Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #6061
jdubeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
I have a question...

The FMF Q4 exhaust show different part numbers for the 06-07 model and the 2009 models. Does anyone know if the 2009 model will fit an 06?

I cannot imagine there is that much difference.
There are a lot of subtle differences between those models and as expensive as the Q4 is I would not want to chance getting the wrong one. Mine was a very precise fit.
Jim
Old 12-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #6062
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
when I installed a 15 front sprocket, the fifth gear was for hills on the highway. it made just the difference that I needed. to each his own.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #6063
PaigeIGGY
I heart MILFs

Oddometer: 126
Mine is still geared as stock.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #6064
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

I'm not sure but maybe a big jump from 5th to 6th is useless anyway. The engine doesn't have enough torque to accelerate well from 5th to 6th if the ratio is wide. So the engine screams in 5th and is bellow good hp in 6th. I'm no expert.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #6065
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeIGGY View Post
I rode a bit on my local freeway system the other day and now I have noticed that there is damn near no difference between 5th and 6th gear .

I looked at the specs for my 09 and there is only a small difference in the ratio between 5 and 6.

Anyone know why such a small difference between top gears when the others have greater spacing?

My 6 speed gearbox might as well be 5
The ratio between 5 & 6 on the 2006-07 is better. The 2009+ got the short shift (sorry...that was bad)
Have never heard of an official reason, but some suggested it was due to grief Kaw got from riders not being able to hold 6th gear on the highway on a hill or into a headwind.
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #6066
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubeemer View Post
There are a lot of subtle differences between those models and as expensive as the Q4 is I would not want to chance getting the wrong one. Mine was a very precise fit.
Jim
I found a slightly used set for a pretty fair deal. I took the risk and if it doesn't work I will just resale it. I got the full system, powerbomb head and Q4 exhaust for 300. I should be able to get my money back if it doesn't work.
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #6067
Andy Fox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
The ratio between 5 & 6 on the 2006-07 is better. The 2009+ got the short shift (sorry...that was bad)
Have never heard of an official reason, but some suggested it was due to grief Kaw got from riders not being able to hold 6th gear on the highway on a hill or into a headwind.
I have never ridden an 09, but I agree that 5 and 6 are suitably wide on the 06-07. If you get the 351 hopup, the engine can squeeze out at least another 10-15 mph on the speedo in 6th, stock gearing. (Speedo is inaccurate though, by about 8-10%.) My recollection is I have had it up around 90 on the speedo.
Andy Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #6068
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
So glad I ran to my dealer to purchase my '07 when I heard about what Kawasaki was doing to the '09+ model; though at the time I didn't even know that they were shortening 6th gear along with the suspension. Not that the 09+ isn't a great bike too, I just happen to like the attributes of the 06-07. I suppose if someone wants a taller 6th badly enough, the 06-07 gears may fit in the 09+, and for that matter, maybe the klx300 gears too. I don't know either way, but might be worth a shot for someone who loves the bike and spends a lot of time at higher speeds.

Some day, someone will sell a dual-sport with a dual-range transmission, and many people will be very happy.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:50 AM   #6069
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
\

Some day, someone will sell a dual-sport with a dual-range transmission, and many people will be very happy.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kaw..._g4tr_1972.php

Bike has dual range gear box giving 10 gears.

Suzuki had one too. Can't remember the model.

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #6070
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
So glad I ran to my dealer to purchase my '07 when I heard about what Kawasaki was doing to the '09+ model; though at the time I didn't even know that they were shortening 6th gear along with the suspension. Not that the 09+ isn't a great bike too, I just happen to like the attributes of the 06-07. I suppose if someone wants a taller 6th badly enough, the 06-07 gears may fit in the 09+, and for that matter, maybe the klx300 gears too. I don't know either way, but might be worth a shot for someone who loves the bike and spends a lot of time at higher speeds.

Unfortunately I found this out first hand when I cracked a hole in my 07's crank case.

I pulled the motor and started tear down, and got fed up with all the internal parts that were torqued on with the force of a thousand buffalo. That and I couldn't get the flywheel off because that too must have been welded on. I broke two strap wrenches trying to hold it while I used an impact gun on the nut... I just gave up and purchased the bottom end from an 09 on ebay for $450. Pulled my 351cc cylinder and head off my 07, and used the 09 bottom end. Bike runs absolutely perfect - but man, that 5th to 6th gear shift is stupid. It drops like 500rpms - if that.. It's basically a five-and-a-half speed now.

Oh well. I will be attempting to split my 07 case again if I have some free time over this winter. I will patch the crank case hole and keep it in a box in case I ever want to go back.

I don't ride highway enough for it to really piss me off though. I mainly just ride roads to get to the forests. But yeah, I'm sure it was OK with the 250, but the 350 just wants more gear.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #6071
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,043
My praise of the 351cc kit is before I thought the KLX had a really wide tranny - now it seems much more narrow. And then it dawned on - with the nearly double hp it's not taking as long to need to shift!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #6072
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Well for the riding I do, I love the 09 tranny. I installed a 15 tooth and get to drop it down when I hit a hill of have trouble with wind. I can cruise comfortably at 60mph gps in fifth gear and nor over rev the bike for long hauls. The trails are sometimes an hour away and the high gearing helps on the highway.
I also have a DR650 to compare it to. I love the way the KLX rides in all terrain. Best bike I have ever owned. But it's no speed demon.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #6073
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel brooks View Post
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kaw..._g4tr_1972.php

Bike has dual range gear box giving 10 gears.

Suzuki had one too. Can't remember the model.

Right idea. So indeed, it can be done, and it can be light. Now we just need something newer than 40 years old!

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #6074
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
Oh well. I will be attempting to split my 07 case again if I have some free time over this winter. I will patch the crank case hole and keep it in a box in case I ever want to go back.
I remember following your trials and tribulations. Keep us posted on how that project goes.
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #6075
brij
n00b

Oddometer: 4
2012 KLX250s OTD price?

Hello all,

After reading the forum posts I decided on KLX250s as my first dual bike. Now I hope you guys can help with the pricing. How much did you guys pay out of the door? I asked two dealers in San Diego area and they are quoting nearly $6400 for the bike OTD. That sounds a bit too much so asking your opinion on this.

Thanks
brij is offline   Reply With Quote