User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2006, 01:25 AM   #301
work750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Staintune noisy? eh eh eh what

Did someone say something? Noisy. I found that with a stock engine they were good. But if you put cams in or raise the compression...It's only loud till you go deaf. But that would be the same with all mufflers I guess.

However the quality is fantastic and I think that if you fell off the bike and wrecked it, the staintune would probaly still be ok. Easy to clean and keep looking real nice and they give the KLX250 a real deep throaty sound more like a 400cc bike.
work750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:44 AM   #302
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Question for the lads from Down Under;
When the 'Austrlian Dealer' big bore kit is installed, does this in essence make the 250 into a KLX 300, or are there still other variables such as cams etc that differ?
As some aftermarket exhaust manufacturers(Muzzy for one) tune their systems to particular setups, would it be safe assume one could pick off the rack full exhausts designed for KLX 300's when the big bore mod is given to the 250?
Also Staintune seems to make both a system for the KLX 250 (called big bore) and another for the 300?, so many choices

Alright , I vote we make this thread a STICKY!!!

GuinnesS screwed with this post 01-31-2006 at 02:55 AM
GuinnesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:11 AM   #303
work750
Adventurer

klx250 and 300 share parts

Hi All,

the KLX250 shares the same head/cams/valves, springs etc. The part numbers altered slightly recently, but that was to do with the shift of the auto decompressor location I think on the KLX250. But up untill 05 models the were exactly the same part numbers. The KLX300 obviousely has a different crank as it doesn't have the drive or the electric start. They share the heaps of other parts as well, so esentially they are the same beast, minus a few bits and pieces.

In Australia people have been putting 300 barrels onto the 250 for ages and everyone has their own thoughts.

I would say that putting a 300 barrel onto a klx250 bottom end, would effectively give you something very similar to a KLX300, but with electric start. My only quarm would be the different carby on the 250cc. Is it different enought to impact on exhaust systems? I doubt it. In fact I would think that changes in elevation would have a far greater impact on overall exhaust system performance than the slight internal difference in the 250 versus 300 carby. Would this impact on the dynojet klx300 kit into a klx250 carby, not to sure, maybe it will. If someone does it, post your results for us all to know.

From our testing. The KLX250 didn't gain or lose power with the big bore header. The 300cc engine definitely did. It was a few Hp and torque as well down low especially. If you have the bucks future proof yourself with a big bore header. If you've not got the bucks or arn't going the 300cc way, you don't need to spend the money.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:54 AM   #304
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnesS
Also Staintune seems to make both a system for the KLX 250 (called big bore) and another for the 300?, so many choices
No KLX300 pipe on Staintune website, theres the 250 and the 400
http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts/kawasaki/index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnesS
Alright , I vote we make this thread a STICKY!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:57 AM   #305
work750
Adventurer

staintune site

go to the price list and download the PDF from the staintune site. It still list the KLX300 one.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:03 AM   #306
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Jo Ann Blue
Picked up our new KLX a week ago Friday (1/20), rode it home that afternoon, now have 118 miles on it. During the first week, my husband machined a lowering link and installed it, which dropped the bike 2" in the rear (pre-load was increased) and also built bar risers which raised the bars 1". Also slid the fork tubes up 1". These mods made the bike a better fit for me (5' 8 1/2" with a 32" inseam) and more comfortable. No mods to the seat, but the side stand definitely needs to be shortened, which will be done soon.

Removed stock rearview mirrors and installed a left side Acerbis mirror. Changed out stock bark busters with white Acerbis guards, better appearance and more practical (use them on our other dirt bikes, too). Removed rear reflector from fender, turned license plate bracket upside down, re-installed directly under license plate light, resulted in much neater look. Will be installing a W.E.R. steering stabilizer in the future, as well as removing turn signals and using a UFO Oregon Enduro headlight assembly with the turn signals built in.

Rode 92 miles Sunday in Flint Hills northeast of Cassoday, Kansas. By the end of the day, the engine was beginning to loosen up and was running much better. Plan on changing out stock exhaust and doing carb mods as indicated earlier in this thread. Very pleased with the bike and no regrets. My previous ride was a TT-R 225, had started riding my husband's TT-R 250, and he has a DRZ 400 which is very likely going to be for sale.

(We ride Chadwick, Missouri, Clarksville, Arkansas, Taylor Park, Colorado, as well as areas in Kansas & Oklahoma. In street bikes, we have an ST1100, an 1100 Gold Wing, & an XB9R Buell Firebolt. By the way, I'm 60 & Bill's 62--no fools like old fools!!) Plan on riding many more years!
Welcome Bill and Jo Ann! You guys are doing what we hope to be doing for a long time..........riding together! Sandy, my wife will be glad to see another woman on a KLX 250 also. We ride some of the same areas that you guys do. The Pitkin, Colorado area is one of our top three favorite places to ride with Lake city, Colo.(Alpine loop) and South Fork coming in as #2 and #3. Maybe we'll see ya'll out this season.

