Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #1576
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,860
Whew, I finally made it to the end. Great thread, I found it right after reading a review of the bike.
I'm intent on getting one (it'll be my first motorcycle) soon. I'm turning 40 next month and there's just some things ya gotta do!
Thanks everyone for the all the info, research, advice, photos, etc...

I'll be back with pics when I pick one up.
I did talk to two dealers today, I just need to check prices and arrange shipping.
AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #1577
teflon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
boring break in update

hey all, just wanna say even though i don't post a lot, i read this thread a lot and it's great that there are so many knowledgeable people out there. very cool.

now for my boring update. i got mine about 6 weeks ago and only have about 150 miles on it. i take it to work through a city each day, about 5 miles each way. i haven't pushed the rpm's past the low 6000's. as for top speed, i think about 45. i haven't even had a chance to get into 6th gear.

i know i may be way too cautious, but cautious can't hurt.

so my 150 mile report is highlighted by these points:

1. i am gaining a little more confidence with the tires (around corners) and i DO suggest taking it easy on them for the first 100 miles or so.
2. the seat is very comfortable. 5'6" 140lbs 32 inseam.
3. the bike seems to wants to go, but i am going to continue to take it easy.

that being said, after a generous break in and keeping it 100% stock i really believe this bike is gonna be real quick. this bike shows a lot of promise. it just feels narrow and lean and once i put either the muzzy or big gun pipe on i expect it to get even better.

my one serious question is though, does it make sense to get the pipe put on at the time of my first 600 mile service? i am also unclear what other mods/work/parts the dealer will need to do in order to make the exhaust install work properly. lastly, i need to mention i am going to go for the whole exhaust system, not just a pipe.

well that's it...not terribly exciting but fact nonetheless.

out

teflon
Old 07-06-2006, 04:16 AM   #1578
jeepphamilee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon
my one serious question is though, does it make sense to get the pipe put on at the time of my first 600 mile service? i am also unclear what other mods/work/parts the dealer will need to do in order to make the exhaust install work properly. lastly, i need to mention i am going to go for the whole exhaust system, not just a pipe.

out

teflon
Hey Teflon, It won't make much difference to upgrade now or later or a little at a time. I put my Muzzy on before I rejetted and felt next to no difference, but once I coupled that with rejetting and free mods . I am not sure but I think that some of the mods might be ... not legal. This bike has a lot of resrictive parts on that a dealership might not be able to tamper with legally, especially the smog stuff that most of us have chucked. You might want to check into it a bit first to see if you dealer will do it. On the other hand all of the mods purchased and free have been a piece of cake. The hardest part was getting the carb out of the tiny area it is shoved into.

on your other question and in simple terms.... more air in - more air out. You can't open just one end up (intake or exhaust) and expect any real big difference. You have to open the top end and the bottom to really feel it. This includes your choice of no top on the airbox or a high flow snorkle, drilling our the crankcase breather on the airbox end of the tube, rejet and larger exhaust from the head tube back. You won't believe the difference! The only expensive part is the full exhuast, but it is worth every penny!
jeepphamilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:09 AM   #1579
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepphamilee
Hey Tremor, you a local National or at Misawa? Just left that area about a year and a half ago. Here is some pics of the gorge I took a few yours ago: http://www.hughesphotography.biz/gallery2.htm

Bet you had a blast rolling up the twisty roads! We used to go camping up there quite a bit. Good times!
I'm working for a defense contractor and have recently retired from The U.S. Navy.

Those pics are awesome! Your are much better than I with a lense.

The twisties are great. I've logged many hours in that area with liter bikes and you can really tell the difference in the tighter stuff with this little 250. Weight became a factor on my YZF1000 and CBR1100xx, but this little bike is an absolute blast. Decreasing radius, double apex, no problem..it eats them all for lunch. It seems to come into its own in the really tight stuff.

tremor38 screwed with this post 07-06-2006 at 06:11 AM Reason: Typo
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:32 AM   #1580
okiswede81
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Hey Tremor, you a local National or at Misawa? Just left that area about a year and a half ago. Here is some pics of the gorge I took a few yours ago: http://www.hughesphotography.biz/gallery2.htm

Bet you had a blast rolling up the twisty roads! We used to go camping up there quite a bit. Good times!

Very nice pics, all of them.
okiswede81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #1581
Echo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:

out

teflon
I'd be surprised if you get a dealer to modify your bike. Any modification to emission equipment including pipes, muffler, and carb is considered to be tampering by the EPA. The fine for tampering is $10k per occurance. An occurance is any day you ride your modified bike on the street (in the USA). So if you ride your modified bike on the street on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, the fine could be $30k.

Starting in 2006, the EPA mandated motorcycle emissions be reduced about 75%. Prior to 2006, the EPA left motorcycle emissions requirements unchanged since about 1980.

