Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #346
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by gybeman
Don't be too surprised, most companies do it. With my gps, my volvo's is 9% optimistic, my KTM was about the same, my Suzuki XL7 is surprisingly right on. Too bad you don't have the KTM speedo that can accomodate different wheel sizes. You switch it to 19" and its bang on.
My KTM LC4 is only 2 mph off at 60. My VTX 1800 speedo has read 143 when the GPS says 131 mph! Have'nt tested the KLX yet but I will soon.
GPS's are sooooo cool, huh? Mines kept my from getting lost in the Rockies more than a few times.

Randy.

VTX reading;
Attached Images

'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #347
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Got an E-mail from Big Gun and guees what? Yup, you guessed it.

BACKORDERED

E-mail said:
.................................................. ..............................................
The comments for your order are

item currently on back order.
it will fit your system

Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Pending

Please reply to this email if you have any questions.
.................................................. ...........................

So we wait some more.

Randy.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:06 PM   #348
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Question

Ok here is a question for you guys;
I have been reading up about the crank case vent mod and got hold of an air filter but running any kind of tubing that accomodates 1/2 -5/8 ID, I run into fitment problems. On the petcock side there simple is currently no space to run up and over to airbox opening and on the other side the hose comes too close to the throttle lever on the carb. These were all routes explored staying 'inside' the bike frame. The stock grey hose has no restriction at all in it, rather the orifice in the lower front of the airbox is where the restriction is.
My question is this; Why not drill out the restrictive opening that receives the vent tube on the airbox? and would this not also negate the need for any additional filter as the opening is already located behind the main air filter?
Now perhaps this approach would be detrimental if the airbox ever got flooded with silty/muddy water and the drain got plugged but are there other concerns choosing this route?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #349
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

NOBIMAN;
I might reconsider the MUZZY, I do now see a difference between the 06 300 header and that of the 06 250H6F but on examining the route that the stock header follows on our 250, there does seem to be clearance to spare between it and the head. I wonder if the absence of the kickstarter is the only reason for the different header routing on our bikes. A fellow over on TT did install a stock 300 header on his 250 which required a little ballpeening to clear an oil line behint the head. He also needed to bend the head shield in order to fit the new header but why not use a stock 300 heat shield?
I am also wondering just how 'tuned' a Muzzy can be and would that concern not be moot if one went with a 300 kit anyway. Dunno..
Old 02-04-2006, 04:31 AM   #350
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Considering what Todd said about his conversation with Muzzy and thier pipes not being tuned for the 250, I shyed away from them. If you look in the E-mail reply that Big Gun sent me, they do say thier system will fit our application. (I asked them that question specifically). Also if you look up the part # for the KLX 300 Big Gun and our bikes, they are the same, so are thier any tuning differences? Lots of questions unanswered for me too.

Randy.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:38 AM   #351
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnesS
I was wondering if anyone is getting the occasional false neutral between 4th and 5th. I have 250 miles now and I have had about 4-5 false neutrals.
This bike is going to take for ever to break in, at 4000rpm were doing 40-45mph, anybody taking a more progressive angle to break-in? and what, if any is a better type of oil to do so?

BMWHD;
So did you have a word with Kurt at Muzzy?
If you've been babying that bike for 250 miles, you should (right away!) do several full-throttle accelleration/decelleration runs, varying them between first second and third gears, to properly seat your rings, and hopefully remove the cyclinder glaze you've probably already built up. By now, you should be able to ride it like you always intend to ride it -- break-in period is actually in the past at 250 miles.
2006 KLX250
compman21234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #352
jeepphamilee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
break in

Quote:
Originally Posted by compman21234
If you've been babying that bike for 250 miles, you should (right away!) do several full-throttle accelleration/decelleration runs, varying them between first second and third gears, to properly seat your rings, and hopefully remove the cyclinder glaze you've probably already built up. By now, you should be able to ride it like you always intend to ride it -- break-in period is actually in the past at 250 miles.
Ya, the guys at the shop said to use the break-in per the manual/sticker as a loose guidance. They said to ride it like I would normally but not kill the RPM's for a couple days then go ahead and give it to her. BTW, I just picked mine up yesterday..... love it. It is great being back on a bike after almost 20 years
jeepphamilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #353
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Congrats on the bike Jeep! Post some pics when ya get a chance.

