Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2006, 11:10 AM   #1546
a16tony
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods
Can anyone tell me if someone posted they had done all the mods but kept the stock exhaust and drilled it out with 1/2" bit. I don't care about the Muzzy being louder and lighter, I only want the performance enhancement. Is it a combination of light, louder and performance, or is the performance of the Muzzy the biggest reason. I would save $400 if the stock system is about the same perfromance drilled out.

Backwoods
128 jet
high flow snorkle
stock needle, lifted with two washers, and drilled slide
drilled stock pipe
stock crankcase vent
stock emission crap
14/48 gear set
Acerbis 300 tank.

My bike runs fantastic. It will sustain 85mph(indicated)@ 9500rpm in most cases, and still gets 50-60mpg hiway and 46mpg single tracking.
When I drilled my exhaust I had to change the 125 to 128 jet, FYI. Does this help?
a16tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #1547
backwoods
Field & Stream

Oddometer: 16
That's great news a16tony. Did you try the #125 jet?
I will be doing the exact same mods and hopefully will see a noticable diffrence. It looks like I'll have to order the #128 jet now.

I need to thank a pile of people on this forum for all their info & pics. The pics are priceless for someone like me who isn't a mechanic type. A couple of people I talked to have been qouted as saying the KLX250s is almost undriveable as stock.

backwoods

backwoods screwed with this post 06-29-2006 at 01:13 PM
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #1548
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
I need to thank a pile of people on this forum for all their info & pics. The pics are priceless for someone like me who isn't a mechanic type.
Folks here were quite helpful to me when I was stumbling around in the dark on this also.

Quote:
A couple of people I talked to have been qouted as saying the KLX250s is almost undriveable as stock.
I didn't really find that to be the case. I guess it comes down to what you were used to before. This is my first bike in about 15 or 20 years and before that I rode < 100cc trail bikes of various types. Even stock, this bike was quite a huge step up from those days. So you can see where I was quite pleased at first. I guess since maybe it looks so much like a hopped up dirt bike folks are expecting KX250F performance. It's surely not that! But it is not unrideable either - at least I didn't think so. I had a blast on my KLX even before making a single mod.

But soon you get used to the way things feel and start looking to improve - it's only natural. I was hearing about what a difference a few simple mods made, so I thought, what the heck, I can afford the $40 of parts required to rejet, snorkel, and the free drilling stuff. But I'll admit that I was quite happy before doing any of that. But once you start, beware - it is addictive. After those first mods worked out so well and the novelty began to wear off a bit, the Muzzy starting looking pretty darn nice. And then that was even better, and life was good. But then the 300cc upgrade started whispering to me from the silvery mist of my dreams. Who could refuse whispers from dreamy mist? I succombed. So what's next? Pumper carb? Maybe. Overbore the 300cc to even larger displacement? Perhaps. Perhaps. I've decided I'm going to try not to think about it too much, because once I start thinking about it, it starts calling me and before long I _must_ have it and my every waking thought centers around that next upgrade until I am fully consumed and immersed and the only way out is to upgrade!

That's the great thing about bike ownership - you get to make it uniquely suit your style and needs and on your own terms and time frame. Do as much or as little as you want, when you want to do it. Even if it does become an all consuming obsession
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #1549
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
I found the addition of the Muzzy on top of the other mods is what put the bike over the top for me in terms of enjoyment. It just looks, sounds, and performs so fine now I'm not even tempted by the 300cc kit at present.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:37 AM   #1550
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
That's great news a16tony. Did you try the #125 jet?
I will be doing the exact same mods and hopefully will see a noticable diffrence. It looks like I'll have to order the #128 jet now.

I need to thank a pile of people on this forum for all their info & pics. The pics are priceless for someone like me who isn't a mechanic type. A couple of people I talked to have been qouted as saying the KLX250s is almost undriveable as stock.

backwoods
that statement about the KLX being almost undrivable stock is the biggest load of I have ever heard and I'm getting sick of it. The bloody bike is fine for WHAT IT IS DESIGNED FOR !!!!!!
Fine if you wanna make it go better etc etc thats great go ahead, but as it is the KLX is fine by me.

