Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #7711
DurtDevil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Omnipotent KLX

Got quiet in here.
Had to run an errand at lunch today. Still cold up in New England with a bit of snow of ground, so I left my windshield on, bag to carry stuff. Cruised a few towns over, coming home passed some power lines that looked passable (finally) - adventure time.
Got down in there and it was like soup, between the soft snow and deep mud. I don't think I had the front and rear tires lined up the whole way through. I love this bike. Spring is here!

DurtDevil screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 06:26 PM
DurtDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #7712
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,053
Similar conditions here in NW Oregon. Not so much snow as just a lot of rain still leaving lots of mud around. But Spring's coming!! Highs in the mid 60's and more and more sunshine. Shouldn't be too much longer before I don't have to wear so many layers just to go ride.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #7713
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
... Highs in the mid 60's and more and more sunshine. ...
I'm so jealous. That's good mid-summer weather in my neck of the woods - Lake Superior is one hell of an air conditioner. Our snow is starting to melt though, so the 'warm' riding season is almost here! The forecasters are saying highs around 40 by the end of the week.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #7714
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
I'm so jealous. That's good mid-summer weather in my neck of the woods - Lake Superior is one hell of an air conditioner. Our snow is starting to melt though, so the 'warm' riding season is almost here! The forecasters are saying highs around 40 by the end of the week.
I tried to start the "cold blooded bitch" today. Bleh.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #7715
mugwump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
This winter I drilled the choke jet with a #77 drill bit. That should improve your cold start issues.

Kawasaki where's the 450? photo 2013-03-24_13-01-36_218.jpg
Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #7716
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,047
Hey guys need some starting help!

I got some last minute "mandatory vacation" after some relief work in a new war zone.
So I'm heading north to Thailand, Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia with almost no bike prep time on my 70,000 mile? (26,000 mile 351 bike).

Bike was running fine... a tad rough as always as I've never sorted the jetting. Ran out of gas in my Acerbis and couldn't get it started on reserve. Normally I consider the Acerbis to have 2 reserves; the first one and then if on the highway, I pull over, lift the front off the ground and lean it and get another 10 miles or so.

I wouldn't start on reserve or with the wheelie... go some new fuel and tried under the hot sun till the battery was dead. Tried pushing it (in 95 deg, 85% humidity after walking 10 KM) several times with no luck.
A car let me use jumper cables and I got it going after 20 minutes BUT it would only idle. If I even slightly touched the gas it would die. I let it idle for 10 minutes but still couldn't give it gas. After 20 minutes if opening it extrememly slowly I could raise the idle... actually I did it by raising the idle.

After a while it let me ride it though it felt rough. Interestingly when i got gas I was expecting to put in 4 gallons as it now takes that when empty but it only took 3.2ish which + the liter and a half I put in plus the driving I did would be about the correct amount if I got gas immiediately after switching to reserve.

Any ideas?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #7717
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Similar conditions here in NW Oregon. Not so much snow as just a lot of rain still leaving lots of mud around. But Spring's coming!! Highs in the mid 60's and more and more sunshine. Shouldn't be too much longer before I don't have to wear so many layers just to go ride.

Rob

Perfect temps in my book! Problem with the mid 90's here is there is lots of technology to keep you warm but not cool. Mid 90's in the desert is fine as evaporating water on wet shirts cools you but that doesn't work in the jungle.

But too cold and I don't like the lack of control I feel when I dress like the purple balloon kid in the Christmas story!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #7718
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Was there someone on this forum with a FI bike in Phuket Thailand?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #7719
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,053
Rick:

Is your bike fuel injected? If so, then clogged injector. If not, then clogged carb, since I just went through all that myself.

If it's carb'd, pull the tank, remove the top of the carb, pull out the slide/needle and spray down in there with carb cleaner. Might be helpful to open the drain in the bowl too so it can all run out. Reassemble and try again. If it doesn't work, then you'll want to pull the carb, open up the bottom, remove the Main and Pilot jets and spray everything out, then reassemble and reinstall.

If it's FI, then I really don't know, sorry! :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #7720
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Hey guys need some starting help!
Bike was running fine... a tad rough as always as I've never sorted the jetting. Ran out of gas in my Acerbis and couldn't get it started on reserve. ...

Any ideas?
I'd guess plugged jet(s). Probably sucked some crud out of the float bowl when it ran empty.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #7721
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,237
And my guess would be plugged fuel filter.

Sent from my C771
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #7722
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
And my guess would be plugged fuel filter.

Sent from my C771
You know, that's actually a better answer than plugged jets. Run out of gas, switch the petcock to reserve and get a nice slug of muck into the filter in the process. Much easier to resolve than plugged jets too.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #7723
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
You know, that's actually a better answer than plugged jets. Run out of gas, switch the petcock to reserve and get a nice slug of muck into the filter in the process. Much easier to resolve than plugged jets too.
I pulled that tiny little sock they call a filter and put in a clear in-line on in. Easy to see the fuel flow thru in the am after running the bowl empty the night before. Check the easy stuff first, especially after running the tank dry. Hope you find it ricky.

Sent from my C771
Old 03-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #7724
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Also, i dont know about wheelie method with Acerbis tank. I just lay the bike down on the left for a short nap. Works for me.

Sent from my C771
Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #7725
Travis28715
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Question mis-aligned handlebars

I was hoping someone might have a little advise. I was following my wife when a grey pit looking dog ran out of their yard trying to nip her. Couldn't maintain her speed and veered directly into my path. I ran completely over it. Don't worry, dog, (other than some D606 tracks on it is fine), only me and bike are hurt. Some rash and bruises, broken GPS and some more scratches. However, my bars appear to be tweaked about 1-2 degree to the right from the front wheel. I have read on the internet the fork might be somehow twisted and to loosen the triple clamps etc and re-torque. I really cant see anything bent and am amazed how little damage there is. Anyone done this that is able to help me?
If I had gone down at 30mph on my last bike, It probably would have been totaled in plastics and other gobbly goo. I love this lil KLX.
(edit) when I let go of the bars, the bike continues in a straight line. Hope it is nothing serious.

Travis28715 screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 05:49 AM
Travis28715 is offline   Reply With Quote