Randy.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #354
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by compman21234

I hear you , however this was the bike I had taken out for a demo ride from dealer. It left the lot with 6 miles on it, presumeably ridden during the service check ride by mechanics and I figure they probably rung the bejeezus out of it in the process. I brought it back to the dealer, following my test ride with 21 miles and the bastard that I am (figuring I'd take a different 250 if I bought one), I rung it out as well just to see what was there.
The very next day I bought this same bike and took it single tracking in slick mud for 2-3 hours hitting occasional 7-9000rpm, though I did do two 50 mile runs as per kawasaki's recomendation.
After reading the previous posts on break in, I followed the good advice given here and have been riding it as intended ever since.
Now when my 300 kit gets here from Australia, I'll be sure to break it in with some night time highway runs to set those rings as per MOTOMAN's instructions.

I am impressed with the stock D603's, they worked quite well on the trail and with 320 miles (some aggressive street riding) they're showing only minor wear for a knobbie. I have not found a distributor in the US however that carry 603's, a google search only brings up Japanese web sites. D739 look like an alternative but are not DOT. What is the metric equivalent of our tires -116?/?/18
Old 02-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #355
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

WAY to GO JEEP!!!!!
Old 02-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #356
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
The Dunlop 603s are Kawasaki only items. The D606 is very similar and mucho cheaper.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:40 AM   #357
Myall
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Crank Breather Mod

Quote:
I have been reading up about the crank case vent mod and got hold of an air filter but running any kind of tubing that accomodates 1/2 -5/8 ID, I run into fitment problems. On the petcock side there simple is currently no space to run up and over to airbox opening and on the other side the hose comes too close to the throttle lever on the carb. These were all routes explored staying 'inside' the bike frame. The stock grey hose has no restriction at all in it, rather the orifice in the lower front of the airbox is where the restriction is.
My question is this; Why not drill out the restrictive opening that receives the vent tube on the airbox? and would this not also negate the need for any additional filter as the opening is already located behind the main air filter?
Now perhaps this approach would be detrimental if the airbox ever got flooded with silty/muddy water and the drain got plugged but are there other concerns choosing this route?
G'day GuinnesS,

I have a KLX250H (Australian version) and I had no troubles finding a path for the tubing. I'll link some photos that might help you. I'm not sure if the bikes differ at all. http://web.aanet.com.au/eternalpassi...e=060115_crank

The reason why we do not simply remove the restrictor and keep the original tubing/path, is.. If it is completely open, and you fall over on some hill (resulting in a tipped over bike), crank engine oil may find it's way down (up) the tubing, into your carby, and then into the top of your engine. Not good. The re-routing will hold the oil in such a case.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #358
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Great pics Myall;
I did manage to find some thin walled 5/8th ID heater hose that now fits better.
Nice green frame

The family is going up to our local (50 miles away) riding area today and will try to get the wife to shoot some pics if she can manage.
What about dropping the pressure to 18psi, I am concerned about not having any rim locks?
Old 02-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #359
jeepphamilee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Cool2 My new ride

Well, I got the bike a couple days ago like I mentioned in a previouse post but I got to take some pics today and wanted to share. bmwhd, I couldn't help but copy the pelican case idea.... it works great! I have a Pelican 1550 I use for my photogear but it is huge, the 1200 is perfect! I removed the tool bag thing behind the seat and just through the kit in the case. Any how, i went out for a short ride today and I see what people mean about no bottom end, get it up to 4k just to keep it from stalling on incline single track. I guess I will be looking into a gearing change after I get a bit more riding time on it. I will probably due the highflow airbox thing and all those easy upgrades in a month or so. Thanks again for all the info from all of you, I am very happy with my new toy and had a permagrin on my face for a hour after I was done with my little jaunt.

P.S. don't mind the dirty garage in the background..... we are still moving into our house.
jeepphamilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #360
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
That's exactly what you do, drill out the restriction in the airbox. That was discussed a few pages back (this thread's getting too big ). Just don't leave the bike laying on the right side for a long time.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion

bmwhd screwed with this post 02-05-2006 at 06:35 PM
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote