Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2006, 03:37 AM   #586
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Whats wrong gybeman? Jealous? doesn't the KTM or Gas Gas (Fart Fart?) pages get this sort of responses? Oh well little baby just run along and have mommy change your nappy
p.s. what the hell is a vif?
p.p.s it was 37 pages when you typed your tirade.
p.p.p.s. the KLX300 isn't street legal (without modification) in the united states the 250 is anything else I missed guys?
Oh yeah what Randy said, have a good day
I know I liked the KLX for what it was... a tame trail bike that was low enough for the wife and daughter to learn on. I guess everyone here is a new rider or something and missed the 300 the first time around. If I can help instead of being a p.i.t.a. to you, then check out KTMPLANET, THUMPERTALK or some other KLX dedicated sites to help you persue your quest to try and uncork the factory's corking. Keep it stock and it will most likely last. Try to make it into something it was not intended to be and you will see why the factory wants it corked. (valve troubles and weak transmission parts) If you want a real offroad bike, you will move on soon enough, too bad that you will have put enough money into the hopup & accessory parts it to have bought a KTM or GG in the first place.
ps - vif = Honda VFR Its not a new term either, its been around for 20+ years. Enjoy, I'm outta your hair now
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:58 AM   #587
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by gybeman
I know I liked the KLX for what it was... a tame trail bike that was low enough for the wife and daughter to learn on. I guess everyone here is a new rider or something and missed the 300 the first time around. If I can help instead of being a p.i.t.a. to you, then check out KTMPLANET, THUMPERTALK or some other KLX dedicated sites to help you persue your quest to try and uncork the factory's corking. Keep it stock and it will most likely last. Try to make it into something it was not intended to be and you will see why the factory wants it corked. (valve troubles and weak transmission parts) If you want a real offroad bike, you will move on soon enough, too bad that you will have put enough money into the hopup & accessory parts it to have bought a KTM or GG in the first place.
ps - vif = Honda VFR Its not a new term either, its been around for 20+ years. Enjoy, I'm outta your hair now

..............................whatever . Your (un)officially .

This guy takes the cake, huh? A legend in his own mind. Factory corking???? Wow! This is the kind of guy that I love to meet on the trail or track so I can help him get the rest of his foot in his mouth.

Randy.
'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)

Nobiman screwed with this post 02-27-2006 at 06:13 AM
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:50 AM   #588
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Actually Todd IMO the relay is part of the problem, I put LED's in mine and they flash fast. You need a flasher unit thats designed for the low current draw like this I know this is aussie but you will find something similar over there.
You are correct. The flashing fast problem is the relay. LEDs need a digital. I was only talking about the problem of both sides flashing together.

So, for low power LEDs, the complete package is a digital relay (like the one built into the Kisan signalMinder) and a diode kit (which is really easy to make at home).

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:22 AM   #589
Norman Foley
Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer: 278
Has anyone felt that they reached the limits performance wise and would go to a larger bore bike or a more enduro oriented 250 4 stroke or even 250 2 stroke?

Make Haste, Slowly
Norman Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:28 AM   #590
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Foley
Has anyone felt that they reached the limits performance wise and would go to a larger bore bike or a more enduro oriented 250 4 stroke or even 250 2 stroke?
The US version of the KLX250S speaks to those looking for a decent, cheap, sub-650cc dual sport the same way the DRZ400S does. It's not going to be anyone's idea of a cutting edge MX bike. If max power and minimal weight are your goals, look elsewhere. If a street legal 250 that plays well in the dirt and is easy on the wallet is what you're after, you'll find the KLX250S more than adequate.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:06 AM   #591
sdunne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
No, I have been riding the hell out of my KLX 250S and it seems to be a very worthy bike I rode motocross when I was younger, and last week end I went to a local MX track, and the bike responded way better than expected. If I go to a 47T in the back I think I'll be perfect for the track. Yes the suspention is a bit soft but even when ten ft. in the air landing in the flats it still didn't bottom out. Right now im at the high end of my race sag for my weight(185lbs) and have my front fork compression at 6 clicks out and my rear at 12 clicks out, this weekend if the weathers nice I plan on going back out to the track and making some more adjustments. I know in the near future with the way I ride I will need to get harder springs both ways, but for now I'm pretty comfortable with the bike after all the mod's I've done. And as for other bikes the only one that is already a dual sport is the new husky, but it's a couple grand more, hard to find a dealer, and forget about aftermarket parts. Same goes for Gas Gas, and all other larger displacement dual sports are impractical for my style of riding. Everyone has there own prefferences, and if they made a KX 250F street legal I would buy it but intill then the KLX 250S suits my needs perfectly, plus you can always find a part that fits all you have to do is a little research. It deffinantly beats ordering parts from Italy or Austria. One more thing I have now took the bike out to the MX track, single track threw the woods, high speed on deep sand roads, up steep hills, and jumped the hell out of it and the biggest complain I can come up with is the shift lever bends too easily, and thats nit picking. And yes I have owned MX bike's to me its handleing compairs to a late 80's YZ and It's power band once carbwork is done and a new exhaust is put on is pretty damn good. I kept up with a my buddy on his '02 KX 125, so to end it now before I go on forever the bike is great for the price, its aftermarket parts, its performance after mods, and its ability ride home after going off road.
Attached Images

sdunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #592
sdunne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
that last post was in response to Norman Foley!
sdunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:43 AM   #593
Alleycat
"03"

Oddometer: 39
Pic's

Shout out everyone... Don't want to be a pain, but where have all the pic's gone. I'm still waiting for my bike..had some work done to it and its still not ready. Every time you guys post your pic's and updates I get more and more stoaked, so keep em comin..
Alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #594
Ginsu4u
Yakitty Shmakitty.....