Rant off

P.S. backwoods I'm not having a go at you just those who tell people this pile of
2006 CT110X
2012 Versys
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:57 AM   #1551
backwoods
Field & Stream

Oddometer: 16
Appreciate the replies. I owned 3 new HD's in the last 5 years with all the mods and I need an adjustment period. I bought the KLX250s because l like the look and it meets my purpose, to ride with my son on his 90cc. I need a little more power and know the mods will fill my need. I'll let everyone know how I make out when all the parts arrive. I won't be installing them myself.

backwoods
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #1552
KLX X 2
Randy

Oddometer: 17
Cleaned up

Here is a shot of my KLX with the new signels and tail light. I now have removed the " fender extender ". I think the bike now have more of a MX look.

Randy
Attached Images

KLX X 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #1553
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Hey Randy, Randy here. I gotta say that is one slick little mod you've done there, me likey . How 'bout posting the brand, part # and the place of purchase of the above mentioned tail light just in case someone might want to copy you (not me of course ).

Nice work dude!

Randy
'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #1554
KLX X 2
Randy

Oddometer: 17
No Problem !

Thanks Randy .

Here is the link to where I got the tail light. I had to cut a piece of black plexy to fill the hole from the old tail light. This new Light even has a clear spot on the bottom of the lens to light up the licence plate.

Randy
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...661&Division=6
KLX X 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #1555
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Question for anyone who has installed the KDX200 high flow snorkle: Does the induction noise increase appreciably?

Thanks.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:52 PM   #1556
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Nice work Randy that looks good
2006 CT110X
2012 Versys
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #1557
Crusher
n00b

Oddometer: 1
RE: Rad fan on KLX250S

Question;

I just recently sold my BMW F650GS (first bike, had it for 4 years) and purchased a new KLX250S. Found out I was pregnant at about the same time. Hence: I've only been out on my shiny green beast a few times. But I've noticed that even after about an hour ride in the summer heat the rad fan has never once come on. On my BMW the fan was always quick to come on in this kind of heat. I don't pretend to be the least bit mechanically inclined, but have any of you noticed this? And would you consider it normal or odd?

Would appreciate some feedback, thanks.
Crusher
Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #1558
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher
Question;

I just recently sold my BMW F650GS (first bike, had it for 4 years) and purchased a new KLX250S. Found out I was pregnant at about the same time. Hence: I've only been out on my shiny green beast a few times. But I've noticed that even after about an hour ride in the summer heat the rad fan has never once come on. On my BMW the fan was always quick to come on in this kind of heat. I don't pretend to be the least bit mechanically inclined, but have any of you noticed this? And would you consider it normal or odd?

Would appreciate some feedback, thanks.
Crusher
Mine doesn't come on very often at all compared to other bikes I have owned. I don't know what you meant by "this kind of heat," but I ran my bike for a couple of hours in 28C temp the other day and the fan very rarely came on but turned off within about 30 seconds. It never seems to stay on any longer than that, so maybe this bike just has a very efficient cooling system. If you think about it, there's not much to cool off.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #1559
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
The only time mine generally comes on is when I'm going slow and working the engine pretty hard, like bushwhacking where there's no trail, and the going is slow and arduous. As long as there's air flow over the radiators, my fan never runs.
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:38 PM   #1560
dirt king
Luke AFB Arizona

Oddometer: 21
gears

Hey has any one mest around with putting a bigger gear on the front or a smaller gear on the rear. 16 in the front or a 38 in the rear for low rpm's haven't heard of anywhere to by gears for the rear only the front. I bought a 13 tooth for the front and went from 60mph at 6000rpms to 6800rpms at 60. has anyone noticed that when the spedo is at 65 you are only going 60. These rpms seem too high 6800 at 60mph for long riding trips (200 miles or more) seems that if one could gear it right around 4000rpms at 65mph that would be ideal for crusing on flat ground on the hwy/freeway. tho this will be very gutless on the trail and would not work at all you would have to switch out the gear but that is very simple. Do I need to change my gears or are these rpms ok for that kind of long trip journeys

THANKS any help would be great