Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #7636
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Thanks for the informative comments!
Any idea what your total luggage weighs in at?
Any issues with cracked sub frame ... or anything else cracking?

PLUS one on starting with a fresh motor. That would be my plan. Possibly a new 351cc kit, pipe, skid plate.

How does the little KLX do on chain and sprockets? I can get 25,000 miles on my DID VM-2 X ring chain (it's a 525). Seems the NEW generation of
DID 520 X-Ring Chains would be the hot set up. With Suzuki, the OEM sprockets are best. What about Kawi?

Last ... Where is the KLX made? Japan? Thailand? Or ...?
I would say about 40-50lbs, but I come from years of backing the Appalachian Trail and multi weeks treks through the southwest. I know how to pack light and still be comfortable and clean.

No issues with cracked frame or anything else, but with the gear and I the added weight to the bike is about what a lot of guys weigh just by themselves before they add gear.

Within those 50,000 miles I replaced the rear sprocket twice and the front once. Chain each time of course. I can't remember what I used off the top of my head here at work.

No clue where it is made, sorry.

Never had any issues carrying beer at least.
streakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #7637
maxjett
maxjett

Oddometer: 559
I bought my 2007 klx250 a year ago and had the cold start problem. I installed a primer as a fix. Well now one year later I finally removed the carb, drilled out the cold start jet and while I had the carb off removed the plug and richened it up 1/2 turn. Now the bike starts immediately when cold!
I had to get the .020 drill bit from a local hobby store and buy a whole kit for $15 but it was worth it.
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #7638
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
My 2009 (Transport Canada approved) KLX250S says "Made In Thailand" on it's frame sticker.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #7639
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
I checked in about 2 posts above yours with my mileage on both stock and 351cc kit.

I did a 10K trip last year 60% off road thru Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Burma up to China...
There on some kind of weight kick in Thailand with coin operated scales at every gas station (scale loudly announces your weight... don't know if chicks in Western countries would dig that)... I averaged about 17kg in a top box. Frame had broke a couple times; a competent local guy really did it up for me and I could probably case a double with 45Lb weight plates on the back with no issues to the sub frame now. Far beyond the capacity of my 690!

Quote:
Hey guys,
I know some of you guys from the DR650 mega thread. I have a DR650 but I'm still kicking around the idea of a lighter, smaller ADV travel bike.

As I browse this thread I don't see many KLX guys going longer rides ... fully loaded with gear. Anyone? (PS ... have not read every page ... but quite a few of the 500 odd pages)

Has anyone done serious ADV travels on this bike? Links to Ride Reports?
Can you carry panniers on the KLX? ... or only Giant Loop type bags? Not seen any pics of KLX with soft panniers.
How much weight can the sub frame handle in terms of load while riding on very bad roads and dirt wash board ... 8 hours a day, for weeks?

I'm impressed by the 351cc engine up grades. Sounds like an incredible improvement. I've noticed a few guys with 5000 miles or so ... any high mileage examples yet of the 351?

How about high mileage stock KLX's? Could a KLX make a trip of 20,000 miles and survive? carrying a load on rough roads / some off road?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #7640
grahamfitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
8 hours a day, for weeks?
I'll let others speak to the mechanical aspects but I know for a fact that compared to the Sargent seat on my KLR, which I can comfortably ride all day every day, the KLX seat is a genuine torture device. Your mileage may vary.

My wish list for this kind of riding is Seat Concepts seat, Acerbis tank, Happy Trails SL rack and Wolfman saddlebags. If I could only pick one, I'd happily strap a duffel on the back of the bike and carry extra gas in soda bottles!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #7641
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfitter View Post
I'll let others speak to the mechanical aspects but I know for a fact that compared to the Sargent seat on my KLR, which I can comfortably ride all day every day, the KLX seat is a genuine torture device. Your mileage may vary.