The big question is will the EPA enforce the tampering law now that emission regs have gotten much stricter. If I was a dealer I wouldn't take a chance. In fact I probably wouldn't even work on your modified bike and/or honor the warranty.

I don't mean to rain on your parade - just thought I'd give you something to think about.
Echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #1582
KLX X 2
Randy

Oddometer: 17
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeehan
Whew, I finally made it to the end. Great thread, I found it right after reading a review of the bike.
I'm intent on getting one (it'll be my first motorcycle) soon. I'm turning 40 next month and there's just some things ya gotta do!
Thanks everyone for the all the info, research, advice, photos, etc...

I'll be back with pics when I pick one up.
I did talk to two dealers today, I just need to check prices and arrange shipping.
Good Luck with your search for a new KLX. Here in Ontario Dealers were sold out of these Sweet bikes by half way through May. I had one dealer try to talk me out of the KLX only to find out he could not get any. I was lucky to find a Bike shop with two for my wife and I.

Randy
KLX X 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #1583
teflon
Adventurer

thanks for the info::

hey everyone,

thanks for the info and the replies. i remember when i picked up the bike at the dealership, i mentioned how quiet it is. the owner told me "oh we can fix that for you with a pipe".

where i live in CT there are SO VERY MANY 2 strokes, quads, pocket bikes, mini bikes and other ILLEGAL 2 wheels vehicles going everywhere - that no one is going to notice/check/care about my bike and how loud it is or environmentally friendly it is or isn't.

not to mention that i believe in there is a decibel law - but factor in HD bikes virtually NEVER being within that limit and my assumption is that if the cops want to pinch me then they have to pinch every HD and streek bike around.

that being said, if i ask the dealer to put on an exhaust system without doing anything else - what results, if any can i expect?

what smog stuff can i get rid of? i know there are a lot of restrictions and i would like to get rid of them. any advice/how to's?

and guys, thanks again - this formum rocks!

and so do klx250s's!

teflon
Old 07-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #1584
jeepphamilee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
hey everyone,

thanks for the info and the replies. i remember when i picked up the bike at the dealership, i mentioned how quiet it is. the owner told me "oh we can fix that for you with a pipe".

where i live in CT there are SO VERY MANY 2 strokes, quads, pocket bikes, mini bikes and other ILLEGAL 2 wheels vehicles going everywhere - that no one is going to notice/check/care about my bike and how loud it is or environmentally friendly it is or isn't.

not to mention that i believe in there is a decibel law - but factor in HD bikes virtually NEVER being within that limit and my assumption is that if the cops want to pinch me then they have to pinch every HD and streek bike around.

that being said, if i ask the dealer to put on an exhaust system without doing anything else - what results, if any can i expect?

what smog stuff can i get rid of? i know there are a lot of restrictions and i would like to get rid of them. any advice/how to's?

and guys, thanks again - this formum rocks!

and so do klx250s's!

teflon
Most pipe manufactures have to stay with-in a certain Db level for on and off road applications. I have a Muzzy full exhuast with out the quite core insert... it isn't "legal" for street use but no one cares, I was sitting at a light and talking to one of the two motorcycle cops in Abilene and he made no mention of the note of my loud ass pipe. I am guessing it is a little over 100Db @ 3K RPMs, I think with the QC insert it is in the low 90's. I like the loudness and will deal with the consiquenses as the come. As for preformance with just the pipe, you won't notice much... a little increase but hardly noticeable. There a is a couple posts on here about the smog removal, it takes all of three minutes to do, I hestitate to give you instruction on it because I don't know the names of all the parts and would probably confuse you with my lack of knowlege. Do a search on this thread for smog removal or free mods and I am sure you will have no problem finding the "correct" info. This thread is getting HUGE, maybe we should start another mods thread or something for easier access of info?

I know that Nobiman has posted about the smog removal with pictures:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...og#post2439359
jeepphamilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:10 AM   #1585
Quasi-Moto
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quasi-Motarded?

Hi folks
New member here. I've read the whole thread ::whew!:: over the past few days and I really like the idea of this bike. I really wish the D-Tracker moto version of it were available in the USA. Since it isn't, I just wonder what the difference is. Stiffer suspension? Different gearing? etc. What would it take to convert one? Why do they run a smaller wheel? Do they use a longer fork to make up the loss in height? I have a 29" inseam so a smaller front wheel might be good for lowering the bike anyway. I guess I really don't want a straight up super motard race bike, maybe just want to get Quasi-Motarded up.

