Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #6271
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
This bike is ideal for very long distance off highway touring but you need to spend money on ultra lightweight gear.
I would forget hard panniers and go with soft bags or better still Giant Loop gear. Buy the bags first then purchase your camping gear to fit into it.
You can do long hauls on pavement easily enough but it is not all that enjoyable. A 351 kit is nice but not necessary.
This is a minimal sized bike so you have to think minimalist. Bring only what you need and you will find the KLX a blast to travel on. The fun level is inversely proportional to the weight you pile on. As for getting blown around, I haven't really noticed it much.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #6272
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,353
^ Agree with the above, including not being blown around too much. But then again, I spent a lot of road miles on a little 380 in my youth.

read up on this thread for ideas: Minimalist Touring Thread
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #6273
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Headwinds (especially gusty ones) are the only type of wind that give me problems on the highway...due to lack of power from the 250.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #6274
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
I'm taking the mosquito for a 4 day rally this June with a 700km day in there. I will know what it's like after that. I was thinking about the DR for the trip but since it's mostly dirt roads, why lug that heavy bike around.
DYNOBOB, you sure have a pretty bike. Mine is all scratched up by the bags on the side, and a few falls.
It's still my favourite bike of all time. When the money is there, I will be doing some cam work to boost the power at highway speed.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #6275
RSOJIM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
New Bike

I bought a new 2012 a couple months ago. Too tall for me. Let it down and had to take out 1-3/4 inches from kick stand. Its better but will try the seat concepts foam and cover for another inch lower. The instructions that came from Kawasaki for break in was to not run the engine over 4000 rpms for the first 600 miles. This thing wants to run and its impossible to keep it down. At exactly 100 miles I decided to take it through the gears and shift at 7000. I was surprised at the amount of power this thing puts out. I now have the required number of miles on it to push it a little harder. The other day while traveling east on 192 toward Melbourne I was cruising along at an indicated 65 mph in 6th gear and I decided to roll on the throttle to see what she had. In no time at all I was at an indicated 81 mph and still had more to go. I don't know how fast this thing will go, but its all this 66 year old needs. It also gets 66 miles per gallon riding a combination of highway and hard pack dirt roads. After all its an adventure bike I will be using for day rides here in Florida and in the mountains of North Carolina and the hill country in eastern Kentucky. A new friend liked mine so well he sold his tw yamaha and bought himself one. I like mine really well so far. I will make a few more changes for creature comfort and ease of riding but I will leave the motor alone. If I want more horse power, I have other bikes for that.
RSOJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #6276
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
I lowered the DR for the trails because of short legs but the KLX is light and I don't feel a need to lower it. The Seat Concepts seat is a bit lower than stock, I think.
The trouble occurs when I have a bag on the back that I have to lift the leg over to get on the bike. But other than that, it's good.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #6277
page62
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
For those who have height issues, consider the SF -- it's lower than the S...

With regards to wind issues, I'm in agreement that the only time I have issues is a strong head wind -- it slows me down on the freeway. Especially when I'm wearing my leather jacket -- too much drag!

In any case, I have less problems with wind (and turbulence from trucks) on my SF than I do my KLR650. Go figure...
Old 02-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #6278
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,128
Hey has anybody upgraded the fork springs yet? If so, what did you use and where'd you get them? I found a set of .47kg's for $125, wondering if there are any cheaper ones yet.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #6279
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Hey has anybody upgraded the fork springs yet? If so, what did you use and where'd you get them? I found a set of .47kg's for $125, wondering if there are any cheaper ones yet.

Rob

Got mine directly from Moto-Pro for $135 a year or so ago. Direct replacement for stock springs, no fabbing of preload spacers needed.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #6280
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Quote:

Rob
Installed heavier Race Tech springs in the forks and rear shock about a year ago. Sweet difference. I paid right around $200 for the set from my little local independent m/c shop.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #6281
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Installed heavier Race Tech springs in the forks and rear shock about a year ago. Sweet difference. I paid right around $200 for the set from my little local independent m/c shop.
Thanks for the quick response, folks. I found my local parts shop can get me the RaceTechs for $109, so I'm ordering a set tomorrow. I wonder if the rear shock is good enough to support an upgraded spring too or if I should just wait until I send it to Cogent.

Rob
Old 02-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #6282
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response, folks. I found my local parts shop can get me the RaceTechs for $109, so I'm ordering a set tomorrow. I wonder if the rear shock is good enough to support an upgraded spring too or if I should just wait until I send it to Cogent.

Rob
I haven't upgraded the shock yet, still stock. The spring itself made a big difference. A fork re-valve is probably more bang for limited bucks than rear shock work, especially if you plan to go through the whoops. I'm 200# or so.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #6283
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua99003 View Post
Just got an 2012 KLX250s and am looking for a rear rack. Looks like there isn't much to choose from. I like the one that was on ebay awhile back but an't there no more. Moose Racing looks ok but i would like something smaller. Any ideas ???
I just bought and installed the Pro Moto rack on my bike and I really like it. It's not going to accommodate luggage bags, but for the occasional bag of groceries, etc. it's fine. It is very sturdy and I like the way it contours the bike unlike some racks that look universal. The installation instructions sucked, but fortunately it's pretty intuitive on how to install it.

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id=610
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #6284
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by brieninsac View Post
I just bought and installed the Pro Moto rack on my bike and I really like it. It's not going to accommodate luggage bags, but for the occasional bag of groceries, etc. it's fine. It is very sturdy and I like the way it contours the bike unlike some racks that look universal. The installation instructions sucked, but fortunately it's pretty intuitive on how to install it.

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id=610

I can't say enough good things about my cyclerack. It's not much more than the pro moto rack and it's extremely strong. It also takes a lot of stress off of the subframe.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #6285
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I can't say enough good things about my cyclerack. It's not much more than the pro moto rack and it's extremely strong. It also takes a lot of stress off of the subframe.
I love my cyclerack too. However, on my last trip to Death Valley, when I got home, my bike fell off of my bike carrier onto the ground (grass). The impact either bent the rack or the subframe.. I'm not sure which. But it's crooked now. I haven't really wanted to unbolt the rack to see for fear of not being able to get it back on again.

Rob