Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #7336
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,021
Sand performance is as much about the tire as it is the rider. Not to knock you or anything; but I used to think it was almost all in the tire, until I rode my friend's KLX at the dunes a few weeks ago on his stock D605 front (with a paddle tire in back). It hooked up surprisingly well. We aired it down to 12 psi and as long as you keep your weight back, your arms relaxed, and stay on the gas, it does quite well.

Now, that's not to say your new knobby won't be even better (it probably will)... just that the stock tire is totally doable in sand as long as you keep your speed up. In any case, they're not great tires to begin with, so you'll enjoy having two good tires!! :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #7337
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Sand performance is as much about the tire as it is the rider. Not to knock you or anything; but I used to think it was almost all in the tire, until I rode my friend's KLX at the dunes a few weeks ago on his stock D605 front (with a paddle tire in back). It hooked up surprisingly well. We aired it down to 12 psi and as long as you keep your weight back, your arms relaxed, and stay on the gas, it does quite well.

Now, that's not to say your new knobby won't be even better (it probably will)... just that the stock tire is totally doable in sand as long as you keep your speed up. In any case, they're not great tires to begin with, so you'll enjoy having two good tires!! :)

Rob
the ORV trails that I ride are pretty tight and sandy, so I play it cautious, since I don't want to eat any bark. I should just find a big sandy open spot to practice.
mikesova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #7338
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
the ORV trails that I ride are pretty tight and sandy, so I play it cautious, since I don't want to eat any bark. I should just find a big sandy open spot to practice.
Good point. Out in the open sand, it's a lot easier. In confined spaces, it's very hard on any tire. Though I bet the better knobby will help keep from washing out at slower speeds.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #7339
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,084
For the sand around here, a wider tire with aggressive tread aired down works best.

I got a chance to push that to the limit on a TW200 this summer, fitting a 5.10 shinko 244 tire to the front.
I never had a bike that was so easy to ride in and through sand and swamps before.
I went places I would never go (solo anyway) on any other bike, and I did not fall once the entire time I had the bike.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #7340
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Good point. Out in the open sand, it's a lot easier. In confined spaces, it's very hard on any tire. Though I bet the better knobby will help keep from washing out at slower speeds.

Rob
It's more about body position and tire pressure than the tire itself. It's mostly technique. Tire choice is more important in mud, rock, or loam than with sand.

Just my experience.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #7341
Scrambleon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Thumb Seat Concepts Low Height Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGirl63 View Post
Thanks so much, Scrambleon! That would be great. Customizing the seat would probably be required, too.

PhoenixGirl63,

Got the custom low cut, Seat Concepts seat installed last week. It came out real nice. I put about 150 miles on it the last two days and I can honestly say it is a big improvement over the factory seat in comfort and in seat height. I estimate the seat to be about 1.5 inches shorter. It is enough of an improvement that I am going to wait and see about doing any other lowering for the time being. In the picture below the old seat foam is above the new seat for a comparison view.

Scrambleon
Scrambleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #7342
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
I hope I did the right thing. This year I've done a lot of modifcations on my KLX, but I never changed out the front tire. Could that have been my downfall in the sand? I replaced my rear tire with a D606, but my front tire seemed to be in good shape so I kept it, the stock D605. I am always losing control in the sand and after talking to some friends, I decided to order the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain front tire. Do you think this will be a drastic improvement in sandy conditions (Michigan)?

Hey mikesova, I play in the same sandbox as you. Take RobG's advice. It's more about technique than tire. Allow me to add to his advice. Weight bias, front to rear. When you roll off the gas, the weight transfers to the front tire and it sinks in and wants to wash out. When you roll on the gas, it gets light and starts to float over the sand. While on the gas, you steer with the throttle while shifting your weight on the pegs. Hang your ass over the rear. Keep the bike in a lower gear with the rev's higher and pulse the throttle. Gas on when your headed in the right direction, gas off when your not. Practice. Head up to the scramble area in St.Helen. Lots of open sand to play in. Consider a steering damper. They really help in the deep stuff and keep you from having to fight the wash out. This will allow you to ride longer without becoming exhausted so quickly.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #7343
Shwafish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Question about UNI air filters

Hello all,
I am new here, I just traded my V Star for a 2007 KLX250S and now I have a question. Yesterday I took the seat of to see if there had been any airbox modifications already done and I got a surprise. The snorkel had been removed but other than that the lid was intact, but when I took the lid off I was staring at an empty box. The backfire screen was there but that was it, no filter or anything else. My first thought was "How long has this thing been running without a filter and how much damage has been done to the engine already". I quickly realized that those questions will probably never get answered and all I can do at this point is get a filter and hope for the best. My question to you is if I get an UNI filter do I also have to get the support cadge thing that came stock on the bike or do they have an integrated support system? For some reason I feel like they have a plastic structure built into them but I do not know why I think that and I just want to make sure I get what I need but don't spend more money than I need to. Thanks in advance for any help.
Shwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #7344
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultaco206 View Post
It's more about body position and tire pressure than the tire itself. It's mostly technique. Tire choice is more important in mud, rock, or loam than with sand.

Just my experience.
I don't know...the discussion of the tire vs. the rider technique is interesting, but it's hard to qualify a real number on the level of importance for each. However, if the tire wasn't a major element in the mix, we wouldn't have sand paddle tires.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #7345
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwafish View Post
Hello all...My question to you is if I get an UNI filter do I also have to get the support cadge thing that came stock on the bike or do they have an integrated support system?.
You'll need to get the support cage from a Kawasaki dealer or online. I like to order from Ron Ayers, but there's plenty of others to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I don't know...the discussion of the tire vs. the rider technique is interesting, but it's hard to qualify a real number on the level of importance for each. However, if the tire wasn't a major element in the mix, we wouldn't have sand paddle tires.
I agree. If you're talking the difference between two different knobby tires, then yes, rider technique is far more important. Talking about the difference between a real knobby, and the 50/50 tires that our bikes come with stock, well that's another story. To take this to the extreme, imagine putting on Avon Distanzias and taking the bike to the sandpit. Tell me the tire doesn't matter then.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #7346
Shwafish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Thanks cjbiker, I figured that would be the case but I wanted to make sure.
Shwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #7347
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I agree. If you're talking the difference between two different knobby tires, then yes, rider technique is far more important. Talking about the difference between a real knobby, and the 50/50 tires that our bikes come with stock, well that's another story. To take this to the extreme, imagine putting on Avon Distanzias and taking the bike to the sandpit. Tell me the tire doesn't matter then.
Good to hear!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #7348
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Good to hear!!!
And of course, tire pressure is more important than tire choice, but that's another can of worms...
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #7349
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

The Pirelli came in yesterday:

I'm really hoping there is a decent difference.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #7350
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,651
Whats wrong with the tire on the left? Looks prime for zip screws to me!
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote