choice of off road and tires in general
- one inch longer wheelbase on the klx , rake and trail better off road on the klx
i am not sure of engine diff' but just on paper , between these two its huge. all for an extra $400US and if you consider how much the US $ has gone in the crapper, this bike is a deal

The only down side I can see to the klx is that small gas tank, you owners start badgering Clarke mfr, for a tank!
Old 01-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #143
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines
I can get the Jet numbers for you that I picked up at the Kawasaki Shop.
I believe these are the small ones. There the same as the KLX300 carb.
As for the breather mod, it was quite time consuming as the I removed the air box to do this. the restriction is in the air box fitting and no good way to get at it in the frame. Plus I wanted to verify all the left over debris was removed as this is on the clean side of the filter.
Here's what I've ordered from my dealer:

16009-1912 - Needle-Jet, N1TC
92037-1401 - Clamp, Jet Needle
92143-1667 - Collar
92063-1073 - Jet Main #122
92063-1074 - Jet Main #128

I'm going to use the 122 now and the 128 when I get the new exhaust.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 01-16-2006, 01:54 PM   #144
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,262
yeah a DOHC watercooled engine begs to have the piss wrung out of it
Old 01-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #145
happyboyc
just giv'r

Oddometer: 12
Not sure about the IMS tank yet, waiting for one to arrive from IMS so I can see about fitting! As far as a "big bore" kit goes....1997 to 2005 kawi klx300 cylinder, piston, rings, pin, clips, head and base gakets are a direct bolt on... A place in Europe is advertising a 340cc kit for the 300 using wiseco pistons but wiseco doesn't list them!? still workin' on that one, will post if I figure it out...
Also web cams out of California do a hard weld and regrind for the klx300 (the '06 250 uses the same cams) that should give ya a little more!!
happyboyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #146
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

I started the so called "free" mods last night in earnest. Here's what's happening in the ol' garage over the next 72 hours (I have to wait for parts on some of this):

1) Removed the Air Injection System (Air Valve) that directs clean-side air into the exhaust system right at the front of the cylinder head (some call this the smog stuff). This very simple arrangement consists of a vacuum operated valve and a couple of hoses. The air is "injected" into the exhaust via a reed valve. I just removed all the pluming and the valve and then capped the air box hole, carb vacuum port, and the hole at the top of the reed valve chamber. This won't do squat for performance but it will lower exhaust temp significantly which helps keep pipes shiny if nothing else and cleans up the under-tank area.

2) Drilled the crankcase vent hole at the lower front right hand corner of the airbox out to 3/8". Like the KLX300, this system is plugged up and enlarging the hole helps move air out of the crankcase. It also means oil has a clear shot at your airbox if you lay the bike over.

3) Put my 13t counter sprocket on to stay (I'd been going back and forth over the last 3 days as to which I liked better, 13 or 14. No doubt about it - the 13t rocks).

4) Removed the carb to replace the needle (pre-'06 N1TC needle), drill the slide vent with a #32 drill, and replace the main jet with a #122 (for now. Also have a #125 if needed).

5) Removed the air box snorkel pending replacement with the high flow unit (Kaw part 14073-1577).

I should have it all back together by the weekend and will report results then. Pics to follow...

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 01-18-2006, 11:17 AM   #147
biodegraded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
1) Removed the Air Injection System (Air Valve) ....
I didn't know the KLX250 sported this device. Did your bike backfire under deceleration? These things usually cause that to happen. I removed the one off my '83 KZ650.
biodegraded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #148
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Jeeze, I haven't even unzipped the back pouch to see if the tools were in there yet. I only have about 120 miles on it, zero on pavement, about 5 miles FS road and the rest single track and atv type trail. All I want is some front end loft a little lower down on the pipe. The bike is plenty for me in the the tight stuff, it will do all I'm capable of handling, in wide trails with long straights, I will fade from the two strokes and big dirt thumpers, but it keeps me from riding over my head..usually.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #149
EMathy
Cancer Sucks!

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
yeah a DOHC watercooled engine begs to have the piss wrung out of it
Careful! The KLX300 I know is not a motor to wring the crap out of. It's way happier when shortshifted and kept in the upper-mid range. It doesn't like being in the top end for very long.

The KLX forum on Thumpertalk is one of the best resources around for small bore KLX info. Though I think some of ya'all post both here and there.

Speaking of which...anyone want to buy a street titled KLX300? I'm going to be selling mine sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Keep enjoying the KLX250!

- Erik
EMathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:20 PM   #150
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodegraded
I didn't know the KLX250 sported this device. Did your bike backfire under deceleration? These things usually cause that to happen. I removed the one off my '83 KZ650.
No backfire but the pipe blued within 25 miles, a sure sign of too hot exhaust in my experience so I started looking for a cause.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A