Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #6586
BeenThere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I can guarantee you Dirt-Bags are available for the '09 KLX because I have them on mine.
'74 Harley Aermacchi Sprint 350SS
'32 Body could use some repairs
BeenThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #6587
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThere View Post
I can guarantee you Dirt-Bags are available for the '09 KLX because I have them on mine.
Can you share pics of the racks on the bike? Thanks!
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #6588
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I agree 100% on the soft bags vs hard cases. Good point on the foot-dab. I like the idea of the Giant Loop Coyote, but the price is outrageous and they aren't waterproof.

I had looked at the Dirt Bagz site, but they don't show any pics of just the racks for the KLX, and they only show the bags on a 2006 KLX, not the 09+ model.
I have the GL Coyote and love it. Move it from bike to bike. Take it off and put it in the tent. Easy! Picked mine up as a "blemish" model with a nice price reduction.

Here it is with other bags all stacked up.

IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #6589
BeenThere
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't have any pics in the computer. I try to take some for you when I get a chance.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #6590
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
I have the GL Coyote and love it. Move it from bike to bike. Take it off and put it in the tent. Easy! Picked mine up as a "blemish" model with a nice price reduction.
I really like the idea of the GL. Just wish it was waterproof. I was all set to buy one, but read a scathing review in another thread, mainly focused on the lack of water resistance, which has caused me to rethink that. I already have the Wolfman saddlebags, so it would be a bit cheaper to buy racks for the KLX and use those.

Quote:
I don't have any pics in the computer. I try to take some for you when I get a chance.
Thanks!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #6591
shezonit
just a few more miles,eh?

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
I'm looking for pics and opinions on the Happy Trail SU racks on the KLX. I found one pic of the racks on the 2006-7 model, and HT has pics of the 2009+ model. It looks like the 09+ racks are further back than the older ones. I'm concerned about the weight of the bags that far back breaking the fragile subframe on our bikes. Any alternative soft bag racks that hold the bags further forward?

FWIW, I'm looking to run Wolfman Expedition dry saddlebags. Thanks!
I just ran SU racks on the KLX for a trip to Copper Canyon. Altho I cringed at the price, I "saved" $$ by using the Cortech "sport " saddlebags and top case I already had. Put a thin plate inside the saddlebags to mount them-- NO problems. I did use an auxiliary buckled strap to cinch up the bags vertically on the rack, as they were not totally full and I wanted to eliminate sag and flopping. After 6 trips to Mexico, I did not overpack and was not packed for camping, so I didn't worry about the subframe. It all looks ok and we did some rough roads in the Canyons. On previous trips with my KLR650, I have numerous nuts,bolts and two license plates fall/ break off. (try crossing the border with no license plate....)
We attached the KLX250 rear fender to the SU rack with a bolt and rubber strip-- worked like a charm. I still have my plate! I think both the racks and the longer suspension helped.
One of our party had the Expedition bags and they looked like a great choice. I put dust covers on and still had to clean the zippers- he did not have dust or dirty zippers. I'll buy those next. I have an Ortlieb duffle and it has held up under all kinds of abuse.
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #6592
shezonit
just a few more miles,eh?

Oddometer: 274
huge gas tank?

IDRIDER- what kind of gas tank is that? Capacity? Cost? i eked out a 1400 mile trip with no auxiliary gas, but it was close a couple times and kinda nervewracking.
thanks for info-- She
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #6593
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Quote:
I really like the idea of the GL. Just wish it was waterproof. I was all set to buy one, but read a scathing review in another thread, mainly focused on the lack of water resistance, which has caused me to rethink that. I already have the Wolfman saddlebags, so it would be a bit cheaper to buy racks for the KLX and use those.

Thanks!
what year/version was the poor review. I understand they've improved significantly. Mine went through 50 miles of torrential rain and everything inside was nearly completely dry. The zipper is improved over what another inmate here and I have spoke about.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #6594
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezonit View Post
IDRIDER- what kind of gas tank is that? Capacity? Cost? i eked out a 1400 mile trip with no auxiliary gas, but it was close a couple times and kinda nervewracking.
thanks for info-- She
That's the Acerbis 3.7 gallon model. Love it. I can easily get 180 miles out of the tank with most dual sport type riding with fuel to spare. It offers pretty good radiator protection, although I have the unaguards also. Also have a couple Primus 1.5L tanks to carry for those really out of the way places (although they usually get used by the guys on Hondas ). Check justgastanks.com

Some of the fuel sits low in the "wings" and isn't immediately accessible to the petcock - tip the bike to the side to get the fuel into the petcock "well." I did this once, laying the bike on its left side and picking back up to get another 25+ miles down the road. I think we did around 200+ miles on that tank. Another inmate or two here have used fuel pumps and lines to suck out every last drop and not worry about using reserve or tipping over.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #6595
BeenThere
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Go to page 247 post 3701 of this thread for pictures. Don't know what year that bike is, but that's how mine look.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #6596
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Go to page 247 post 3701 of this thread for pictures. Don't know what year that bike is, but that's how mine look.
That's an 06 or 07 KLX. The mounting points must be different. Does the front strap for the bags end up on the seat like that?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #6597
BeenThere
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That's an 06 or 07 KLX. The mounting points must be different. Does the front strap for the bags end up on the seat like that?
Okay, I can take some pictures in an hour or so. Can I just email them to you so I don't have to upload them to Photobucket first?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #6598
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Okay, I can take some pictures in an hour or so. Can I just email them to you so I don't have to upload them to Photobucket first?
PM'ed you my email. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 AM   #6599
dgmeister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
notarat = it may well be the valves.

STOP using the bike at least until you check the clearances!
dgmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #6600
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Question 2006 KLX 250s adjustments

Good morning everyone,

My friends helped me lower my KLX last night, so now I can ride the thing! The Kuoba lowering links (#4's) lowered the bike a full two inches Doesn't feel like the same bike, but I least I can stop at stoplights without fear of falling over.

Unfortunately, I can't really ride it still because the darn thing won't start most of the time. It only starts if it's above 60 degrees, which never happens on Colorado mornings, so it's a day-time only bike right now. I understand I'll have to re-jet the carb, but there's so much info on that and other mods that what I'd like from you folks is a condensed sort of cliffs-notes version of what I need to do. Simple one-line answers are fine, I really just want someone to tell me what to do

1) What kind of re-jetting will I need to do at this elevation? I'm at ~6000 ft, and ride up into the mountains. Do I need to change out the pilot and the main jets, or just one or the other? What about the needle?

2) I've seen talk of the Kuoba T-handle A/F mixture screw--should I be getting one of those, too?

3) What's this business about "drilling out" the carb? Do I need to do that, too?

4) Should I do anything to the airbox? I've seen many options, mostly combinations of remove the lid and/or remove the snorkel and/or replace the snorkel with the KDX. Which of these is easy and effective?

and, other stuff....

4) I'm going to replace the bars so I don't have to mess around with the ends of the bars to install hand-guards. I'd like to stick to the stock dimensions so I don't have to mess around with cable lengths. Are the Pro-Taper SE 7/8" CR High Bend bars (mentioned previously) my best bet?

5) I need a new brake lever and new mirrors--any rec's? I don't really need anything too fancy, I just can't sift through all the options out there.

I'm going to get the Acerbis tank, the B&B skid plate, HT's pannier frames, and....thank god, I think that's it!

Any answers to the above questions will be greatly appreciated! In the meantime, I'm going to continue reading this nifty pdf about how carburetors work.
alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote