Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2006, 02:05 AM   #1501
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38
Thanks. I live in Northern Japan. This bike has a much different feel than my previous 2 machines (CBR-1100XX and YZF-1000R); just pick the best gear and carve away the corners effortlessly with no worries about giving it too much throttle in corners or over bumps. You could really feel the weight of those bigger bikes in the tighter corners.

The D-tracker handles it all with no problem. I haven't found pavement with pegs...yet . Boy this a fun machine. I don't miss the power of the liter bikes as much as I thought I would, although I'd probably miss that type of thing more in the states.
Man if you find pavement with pegs check for road rash
Old 06-22-2006, 02:06 AM   #1502
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstall
It is hard to switch from the KLX to the R1150R. The R is no speed demon but has tons of torque. The KLX lacks any big punch. The bike is a blast around town and off road. It has enough motor, with the simple mods, to be resonable offroad. At 200 lbs mine does not loft the front wheel with ease but you can get it very light. It's just hard to switch between bikes. In the perfect world this thing would come with a 400 in it.
easy to make it a 300
Old 06-22-2006, 02:42 AM   #1503
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiswede81
I don't know why either. It would also be nice if we could order the plastic off that bike. Like that rear fender and light assy. and those wheels too.

So how does that bike ride tremor38?
Very responsive in corners and the suspesion soaks up any bumps with no problem. It's a very different feel (for me) having a street bike with dirt suspension; major thumbs-up! I really want to get her unplugged as soon as possible though.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 AM   #1504
okiswede81
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38
Very responsive in corners and the suspesion soaks up any bumps with no problem. It's a very different feel (for me) having a street bike with dirt suspension; major thumbs-up! I really want to get her unplugged as soon as possible though.
Good to hear, I must say that you have way more options than we do over here when it comes to aftermarket stuff.

Whatever you do to your bike, let us know, I would like to hear what the Japanese aftermarket stuff is like.
okiswede81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #1505
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiswede81
Good to hear, I must say that you have way more options than we do over here when it comes to aftermarket stuff.

Whatever you do to your bike, let us know, I would like to hear what the Japanese aftermarket stuff is like.
One of the items I've been checking-out, and probably will buy is the "comfy seat" made by a company named Daytona here in Japan. It's available in 'low' and 'high' versions. I'll probably opt for the low version because of my 32" inseam. Customer reviews all say that the seat doesn't wear-out your butt in one hour like the stock one does. Apparently the foam is firmer, but distributes the weight more evenly.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:11 AM   #1506
backwoods
Field & Stream

Oddometer: 16
KLX250s opinions

Hi all, I 'm new to this site and I want to first start by saying the information here is incredible. This is the best bike forum I've ever read.
I'm looking to buy a KLX250s or ? this week. I'm 6'3, 215lbs. I have several questions.

Will the bike be big enough for me in the size dept?

I need more dirt bike than road, but is the bike good on the road?
Sometimes I will have travel 60 miles on the highway at 65 mph.(not interstate).

Can I buy a bigger fuel tank?

Will I need a bigger skid plate/engine gaurd?

Any opinions or info is greatly appreciated.

Backwoods.

backwoods screwed with this post 06-25-2006 at 01:31 PM
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #1507
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods
Will the bike be big enough for me in the size dept?
I think you are the only one that can answer that. There are plenty of tall people that like this bike just fine, but it really depends on what you like.

Quote:
I need more dirt bike than road, but is the bike good on the road?
Sometimes I will have travel 60 miles on the highway at 65 mph.(not interstate).
It will get you there, but not the most comfortably. This bike wants to be in the dirt and trails. It will tolerate roads to get you to and from the trails. Once on the trails, you'll have a great time in the dire. I also use mine to commute to work, but that's only 15 miles each way, no interstate. Works fine for that.

Quote:
Can I buy a bigger fuel tank?
Yes.

Quote:
Will I need a bigger skid plate/engine gaurd?
Not mandatory of course, but I'd recommend it. It's a relatively small investment compared with the expensive components it protects.
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:40 PM   #1508
backwoods
Field & Stream

Thanks for the reply nobrakes. I guess what highway distance I'm prepared to ride will be trial & error for me.

Any ideal of top end speed and rpm?

Can someone tell me where to order the skid plate and bigger fuel tank with part #'s.

Will the KLR650 windshield fit the klx or be made to fit for my 60 mile highway journey too and from that I make twice a year ?

backwoods
Old 06-25-2006, 07:43 PM   #1509
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

300cc upgrade installed

This weekend I performed the 300cc upgrade on my KLX250S. It was two evenings total, taking my time. I had one major snafu, totally my fault. During the final stages of reassembly I accidently jabbed my radiator when cutting the zip-tie from my timing chain and cut a small slice for a pretty good leak. So my testing of the 300cc cylinder was delayed another day while I embarked on Radiator Repair 101.

After that little diversion I was back on track. It fired up on the first crank. I broke in the cylinder using 3 heat cycles / cool downs of about 1/2 hour each, doing run-ups and and back down 1st through 3rd gear and 1/2 throttle on the first followed by 1st through 4th gear and 3/4 throttle on the 2nd and 3rd cycles. Then I changed the oil and filter and today took it for a longer test ride hitting some light trails and some road.

