ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #7051
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dtp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Turlock, California
Oddometer: 383
So what are you guys thinking about the new Honda CRF250L? On paper, it looks like the KLX is better suited for off-road use... more front suspension travel, more adjustable rear shock, higher ground clearance, lower weight.

Even at $600 more to get a new one, the KLX still looks to be the best of the lower-priced duals? Maybe the Honda will force a KLX price drop?
__________________
07 Husqvarna TE250,07 VStrom 650, 92 Suzuki DR350S
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon!" -- 1962 Honda Safety Rules
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #7052
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer
 
250senuf's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kootenai, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 2,177
I know that fuel injection has come a long way but I'd rather have a carb. Sure FI does great self-adjusting for altitude changes but if it messes up miles from anywhere then what? With a carb you've got a bit of chance to get back to civilization.

Thanks Honda for making the KLX look greater than ever!!
__________________
Not all who wonder are confused
250senuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #7053
Lutz
Killer Rabbit
 
Lutz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North Shore of Lake Superior
Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post
So what are you guys thinking about the new Honda CRF250L? On paper, it looks like the KLX is better suited for off-road use... more front suspension travel, more adjustable rear shock, higher ground clearance, lower weight.

Even at $600 more to get a new one, the KLX still looks to be the best of the lower-priced duals? Maybe the Honda will force a KLX price drop?
In my opinion the new Honda misses the mark significantly, but maybe that's because I have a dirt bias. What the CRF250L does for me is fit the cliche of overweight, underpowered, undersuspended, Japanese 'dual pupose' bike...now with extra cheesy bodywork. The only thing I do like about it is the lower maintenance engine design.

Lutz screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 02:20 PM
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #7054
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer
 
brieninsac's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
I know that fuel injection has come a long way but I'd rather have a carb. Sure FI does great self-adjusting for altitude changes but if it messes up miles from anywhere then what? With a carb you've got a bit of chance to get back to civilization.

Thanks Honda for making the KLX look greater than ever!!
Fuel injection is incredibly reliable which is why all cars use it. The problem is when you go to add mods and adjusting the fuel intake.
__________________
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
Dynojet FMF Q4 K&N Air Filter KDX Snorkel RAM Mount
15/42 Pirelli Scorpion MT 90/AT Pro Moto Rack Seat Concepts
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #7055
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Oddometer: 1,036
Quick tire question y'all...

I just got a new set of Kenda Washougal tires front and rear and my bike seems to float all over the road; acting like the tires are flat.

I know they are not dual sport tires but it was one of the few off road tires available and with the rainy season I need more bite.
Could it be that I have the wrong size front tire on my bike? I put on a 80/100 - 21" which was the only size they had. I know stock is 3.00 X 21 but have no idea how those compare.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #7056
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
From what I've read, the rear XCMH wears faster than the Trackmaster II and I don't think it's DOT approved. FWIW, I'm not 100% happy with the TMII rear, as it does wear fast, and I think it slides sideways too easily compared to most "real" I.e. non DOT knobbies.
Interesting about the sliding sideways... I noticed that too but thought it was just my lack of experience. Well, crap then. What else is out there to try?? I'm gonna need a new rear tire pretty soon.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #7057
TNC
Candyass Camper
 
TNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Quick tire question y'all...

I just got a new set of Kenda Washougal tires front and rear and my bike seems to float all over the road; acting like the tires are flat.

I know they are not dual sport tires but it was one of the few off road tires available and with the rainy season I need more bite.
Could it be that I have the wrong size front tire on my bike? I put on a 80/100 - 21" which was the only size they had. I know stock is 3.00 X 21 but have no idea how those compare.
Well, 80mm isn't terribly small by any means. It's probably like the average 3.00X21. The 90/100 and 100/100 is more like a 3.25X21. But you know, it probably has more to do with the tread design and profile as to how it behaves on pavement. What kind of pressure are you running?
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #7058
ACole
Udafarkarwee Tribe.
 
ACole's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Far North New Zealand
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
From what I've read, the rear XCMH wears faster than the Trackmaster II and I don't think it's DOT approved. FWIW, I'm not 100% happy with the TMII rear, as it does wear fast, and I think it slides sideways too easily compared to most "real" I.e. non DOT knobbies.
Scorpion XC Mid Hard is Dot approved. I use them, they're not great but I've found them to be a good all rounder.
__________________
09, KLX250s, Stage 2 jet kit, etc, 09 XT660R, Stage 2 DNA Filter, Dunlop D606 Tyres, GYTR Bash Plate, Fork Spring Spacers, OTR Water Pump Guard, CNC Gear Lever, Rear B/lever ext, EGO B/Busters, Cameltoe S/Stand Puck, Ventura pack rack. CB1000R9
ACole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #7059
Lutz
Killer Rabbit
 
Lutz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North Shore of Lake Superior
Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Quick tire question y'all...

