Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2006, 11:56 PM   #1531
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
The 300 header will not match up with the 250 cannister, pipe flange diameter and pipe lengths are wrong. Here is some info from a member over on the Kawi forums regarding something similar to what you are wanting to do:

Honestly, with the spark-arrestor removed, I don't think there is much of a performance difference between it and an after-market pipe. There is a few things that I do like about the KLX300 pipe. One is that it looks stock. Another is you can make it as quiet as stock if you put the spark-arrestor on. I made a little plate in place of the spark-arrestor so I could tailor the sound to my liking. The 300 pipe does remove some weight, I think it was like 3 pounds. It gets rid of the stupid catalytic converter. If you run it with the spark-arrestor, you won't need to jet for it. But if you remove it, you will need to re-jet. Right now, I have a 125 main jet. My brother is using a 122.5 jet with his.

As far as how does it sound? With the spark-arrestor out, it sounds like a typical single-cylinder does with loud exhaust. I attached a couple sound files. The bike without the spark-arrestor is much louder in person than the one with the plate and 3/4" hole. Hopefully it will give you the gist of what is sounds like. It does not sound like the same bike. An after-market pipe will probably have a nicer tone to it than one of these mufflers, but I am happy for now. I would rather spend $400 on the 300cc kit or a pumper carb, but that's just me.

Also here are some pics of my bike with the 300 full exhaust and a short video. I have not rejetted I just wanted to see how it sounded and then put the stock exhaust back on.

Video: http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=1569vlw
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:32 AM   #1532
backwoods
Field & Stream

Oddometer: 16
I appreciate the info but I'm confused. I thought I read the stock header diameter was smaller than a KLX300 header pipe and some of the others had replaced the stock header pipe with a KLX300 or one from fourstroke.com and then drilled out the stock cannister 1 baffle and connected the two together. I guess with this thread being so long it takes me two nights to read it all and I forget what I read.

I like my bike stock for the most part. I have no concerns about weight or a bigger fuel tank or a big bore kit. I just want to reduce some of the restrictions due to EPA and find some get up and go that we all know is in there but restricted because of emissions. That thread you sent says I don't have to even rejet now. I know your being helpful but I'm confused about it all now.

backwoods

backwoods screwed with this post 06-28-2006 at 02:57 AM
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:24 AM   #1533
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
I think you will find the ones that used a KLX300 header also used a 300 muffler too. The 300 header pipe will not fit the 250 muffler from what I have read, its too long. I believe Staintune make a header for the 250 that fits the muffler, but I would email them first
Cheers
Garry
Old 06-28-2006, 05:50 AM   #1534
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Backwoods, it was suggested to you to try and pick up a stock 300 header from someone who upgraded to an after market system so that you could buy just the slip-on from Muzzy, Staintune or Big Gun in order to save money. I personally dont see how this many changes can be made without re-jetting, buts thats JMO.

Here is the difference between the 300 header pipe diameter and the 250. I was sent the wrong pipe from Muzzy, it was a slip-on for the 300 (top part in pic) which will not fit the 250 header (bottom part) so you need either
the stock 300 header, & the slip-on to match or the full KLX 300 system.
Attached Images

'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #1535
backwoods
Field & Stream

All right, I'm placing the order tomorrow. I have a couple of other questions?

Can I leave the pilot jet stock?

Can I leave the smog crap on, and not do the crank vent mod?

I will be ordering:

125 main jet
2.5 turns out on pilot screw
big gun exhaust system
snorkel (part# 14073-1577)
UNI filter
N1TC(needle,circlip & collar)with clip two down from the top
slide port drilled to 7/64ths

I'm hoping this will bring the bike alive! Once again all replies and opinions appreciated. If something here is wrong please advise. If it works I'm sailing!

Backwoods
Old 06-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #1536
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods
O.K, here's what I want to do.
I want to obtain a KLX300 header pipe and keep the stock cannister with the first baffle drilled out. I'm not concerned with weight.
I want to install a high flow snorkel(92-99 KDX200).
I want to install a #125 main jet.
I want to remove the needle and put it on the 2nd slot.

Do I need to order the dyno jet kit?

Can anyone confirm that this would make a noticable diffrence and will it work. I know I'm missing a few of the mods but this is what I want if it will work. If I had to order the exhaust system I would want the staintune.

Thanks again, all replies welcome.
backwoods
No - you cannot mix and match KLX250S and KLX300 exhaust parts. You need to replace both the head pipe and the silencer, not just one of them. What I said was that once you have a full KLX300 pipe, you can _then_ use an aftermarket silencer on it, since aftermarket silencers don't work with the KLX250S head pipe, but they do with the KLX300 head pipe. Just like you can't use a KLX300 silencer on the KLX250S head pipe, you cannot use the KLX250S silencer on the KLX300 head pipe. While the full exhaust system can be replaced with KLX300 parts, individual pieces cannot.

