Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #7426
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB View Post
Hey guys, think about this and let me know what you think. DId i get lucky or is this something that we should do always.
If you drown the motor and think it is full and going to hydro lock and maybe bend a rod- valve,,,, put the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear, and roll it backwards and forwards until you get it to roll through a compression cycle. wouldn't that let all the water out of the cylinder??? and then safely run the starter????
Last year i did this when a riding bud drowned his KTM and we had no plug wrench. we tipped it upside down to drain the pipe, then put it in gear and slowly rolled it through a compression cycle. squeezed out the air cleaner and it fired up. So,,, did we get lucky, or is this a safe thing to do????
The "turning it upside down" part was a good move. I did everything else but forgot about the water in the pipe and just loaded the cylinder again and again trying to turn it over. Got so much gunk in my head I need to have the exhaust guides reamed. Stroke of luck, though. Turns out I had an exhaust valve pitting anyway and would have required the same teardown anyway.

Occupying the stable - 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2002 KTM LC4E, and a 2007 KLX250S.
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #7427
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan888 View Post
I have had a few jump out in front of me.

I was on lookout hill once. Buffalo Bill right?
Yeah, his grave is a couple of miles up the road, east of my place.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #7428
grahamfitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Question Upper chain guard -- do I need it?

Hi all,

I just acquired a 2009 model. Yesterday the upper chain guard got mostly ripped off by monsters unknown, breaking a plastic mounting tab in the process so I removed it. I skimmed through pictures here and noticed that many bikes don't have chain guards while many do so I'm wondering what the pros and cons are here and whether its worth replacing.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #7429
deej
Deej (Deric)

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfitter View Post
Hi all,

I just acquired a 2009 model. Yesterday the upper chain guard got mostly ripped off by monsters unknown, breaking a plastic mounting tab in the process so I removed it. I skimmed through pictures here and noticed that many bikes don't have chain guards while many do so I'm wondering what the pros and cons are here and whether its worth replacing.

Any thoughts?
Welcome to the KLX! I took off that guard when I installed the 45 tooth rear sprocket 13,000 miles ago. Come over and register at the largest KLX forum out there. ;)

www.kawasakiforums.com

2005 ST 1300--2006 250S--2006 XT 225
deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #7430
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 780
Couple questions for you all:

1) I'm looking to get some power for gps, so I just want a USB female plug. Is there a preferred place up front to tap into, or are people running wires back to the battery?

2) My KLX has the HMF exhaust on, with the quiet core insert. It isn't too loud, but I'm thinking about picking up a stock exhaust to get it even quieter. How much power would I lose going back to a stock exhaust?
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #7431
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post

1) I'm looking to get some power for gps, so I just want a USB female plug. Is there a preferred place up front to tap into, or are people running wires back to the battery?

2) My KLX has the HMF exhaust on, with the quiet core insert. It isn't too loud, but I'm thinking about picking up a stock exhaust to get it even quieter. How much power would I lose going back to a stock exhaust?
The best source is straight from the battery. The wire guage and potential interference from many of the OEM wires in the harness up by the instruments isn't the best for powering aftermarket devices. Just make sure you have a quality bladed fuse somewhere close to the battery.

On how much power you'll lose with an OEM pipe, it probably isn't so much how much absolute power you'll lose as how noticeable the response and torque might be affected. Plus, not knowing exactly how well your bike is currently jetted and how everything is set up to work with your current muffler, it's hard to predict the precise comparison to going back to stock. When everything is optimally set up with either OEM or aftermarket exhaust mods, a noticeable nod goes to the bike with the modded exhaust. Most modded exhaust bikes have a Dynojet kit and airbox mods too. I think those bikes have much improved driveability in response through the rpm range that yields a bigger benefit than just raw power numbers.

TNC screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 12:41 PM
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #7432
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfitter View Post
Hi all,

Any thoughts?
The chain guard's main function is to keep the passenger's foot out of the chain. I find that it also keeps my Wolfman Enduro bags cleaner from mud, chainlube, et al...but that's me. You're also less prone to have trash wrap around your countershaft sprocket. Whether you replace it or not is up to you. It's not an integral piece of anything, really.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #7433
StandingRoomOnly
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:

Be warned. If your GPS has a USB plug on the power cord, it runs on 5 volts. You must either use a Cigar Lighter adapter or a hardwired power cord with a 5 volt regulator built into the cord. If you just modify a USB cable and wire it to 12 volts, you may damage the GPS
StandingRoomOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #7434
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Yeah, I had planned on using one of the USB adapters that is meant to plug directly to the battery, with an inline fuse. That would be an expensive mistake to learn.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #7435
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,302
I ran a fused and switched circuit from the battery up to the front to power my GPS and heated grips. I used a relay from NAPA, and tapped power for the relay coil from the turn signal circuit. This makes it so the GPS and grips only get power when the key is on, so I couldn't forget to turn off the grips and drain the battery. I used an inline blade fuse holder, also from NAPA.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #7436
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,206
I had a 351 kit installed at a shop in Birmingham Alabama over a year ago.
I can't remember the name of the shop or the owners name; not even sure if he is still in business. At one time I understood he was going in business with a new BMW shop.

Does anyone here have an idea of who I talking about........???
Old 11-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #7437
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:

I installed the TAPP USB Outlet on my bike and love it. But be warned, you will need to add a cut-off switch to keep it from draining the battery. Here are a couple links about my experience.

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...install-38003/

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...-switch-38354/
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #7438
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:

Installed a ZX600 silencer on my 2009 KLX,Fabbed a midpipe out of a J-Bend I got from Summit Racing.MORE power than the HMF that was on there before,At least SOP dyno,plus very quiet.
Yes,It's Big!

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,2009 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #7439
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2 View Post
I had a 351 kit installed at a shop in Birmingham Alabama over a year ago.
I can't remember the name of the shop or the owners name; not even sure if he is still in business. At one time I understood he was going in business with a new BMW shop.

Does anyone here have an idea of who I talking about........???

Never mnd...I found him.....Terry's Two Wheel....Pelam...just south of Birmingham
Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #7440
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Awesome, thanks for the links. That looks ideal, especially when you get a switch worked into it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brieninsac View Post
I installed the TAPP USB Outlet on my bike and love it. But be warned, you will need to add a cut-off switch to keep it from draining the battery. Here are a couple links about my experience.

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...install-38003/

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...-switch-38354/