Randy.
'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:29 AM   #307
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I just got on the Staintune site to buy an exhaust system for our KLX 250 and guess what? They dont have a price or a buy option on thier site, They show pics of the KLX 250 system but when you click on it, nothing happens. Then when you go up to the catalog and click on Kawasaki, you are informed that there are "no products available" Go figure, and I really liked the quality look of this brand. Oh well, trash that idea and on to the next brand,

FMF wont answer my E-mails or phone calls, so on to the next brand.

Muzzy, here I come!!! Wish me luck guys and gals. It should'nt be this hard to spend a little money!

Randy.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:08 AM   #308
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
Well I just got on the Staintune site to buy an exhaust system for our KLX 250 and guess what? They dont have a price or a buy option on thier site, They show pics of the KLX 250 system but when you click on it, nothing happens. Then when you go up to the catalog and click on Kawasaki, you are informed that there are "no products available" Go figure, and I really liked the quality look of this brand. Oh well, trash that idea and on to the next brand,

Muzzy, here I come!!! Wish me luck guys and gals. It should'nt be this hard to spend a little money!

Randy.
This is the one that interests me. Let us know what it ends up costing with the spark arrester and baffle (if those are not stock).

FWIW, there are a couple of Staintune importers here in the States that might be able to get you one for the KLX. Try:

http://piratesk12site.net/Staintuneall.htm

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:00 PM   #309
biodegraded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Sport Tour also carries the Stayintune line. I've not ordered from them before.

http://www.sporttour.com/motorcycle_...ry/exhaust.htm
biodegraded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:06 PM   #310
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok guys, Thanks. I'll try these sites too.

Randy.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:04 PM   #311
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I've been on this computer for many hours now and made several phone calls trying to get an exhaust system bought for this bike, but I have failed to do so yet. As far as I can find out, there are only 2 companies that specifically list an exhaust system for our bikes. They are Big Gun and Staintune, and I have heard to many negative things about Big Gun build quality (or lack thereof) in my KTM circles to take a chance on them. So......... I have E-mailed the 2 Staintune distributors that were listed above for me by my new found Net surf'in buds (you guys) and will wait some more now.

FWIW, I pulled up the exhaust parts diagrams on the 300 and the 250 head pipes and they look quite different to me, which is what keeps me from ordering the KLX300 system for my bike. Maybe they'll bolt on anyways but I'm not willing to take that chance, especially since I have not heard/seen of anyone actually doing this. Just discussing in theory that it "should" fit.

Ah, the adventures of Bling-dom!

Randy.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:19 PM   #312
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:

Randy.
Randy, may I suggest you email Paul Schmalz at Staintune and ask him, he has been really helpfull to me. I have sent 3 emails so far and all have been replied to quickly and answered everything I have asked. Foe instance I asked if Staintune ever need repacking like the majority of others do and this was the answer.

Hi Garry,
No it is not a dumb question, in fact I am asked this question quite a few times over emails etc. Our muffler is sealed so you cannot take it apart or rebuild it. Our centre core of the muffler is wrapped with a substance like stainless steel wool only much thicker, so it should never need repacking and really should last the duration of the bike.
Paul Schmalz
Sales Manager
Staintune Australia
51 Cavendish Street
Mittagong NSW 2575
Ph: 02 4871 3188
Fax: 02 4871 3581

Dont give up mate as from what I can see this is a quality product

Garry
Old 01-31-2006, 10:11 PM   #313
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Well, I've been on this computer for many hours now and made several phone calls trying to get an exhaust system bought for this bike, but I have failed to do so yet. As far as I can find out, there are only 2 companies that specifically list an exhaust system for our bikes. They are Big Gun and Staintune, and I have heard to many negative things about Big Gun build quality (or lack thereof) in my KTM circles to take a chance on them. So......... I have E-mailed the 2 Staintune distributors that were listed above for me by my new found Net surf'in buds (you guys) and will wait some more now.

FWIW, I pulled up the exhaust parts diagrams on the 300 and the 250 head pipes and they look quite different to me, which is what keeps me from ordering the KLX300 system for my bike. Maybe they'll bolt on anyways but I'm not willing to take that chance, especially since I have not heard/seen of anyone actually doing this. Just discussing in theory that it "should" fit.

Ah, the adventures of Bling-dom!

Randy.
FWIW, I think the differences in the parts drawings are just poor tech writing rather than actual differences but I understand your hesitation.

I happen to live close to the headquarters of D&D exhaust. I sent them a note today offering my bike as a model for their design team. They've been very quick to adopt new models in the past so maybe they'll bite.

BTW, aren't the BG and Staintune part numbers the same for both bikes?

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:42 PM   #314
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

I might have managed to post a side by side of a 2005 KLX 300 exhaust & 1996 250 KLX, 1996 is only one listed from the fiche database but looks very similar to what is on my 06 KLX250 S. So here goes;

The
Old 01-31-2006, 10:47 PM   #315
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

The top image is actually a 1996 KLX 250 R, but as I mentioned earlier the exhaust looks identical to my 06 250S, If you engineering type can spot any fitment discrepencies, please chime in. the lower image is of the 05 KLX 300 A10?.
Good luck and keep your fingers crossed