My wish list for this kind of riding is Seat Concepts seat, Acerbis tank, Happy Trails SL rack and Wolfman saddlebags. If I could only pick one, I'd happily strap a duffel on the back of the bike and carry extra gas in soda bottles!
The OEM saddle is really a dirt bike style seat, not a tourer or longer commuter stints. I love the OEM saddle for rough off road. It's marginal for longer stationary seating.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #7642
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,131
I'm very pleased with my Bill Mayer Saddles seat. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #7643
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I did a 10K trip last year 60% off road thru Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Burma up to China...
There on some kind of weight kick in Thailand with coin operated scales at every gas station (scale loudly announces your weight... don't know if chicks in Western countries would dig that)... I averaged about 17kg in a top box. Frame had broke a couple times; a competent local guy really did it up for me and I could probably case a double with 45Lb weight plates on the back with no issues to the sub frame now. Far beyond the capacity of my 690!
Most top boxes are rated at around 11 kgs., even on bikes like Vstroms and Tri Tigers. At 17 kgs. , no wonder it broke. Good to hear beefing it up worked out. Nice ride! I've ridden Thailand twice on rented 125's, and a bit in Cambodia in 1992. I'd love to get back to the region someday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfitter View Post
Sounds like the DR650 seat. Same deal. Torture rack. I have a Corbin that works well but Seat Concepts do a nice job for less money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I'm very pleased with my Bill Mayer Saddles seat. :)

Rob
Mayer does a great job. Best seats out there. Good to hear they do one for the Wee KLX!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #7644
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Mayer does a great job. Best seats out there. Good to hear they do one for the Wee KLX!
It was the first major mod I did. I scheduled a ride-in appointment and rode out there all the way from Redlands. A KLX250S on I-10 is NOT a fun ride.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #7645
Ride Now
Graybeard

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
As I browse this thread I don't see many KLX guys going longer rides ... fully loaded with gear. Anyone? (PS ... have not read every page ... but quite a few of the 500 odd pages)

Has anyone done serious ADV travels on this bike? Links to Ride Reports?

Here's a link to one of redpillar's RRs. At the bottom of his first post are links to three more rides. Hope this helps.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717020
Ride Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #7646
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
If anyone is looking for a parts bike, I just put it up for sale. Not ready to part it out yet due to my living situation and the difficulty in doing that.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863582

Sorry not done a write up on it yet. As soon as things calm down I will let give my $.02.
streakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #7647
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by streakerfreak View Post
If anyone is looking for a parts bike, I just put it up for sale. Not ready to part it out yet due to my living situation and the difficulty in doing that.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863582

Sorry not done a write up on it yet. As soon as things calm down I will let give my $.02.
That really stinks! Sorry to hear this. I'm really curious to find out what happened to the engine. Good luck with getting it sold and replacing it!
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #7648
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Is there another thread for the FI KLX250? I'm going to blame streakerfreak for this but I'm considering getting a new bike. Nothing wrong with mine now but with aprox 50K miles and a 10K mile trip coming up I'm thinking it might be a good idea.

If I was in Thailand I'd get the CRF250L as a replacement. The new KLX is about $6,000 there and the CRF $4,000. But here in Malaysia they are both the exact same at $8,000 US dollars.

Last I had looked into it, most of the guys with the 351 FI hadn't got the EFI nailed down yet and I'm just wondering if that has changed. That would make the KLX more attractive with the 351 potential on the FI version. (Mine is a 2008 carbed version).

It seems the newer KLX and the CRF are more road biased; I'm slightly bummed on that as I was hoping for about the same amount of shift in the opposite direction towards more off road biased.
Actually less suspension on the new KLX has 2 negatives for me:
1. Less suspension off road and
2. (I don't know how true this is) but it probably makes it at greater risk for theft. Lots of bike theft here in Malaysia and I'm one of the worst owners often leaving my keys in the ignition. My friends theory as to why no one has taken my bike is that it is too tall! The average man here is probably 5' 4" and very few are used to riding a "full size bike". With my seat it's actually a bit taller than the stock KLX. The new ones appear to be about 1 1/2" shorter...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #7649
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Is there another thread for the FI KLX250? I'm going to blame streakerfreak for this but I'm considering getting a new bike. Nothing wrong with mine now but with aprox 50K miles and a 10K mile trip coming up I'm thinking it might be a good idea. ...
Ricky, have you considered just tearing yours down for inspection and rebuild before it has a chance to blow up? It's a lot cheaper to replace just the worn parts than to repair collateral damage once they let go. However, I understand that parts are not exactly cheap where you are, and good shops not exactly on every corner. Even if it needs a full rebuild, it should still be cheaper than a whole new bike.

It's nuts how expensive bikes are there...I cringe whenever you bring it up. How much is a WR250R there? I'd think that's a great option for how you use your bike.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #7650
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
I was looking at the carb today and noticed a hose missing. It's number 92059A. Anyone know where it goes? It was hard as hell to start this morning cold. http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...9023#sch441249