If you are wondering what the 300cc feels like, the closest thing I can think of would be the gearing change mod that many have done. It actually feels better than that, but the analogy should give you and idea of what to expect if you've already done a gearing change. I changed my gearing a while back from the stock 14/42 to 14/49. While I loved what it did to the bike, I did not like losing the high gear - basically this change took away sixth gear and was like riding the bike stock but never shifting into sixth gear. Of course, you gained a gear down low which was great, but losing the equivalent of sixth was unacceptable to me so I reverted back to stock gearing.

The 300cc kit feels similar to the way the bike did after that gearing change, except I'm running stock gearing so I don't lose anything on the top gear. There are a few hills around here and I can accelerate up them in sixth gear now where before I'd generally need to gear down to fifth. There is more power across the whole RPM range which is expected. Most noticable is the increase in torque across the range, low RPM as well as high. Definitely it is making more horsepower, how much is anyone's guess. I'd love to dyno it - perhaps I'll see if I can find somewhere to do that.

The front end comes up much more easily now, even with stock gearing. If I sit back a little and pull up a bit on the handlebars and blip the throttle when the bike is around 2500 to 3000 RPM, the front will pop right up with a little tug. I don't have a lot of practice at wheelies, so I'm not brave enough to keep it up and ride it out so I let it drop back down. Those that have gearing mods would most likely find it _very_ easy to lift the front end.

Regarding the torque all around - it did something today that it has never done. Mind you it was raining and the roads were a bit slick, also I have the harder compound Kenda 270's on which don't have the best road traction. However, I was in sixth gear going about 45 MPH up a hill and I figured I'd see how well it accelerated up the incline. I was about halfway up when I laid on the throttle. The rear wheel broke traction with the road! I know the road conditions had a good bit to do with it, but it has still never happened until this upgrade.

So to summarize - more power across the board, from first through sixth. Front end lofts much easier. It feels similar to what you might have felt when moving to higher gearing ratio - somewhere along the lines of 13/45 or 14/49'ish, but with the stock gearing. This is not a perfect analogy because it also feels snappier similar to the jetting / pipe mods. Basically it's sort've like all the mods I've done to date (airbox, jetting, pipe) times 2. So think about how your bike felt the first time after doing all those mods and call that 1 notch. The 300cc kit will notch it up again.

I hope this helps anyone considering this upgrade get a feel for what it does. To me this was definitely worth the money and effort, especially since I didn't care for the higher gearing mod since it tended to reduce the roadability for me by losing sixth gear, which is why I run the stock gearing.

Cheers,
-Brian
Old 06-25-2006, 08:14 PM   #1510
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Nice write up Brian. So no major issue's with installing the 300 parts? They really just simply bolt on?

Thanks, Randy.
'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #1511
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
Nice write up Brian. So no major issue's with installing the 300 parts? They really just simply bolt on?

Thanks, Randy.
They do. Here are the parts:

Here's the new cylinder and piston in place. And the infamous zip tie.

From the outside you can't tell anything was even done - everything's on the inside.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:44 PM   #1512
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Just to add to that a little bit, installation was straight-forward - no surprises. There's a good bit a disassembly though, but you don't have to open the crankcase - just the top end. You need to remove all the plastics, seat, fuel tank, drain the oil, drain the coolant, disconnect the coolant hoses, remove the valve cover, cam bracket, cam tensioner, cam shafts. After all that, there are 4 8mm cylinder head bolts that you'll need to muscle off - they are tight - 46 Nm torque each. Then it's ready to come off - cylinder head first, then cylinder - use a plastic mallot to loosen them up. Once those are off, stuff some rags into the engine opening so you don't drop any parts in there, then remove the piston snap rings, pull the piston pin, then remove the old piston itself. Get some good cleaner and clean off any gasket material. I actually quite a bit of time cleaning the mating surfaces and prepping the new cylinder - cleaning off all the heavy gooey factory oils. Use a _very_ light coat of 10W40 on the inside of the new cylinder. Then reassemble in reverse.

Again, no surprises, a little tedious, but if you've done this stuff before you know what to expect. This was my first time this far into an engine. I'd adjusted my valves before so the farthest I'd been was the valve cover. This was a good bit more, but not harder, just more of it.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:08 PM   #1513
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Sweet, Thanks dude!

Randy.
'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:22 AM   #1514
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Yes ... and in case you missed it he did a 6th gear burnout !!!!!!
albeit on a wet road ... but I'm still impressed ... hmmm where the hell did I put my 300 kit
Old 06-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #1515
backwoods
Field & Stream

baffle

Well I purchased the KLX250s today at my local dealer. All I can tell you is I love it. I think I will need to do some mods though.

A guy who bought the only other one the dealer sold was at the shop when I picked it up. He told me he drilled out the 1st baffle with a 1/2" bit in the muffler when he got his home and noticed a little change in sound and thought it reved out a little more. He said he has ordered a KDX snorkel air box and that's going to be it other than a jet change. Does any of this sound right. I will drill out my 1st baffle but I'm worried about screwing up the back pressure. This guy said there were other baffles still in it and the last one shouldn't change anything. I want to keep it as stock as I can but I don't mind obtaining all the free mods.

Thanks,
backwoods