Oddometer: 52
Ok. I just read this entire thread. I am 6"1 with a 36 inseam and 155lbs. Has anyone raised this bike? I just bought my son a KLX125L and I want to ride with him. The KLX250s is perfect if only a little taller. How much is the kit talked about in a previous post that will raise or lower 3'? Do you guys think this bike is too small for me? I'm tall and thin and need a DS (more trail but still some highway) that fits. The showroom at the local bike shop had no 250s only a kx250f and that felt ok to me. So I will have to buy the 250s unseen or go to the next state and start lookin for one to test ride. By reading this thread and other research I am almost 100% sure this is the bike for me. Any info good or bad on raising this thing would be great. Thanks in advance.

Ryan.
Ginsu4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:08 AM   #595
Alleycat
"03"

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu4u
Ok. I just read this entire thread. I am 6"1 with a 36 inseam and 155lbs. Has anyone raised this bike? I just bought my son a KLX125L and I want to ride with him. The KLX250s is perfect if only a little taller. How much is the kit talked about in a previous post that will raise or lower 3'? Do you guys think this bike is too small for me? I'm tall and thin and need a DS (more trail but still some highway) that fits. The showroom at the local bike shop had no 250s only a kx250f and that felt ok to me. So I will have to buy the 250s unseen or go to the next state and start lookin for one to test ride. By reading this thread and other research I am almost 100% sure this is the bike for me. Any info good or bad on raising this thing would be great. Thanks in advance.

Ryan.
Ya that was me, my bad.. the kit I have can bring it down as much as 3". One of the service dudes mentioned that it could go up as well...it does not go up past the original height, adjustable yes, but only up to 3" down.
Alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:36 AM   #596
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,490
I'm 6'1" w/ a 33" inseam. I sat on one at my local dealer and found the bike adequately sized for me. I ride a KTM EXC and it didn't seem small in comparison. Hope this helps.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #597
wedge
still just a kid

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Ok. The showroom at the local bike shop had no 250s only a kx250f and that felt ok to me. So I will have to buy the 250s unseen or go to the next state and start lookin for one to test ride. By reading this thread and other research I am almost 100% sure this is the bike for me.
Ryan.
do you ever get over to the 'wet' side? if your going to be around Olympia you can check out mine or Powersports in Longview may have one to buy- I will keep you in mine and check back if I come your way.
wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #598
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:

Ryan.
Actually Ryan, this bike is probably just about perfect for you the way it comes from the factory. Almost every bike I've bought in the last 15 years is set up for a 165 lb. rider. I'm 6'2" tall with a 34" inseam and the bike height was just fine, although I did buy this bike for my wife. Ergonomically it would have fit me fine. So go get 'cha one and have a blast with your son!

Randy.

P.S. We're still waiting on the Muzzy header to arrive.
'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #599
Ginsu4u
Yakitty Shmakitty.....

Oddometer: 52
Thanks guys. Thats what I wanted to hear. Keep up with the pics it makes me want one all the more.

R.
Ginsu4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:32 PM   #600
motoguy128
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gybeman
Keep it stock and it will most likely last. Try to make it into something it was not intended to be and you will see why the factory wants it corked. (valve troubles and weak transmission parts) If you want a real offroad bike, you will move on soon enough, too bad that you will have put enough money into the hopup & accessory parts it to have bought a KTM or GG in the first place.

That's the biggest load of BS I've ever read. Anyone with a brain knows that the Eco Nazis force the MFg's to severly restrict the bike to meet emission and noise regulations. In additon, the bike was kept at 250cc's instead of 300 so that in some states 16 year olds can ride it. It's all marketing. Make it too powerful and you alienate a major segment of buyers. Nobody compares the KLX to a KX250 ... get real. You don't compare a VFR to a CBR1000RR? Or a Dodge Neon to a Dodge Viper.

Come bakc when you grow half a brain and start talking reason. Owning a motorcycle is all about customizing it and getting a little more bang for your buck. If you actually ride a 100% stock bike you're an anal winnie or a noob. Nothing wrong with the later. Evenually a good rider will change the bar, pegs, skid plate, customize the gearing aor add somthing so the biek suits them better. It doesn;t matter if it's a $2000 bikes of a 20,000 bike. You not a ral motorcyclist if you're 100% satisfied with you motorcycle from teh factory. At least try a different tire.

Now if you want to get technical... yes uncorking the bike is illegal.. but that was not the point of the post.
motoguy128 is offline   Reply With Quote