But if you buy, say, a Muzzy full system which includes the head pipe, mid pipe, and silencer, then you are done - you have everything you need, exhaust-wise.

And regarding the needle - note that I gave a whole new needle part. The stock needle on the KLX250S is not adjustable - it is fixed. You need to _replace_ it with the part number I provided, not just remove it and change the clip position. There is no clip to adjust on the stock needle. Don't forget to also order the collar and the clip which I also gave part numbers for. If you buy all these parts individually, you do not need the dynojet kit - that would be redundent. I got these parts from BikeBandit.com. RonAyers.com is also a good source.
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #1537
backwoods
Field & Stream

That's great news nobrakes, my head is in the game again. I have all the part #'s you provided. I don't know whether to buy the big gun exhaust or muzzy. I spoke to both Muzzy & Big Gun today and muzzy said I could keep the spark arrest and the insert in to reduce noise. Would this reduce performance?. Big Gun is a $100 more for some reason.

What would the muzzy sound like with insert installed & no spark arrest?

Can I leave the stock pilot jet?

Can I get away without the crank vent mod and just do the 7/64th slide drill?

Backwoods

backwoods screwed with this post 06-28-2006 at 03:32 PM
Old 06-28-2006, 04:32 PM   #1538
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Stock pilot will be fine. We noticed little, if any difference in sound with the quiet core and spark arrester installed. May be our ears are not tuned for decibels!

Randy.
'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #1539
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods
That's great news nobrakes, my head is in the game again. I have all the part #'s you provided. I don't know whether to buy the big gun exhaust or muzzy. I spoke to both Muzzy & Big Gun today and muzzy said I could keep the spark arrest and the insert in to reduce noise. Would this reduce performance?. Big Gun is a $100 more for some reason.

What would the muzzy sound like with insert installed & no spark arrest?

Can I leave the stock pilot jet?

Can I get away without the crank vent mod and just do the 7/64th slide drill?

Backwoods
As Nobiman mentioned, stock pilot is fine.

Regarding Big Gun vs Muzzy - you really can't go wrong with either one, IMO. Muzzy owners love theirs and Big Gun owners love theirs. HOWEVER, and this is based purely on rumor, inuendo, and hearsay from other internet reports, the Big Gun may be slightly louder than the Muzzy. But take that for what it is, I have no direct knowledge on that except from what I've read elsewhere. To the best of my knowledge, no one has used a dB meter to measure the outputs side by side and report the results. So if everything else is equal, but quieter is more important to you, then the Muzzy _might_ have a slight advantage. If you want it quickly, you'll probably have better luck with the Big Gun as the Muzzy seems to be back ordered again.

I have the Muzzy with spark arrestor and quiet insert. It sounds good to me. Here's a video clip I made mainly for the audio that compares the stock exhaust with that of the Muzzy w/spark arrestor + quiet insert:

video ...

It was made using the same camera and microphone in the same location on seperate days so it should give a pretty good comparison of the sound levels. Without the quiet insert, the Muzzy cracks pretty good when you lay on the throttle. The quiet insert softens that down quite a bit. I doubt the spark arrestor makes much difference.

Also, you can pass on the crankcase vent mod. I'd recommend doing the 7/64th slide drilling though - that gives you faster throttle response and is one of the upgrades that I personally liked a lot!

EDIT: video link no longer works

nobrakes screwed with this post 08-23-2008 at 06:32 PM
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #1540
KLX X 2
Randy

Oddometer: 17
Big Gun

Here is a photo of the "Big Gun" on my KLX with flush signals. Got a new tail light on order so I can move the licence plate up and remove that chuck of black plastic on the end of my back fender.

Randy
Attached Images

KLX X 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #1541
Greeves TFS
Old Trials Rider

Oddometer: 8
Just got one! Now waiting for the breakin to be done. So much lighter than my old DR-350!
Old 06-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #1542
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeves TFS
Just got one! Now waiting for the breakin to be done. So much lighter than my old DR-350!
I have lots of miles on dr350s. How about a comparison?
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #1543
Greeves TFS
Old Trials Rider

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
I have lots of miles on dr350s. How about a comparison?
One thing that I really like is that I can actually stand up on it. My 94 DR was pretty wide and just didn't feel right standing up. I loved my old DR and not knocking it just it seems like night and day concerning the weight. I hope to get a few miles on it before I head for the woods.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:07 AM   #1544
backwoods
Field & Stream

Mods

Can anyone tell me if someone posted they had done all the mods but kept the stock exhaust and drilled it out with 1/2" bit. I don't care about the Muzzy being louder and lighter, I only want the performance enhancement. Is it a combination of light, louder and performance, or is the performance of the Muzzy the biggest reason. I would save $400 if the stock system is about the same perfromance drilled out.

Backwoods
Old 06-29-2006, 10:51 AM   #1545
tipstall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I have done all the mods except pop for the Muzzy. I need to do it as the bike needs a little more. The mods helped the low end alot. I'm hoping the Muzzy will help the mid/top end.