-Roo
Quasi-Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #1586
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi-Moto
Hi folks
New member here. I've read the whole thread ::whew!:: over the past few days and I really like the idea of this bike. I really wish the D-Tracker moto version of it were available in the USA. Since it isn't, I just wonder what the difference is. Stiffer suspension? Different gearing? etc. What would it take to convert one? Why do they run a smaller wheel? Do they use a longer fork to make up the loss in height? I have a 29" inseam so a smaller front wheel might be good for lowering the bike anyway. I guess I really don't want a straight up super motard race bike, maybe just want to get Quasi-Motarded up.

-Roo
I live in Japan and have the 'motard version' (D-Tracker).
I far as coverting goes, it should be a snap. Front and rear calipers and rotors are the exact same on both bikes. The only extra thing you would have to buy (other than tires and wheels) is the rear sprocket which has less teeth. If you would like to find out more info on the wheels and sprocket, my dealer here in Japan treats me like a king. If I ask him he'll get me the answer. There should be another Kawi model that uses the same wheels.

The suspension is exactly the same. In fact, people that seriously race these in Supermoto actually stiffen it up and decrease the travel somewhat. Seat height is almost an inch lower on the D-tracker (stock), so I don't think they've messed with the fork clamps or dog bones. They simply bolted on the wheels and left the suspension as is which would account for the .8 inch(20mm) drop in seat height.

In answer to the "smaller wheel" question, have you looked at many street bikes? They're almost all 17 inch. Even the ZRX1200 has 17 inch wheels on front and rear. Most dirt bikes have a 21" front and 18 or 19 inch rear.

Peace!

tremor38 screwed with this post 07-07-2006 at 09:34 AM Reason: spelling
Old 07-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #1587
teflon
Adventurer

thanks jeepphamilee

Thanks for the reliable info.

I feel as you do, no one is going to care about the volume. for me, it's perfect because i want sound over performance increase. plus if it becomes a hassle you could put the quite core in.

Now for a dumb question, does "rejetting" come into play?

In city riding, those mods don't really come into play because it is obviously a totally different kind of ride compared to how you'd make your new klx rip offroad.

but for me i am screwed - there's do damn dirt or woods to ride in in southern connecticut.

but when i find some off road locations to ride, then i can start my mod quest then and most definitely enjoy every minute of it.

out!
teflon

Quote:
Most pipe manufactures have to stay with-in a certain Db level for on and off road applications. I have a Muzzy full exhuast with out the quite core insert... it isn't "legal" for street use but no one cares, I was sitting at a light and talking to one of the two motorcycle cops in Abilene and he made no mention of the note of my loud ass pipe. I am guessing it is a little over 100Db @ 3K RPMs, I think with the QC insert it is in the low 90's. I like the loudness and will deal with the consiquenses as the come. As for preformance with just the pipe, you won't notice much... a little increase but hardly noticeable. There a is a couple posts on here about the smog removal, it takes all of three minutes to do, I hestitate to give you instruction on it because I don't know the names of all the parts and would probably confuse you with my lack of knowlege. Do a search on this thread for smog removal or free mods and I am sure you will have no problem finding the "correct" info. This thread is getting HUGE, maybe we should start another mods thread or something for easier access of info?

I know that Nobiman has posted about the smog removal with pictures:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...og#post2439359
Old 07-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #1588
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Hi folks

-Roo
Hi Quasi I took these pix of a KX250F supermoto, thought you might like to see them as the KX and KLX are brothers

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...t=727e5389.jpg
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...t=652751a1.jpg
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...t=8ec0c610.jpg
both rins are 17"
2006 CT110X
2012 Versys
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #1589
Quasi-Moto
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey thanks for the info and pictures folks. Now I see that it is relativley easy to convert to a nimble little road bike. If I had two sets of wheels and tires, I wonder how quickly it could be converted between the two types e.g., 17" F/R to stock and back. The reason I ask is I have friends that go 4-wheeling once or twice a month and I'd want to follow along on this bike too but I know the street tires wont do. I'm starting to get excited about this bike even if I never convert it to super-moto.

-Roo

--
Up a coal dust covered hog path.
WV, USA
Quasi-Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #1590
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey thanks for the info and pictures folks. Now I see that it is relativley easy to convert to a nimble little road bike. If I had two sets of wheels and tires, I wonder how quickly it could be converted between the two types e.g., 17" F/R to stock and back. The reason I ask is I have friends that go 4-wheeling once or twice a month and I'd want to follow along on this bike too but I know the street tires wont do. I'm starting to get excited about this bike even if I never convert it to super-moto.

-Roo

--
Up a coal dust covered hog path.
WV, USA
As long as you had the street rims put on stock KLX250 hubs it should be a snap (bolt-on). The only question mark would be chain length because the sprocket is smaller on the street version. I don't know if the adjuster has enough range to cover both. HOWEVER, if you used the dirt sprocket (or something close to it) on both that wouldn't be an issue.