I just got a new set of Kenda Washougal tires front and rear and my bike seems to float all over the road; acting like the tires are flat.

I know they are not dual sport tires but it was one of the few off road tires available and with the rainy season I need more bite.
Could it be that I have the wrong size front tire on my bike? I put on a 80/100 - 21" which was the only size they had. I know stock is 3.00 X 21 but have no idea how those compare.
I just (well 1000+ miles ago, but only 13 days ago) put a Kenda K775F Washougal front on my bike, 80/100-21, normal compound. The standard compound K775F in 80/100-21 is a DOT tire (it has DOT markings), by the way, but it is not marketed as such; I can't vouch for whether it is DOT in other sizes or in the sticky compound. So far I've been running around 21 psi cold.

At the same time as the Washougal front (~1000 miles ago), I put on a new Kenda K270 rear, 4.50-18; this is the same model rear tire I had on my bike for the previous 4000+ miles.

My previous front tire was a Kenda K760 Trackmaster II, 80/100-21, which I had on for something like 2000 or 3000 miles or more. I typically ran 22-25 psi cold.

Now to your question: to me, the Kenda Washougal front is definitely not as planted feeling in a straight line as the Trackmaster II front was. With the Washougal, I tend to get a lot more headshake in deep, loose gravel or in deep sand, as well as at speed on pavement or hardpack. The headshake isn't violent, and is not disconcerting for me - it's pretty mild, really, and I can still make the bike go where I want it. However, it didn't really happen with the previous tire, nor did it happen with the OEM D605. However, in corners I think the Washougal feels better than the Trackmaster did, and offroad it's been working very well for me.

The tread design of the Washougal front is the likely culprit - few, small, widely spaced knobs in contact with the ground.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #7060
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,310
I'll probably never run any front tire other than the XCMH. I like it that much. It's great on the road, mud, sand, rocks, everywhere. I've got about 1500 miles on it and it's wearing great. Now only need to find a rear tire I like as much....
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #7061
Landon
Studly Adventurer
 
Landon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Lebanon, IN
Oddometer: 566
When you guys get done talking about tires, can we discuss which oil is best?
__________________
Landon
06 Kaw KLX250s
09 Kaw Versys
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #7062
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Well, 80mm isn't terribly small by any means. It's probably like the average 3.00X21. The 90/100 and 100/100 is more like a 3.25X21. But you know, it probably has more to do with the tread design and profile as to how it behaves on pavement. What kind of pressure are you running?
I had them at about 35 psi. They were pretty impressive today in the mud though so I guess that is the trade off. I so miss America's options; MT21's, D606/908's etc. By comparison, I would say these tires are 10% better off road but those guys last 4X as long and are 5X better on the road!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #7063
TNC
Candyass Camper
 
TNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I had them at about 35 psi. They were pretty impressive today in the mud though so I guess that is the trade off. I so miss America's options; MT21's, D606/908's etc. By comparison, I would say these tires are 10% better off road but those guys last 4X as long and are 5X better on the road!
35 psi? Ricky, isn't that way, way above any recommended tire pressure for the KLX...and especially so in the case of a knobby?
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #7064
bhorocks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bhorocks's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Phoenix az
Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
When you guys get done talking about tires, can we discuss which oil is best?


I have figured out why the klx thread is so small, These bikes dont break.... Makes it almost a boring bike to own if you like wrenching...

have to have something to talk about right?
bhorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #7065
goofus
Swamp Yankee 4Life
 
goofus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Cobalt, CT
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post
So what are you guys thinking about the new Honda CRF250L? On paper, it looks like the KLX is better suited for off-road use... more front suspension travel, more adjustable rear shock, higher ground clearance, lower weight.

Even at $600 more to get a new one, the KLX still looks to be the best of the lower-priced duals? Maybe the Honda will force a KLX price drop?
Biggest differences- the CRF250L is fuel injected (huge + in my book), but the seat height is lower. And it's a Honda, it's going to last indefinitely.
__________________
Motorcycles - Dooming relationships since 1885
goofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014