Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #751
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
...and from above:
Attached Images

'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:23 PM   #752
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjelly44
i was thinking with this mod,just to unbolt the assest and make a plate to cover the front on the head.my local kawi deal has a klx 250 all tricked out and thats what they did with a flat bar pice of alum.
as for the air box would it be worth it to just pull it out and drill it?
Yea, I bought a block off kit for my VTX 1800 that was exactly what you describe, a metal plate with a heat resistant o-ring to completely seal off the pair valve system. As soon as I find one for this bike I'll buy it.

I definately looked at removing the air box but after I made my little tool, it went much faster and easier. The air box removal would add at least an hour to the job IMO.

Randy.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:27 PM   #753
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd

Great job on the photos! You did both those just the way I did except I left a bit of the rubber hose on the front of the motor to insulate the cap from the heat of the head. Check yours after the next long ride to make sure the cap isn't suffering from the heat.

Please, please Mr. postman, deliver my new petcock today so I can test the IMS tank!
Thats not a bad idea Todd, I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:59 PM   #754
speedmaster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
KLX 250 S Hop-ups

Just curious if anyone has dyno'ed their KLX 250 before and after.
Also anybody just change the sprockets, thinking about 14/45.
Now that the break-in is over I am truly enjoying this bike.

Regards
speedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #755
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Now for the initial ride report. After reading the past reports from those of you who have already installed the Muzzy system, I was ready for an ear splitting noise once I fired this puppy up. I guess I had built it up in my mind to much because, to me it isnt that bad. We spend alot of time at the local MX track where those 100+ decibal 450's come screaming by, so that could also be a reason why it doesnt seem too bad to us. I had my wife start it since it was her bike and just as soon as it fired, she got a instant smile on her face. She said hey, it doesnt sound like a 50 cc scooter any more! now it sounds like a real RFS. So we put the helmets on and ripped on out'a here! About a half mile down the road, I heard the bike start missing. I knew what was happining but she didnt and pulled over thinking that something was wrong. She was hitting the rev limiter before every gear change, when I told her that, she couldnt believe how fast it pulled up to redline. She had never had that happen before and now she hit it constantly, so I told her to start shifting at around 9500-10000 rpms by watching the tach until she learned how to do it by sound an feel.

Needless to say, this bike is a whole different animal now. When we got back from our little ride, she was pumped! She was worried that we were gonna spend all this money on her bike and that she wouldnt be able to tell the difference when we were finished with it. NOT! I took it for a spin and before it would barely carry my 220 lbs up to 70 mph and that was in 5th gear. It would not hold speed with me on it in 6th gear. Now I can zip up to 85 in 6th in a jiffy and we havent even geared it down yet! I told her that gearing it down would make almost as much difference as adding the power mods and she said,"well what are we waiting on, lets get that CS sprocket ordered" mister! So now I have to back track and find that part # that Todd gave us 'cause I forgot to write it down.

I guess thats enough for tonite. Ride on.

Randy.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #756
kyjelly44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
the dyno test idea.we have a bike dyno at the BMW dealer in town.i should call them and see what the $ will be for a before and after test.since i got all parts on there way.the only think is .do we realy want to see the #'s?alot of thew guys i ride road with have long faces after comeing out of the shop and adding there #s with what the bolt on #s say
Old 03-11-2006, 04:41 AM   #757
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Great report Randy
Old 03-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #758
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Great report Randy
Ditto. Very well done!
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:03 AM   #759
jeepphamilee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
drilling the air box

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjelly44
i was thinking with this mod,just to unbolt the assest and make a plate to cover the front on the head.my local kawi deal has a klx 250 all tricked out and thats what they did with a flat bar pice of alum.
as for the air box would it be worth it to just pull it out and drill it?
Just wanted to drop my .02 cents on drilling the airbox. The plastic is supersoft and it really only takes about 5 minutes by hand/pliers even with the carb and stuff in the way. Also, way earlier in the posts I think someone used a piece of flatstock to cap off the airpump crap...... that's what I plan on doing when it comes time
jeepphamilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #760
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepphamilee
Just wanted to drop my .02 cents on drilling the airbox. The plastic is supersoft and it really only takes about 5 minutes by hand/pliers even with the carb and stuff in the way. Also, way earlier in the posts I think someone used a piece of flatstock to cap off the airpump crap...... that's what I plan on doing when it comes time
A block off plate would be nice but it's really not necessary. The reed valve ain't opening with the hose capped.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #761
navyman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who are posting the mod info. Every bit and morsel is helpful. I'm beginning to wonder if I can wait to get to WA before getting started. Nobiman's post really pumps me up because I'm 210 and looking for a little more show when I'm off-road. I'm used to riding two strokes so this has been quite an adjustment.
navyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #762
navyman
Adventurer

Here's a shot from a quick trip my wife and I took the other day. If you look you can see the road in the background. I'm really struggling to find places to ride here. This was a nifty little 4-wheeler trail that went off into the woods a ways.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #763
navyman
Adventurer

My two favorite things in the world... my wife and my bike!
Name:  klx picnic 083.jpg
Views: 3091
Size:  97.3 KB

This was taken on the Missouri river dam at Yankton, SD.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #764
navyman
Adventurer

Here is one more in the woods. Love the trees, hate how flat it is.

Name:  klx woods.jpg
Views: 3049
Size:  124.1 KB
Old 03-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #765
motoguy128
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
First ride with the Muzzy

I got the Muzzy system installed and jet kit put in. I was expecting it ot be louder, but wow... she really rips. FOr me the performance increase wasn;t huge because I had alreayd doen the free mods and re-jetted the bike before, but there is still yet another level of performance to be had by adding he full exhaust system. The best part is the sound. The stock exhaust sounds a little more like a scooter or lawn equipment. Drilling out the last baffle plate, helped, but nothing prepared me for the roar of the Muzzy.

Shooting out of every turn puts a big smile on your face. The biggest problem is keeping up with the shifts in 1st, 2nd & 3rd before it hits redline. I have 13/42 gearing now. with 13/45, I'll probably stop even using 1st gear altogether on the street. It's kind of like the "Low" range on a truck transfer case. Great whch you need to go 2mph and not use the clutch.

The Mussy really helps the top end. My seat of hte pants Dyno says there's very little drop in power above 9000 until just before redline, when before the bike felt a little wheezy over 9000 or even 8000. The real meat is 7000 to redline. Keep it there and she really sings. The tranny is spaced perfectly for that.

The mods I've mde were definitely worth the money. Now I just have to wait unitl May when the ATV/off road parks open to really test of the trail worthiness and supension.
motoguy128 is offline   Reply With Quote