Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #7726
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
You have the answer...does the fender look crooked over the tire?
Just need to do what you read...loosen lower triple bolts, bang the wheel straight to the fender (bars should now be straight), pump the forks up and down, re-check alignment, re-torque bolts and good to go.
Unless you really bent the bars.
Feels weird running over a dog doesn't it? Glad it was OK and you are too!
And yes the bike is tough, for as many times as mine has been down, it looks pretty good, and nothing has broken yet(knock on wood).
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #7727
Travis28715
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks again Lobolator. I will get wrenching this morning. Perhaps the dog and myself both learned a lesson. him to quit chasing bikes, they might bite back, and me to pay better attention.
Travis28715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #7728
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
re Ricky's no start with refilled tank

Does the Acerbis tank use the stock petcock assembly? If so, the screens on the fuel intake stubs could be clogged as well, might be some sort of fungus growing on them.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #7729
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Does the Acerbis tank use the stock petcock assembly? If so, the screens on the fuel intake stubs could be clogged as well, might be some sort of fungus growing on them.
My Acerbis came with its own petcock, but I do think there were screens on the intakes. Good point.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #7730
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,047
Thanks guys for the tips - you all had me in the right direction - contaminated fuel.

I dumped the fuel out (after I filled it ) and there was a ton of water in it. Water in the float bowl as well - I cleaned the filters and put it all back together and it sounds good.

Every time I have a problem on this bike strangely I find myself feeling so grateful. There's no comparison to my KTM 690. The 690 only has about 3X as many "problems" per mile BUT the HUGE issue is my KLX has never left me stranded for more than a few hours, most all problems are still rideable and most everything can be fixed by me or any local mechanic.

I don't think anyone but a dealer mechanic could ever touch the KTM, most dealers couldn't fix it, 3X KTM North America's top guys had to fly out and once they had to ship the engine to Austria as those guys couldn't figure it out.

This KLX rocks!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #7731
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
That's right... they had a kind of a rusty colored "smuck" clinging to them!

I'm thinking my cap leaks. I'm using the locking one as opposed to the one that came with it. (I'm in Myanamar at the moment (Stealing Thai wifi) and 15 liters of fuel in the presently poorest country on the planet is quite tempting.
If I do a wheelie with 1/2 a tank some fuel comes out... It seems like it would be much easier for fuel to get out than rain to get in but that's my guess...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #7732
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Ricky,
My locking cap leaks a little also. I keep meaning to try to fix it....but just haven't yet. I have the stocker cap too and I think it leaked as well, but only used it for one tank.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #7733
Shwafish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Really noisy KLX250

My 2007 KLX250S is making a very loud noise that I was wondering if someone has an idea of what it is. I know it is very difficult to trouble shoot a noise when you can not here it but y'all seam pretty good on here so I I am going to give as much info as I can and see what you can come up with.

I bought the bike used a few months back and it sounded fine at the dealership. I left the dealership and rode about 10 miles on surface rodes before jumping on the interstate. After a while on the interstate a passing truck caused me to suddenly roll off of the throttle quickly and the bike started making a hissing sound. I pulled off and checked things out and nothing seemed to be wrong. I needed gas anyway so I carefully rode to the next exit and stopped at the gas station. I filled it up and checked it out more carefully expecting to find a lose hose or something, but I did not see anything wrong. I had to get to work so I did not have much choice but to keep riding. When I cranked it back up to leave it sounded fine again. The next few times I rode it sounded fine for the most part but after sudden deceleration it would start to make the noise again and continue the rest of the ride. Then it started doing it all the time.

Now I will try to describe the noise the best I can. The first impression of hissing was incorrect. It sounds more like a woshing but with a little bit of a metallic component. It sounds like it is coming from the bottom end of the engine near the back. The bike has an HMF "silencer" which is pretty loud and the noise overpowers the sound of the exhaust. There was a manual cam chain tensioner on the bike when I bought it and I have tried adjusting it but it did not seem to have any effect on the sound.

If I can figure out a way to put up a recording of the sound I will but untilled then any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Shwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #7734
Dan888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwafish View Post
My 2007 KLX250S is making a very loud noise that I was wondering if someone has an idea of what it is.

Now I will try to describe the noise the best I can. The first impression of hissing was incorrect. It sounds more like a woshing but with a little bit of a metallic component. It sounds like it is coming from the bottom end of the engine near the back. The bike has an HMF "silencer" which is pretty loud and the noise overpowers the sound of the exhaust.

Exhaust leak at the header to muffler joint? ( also look at the header/engine joint )
Try letting a little smoke from something rise up around that connection, while the bike is running, and see if it gets disturbed.
My guess
Dan

Dan888 screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 07:52 PM
Dan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #7735
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Does it sound a little like rocks in a coffee can around 5k rpm? Cam chain tensioner. Common problem with these. You said metallic, and you can diagnose it better with a mechanics stethascope. Krieger has the fix if that's the problem. He makes a manual tensioner that fixes it.

Sent from my C771
Old 03-31-2013, 06:36 AM   #7736
Shwafish
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Does it sound a little like rocks in a coffee can around 5k rpm? Cam chain tensioner. Common problem with these. You said metallic, and you can diagnose it better with a mechanics stethascope. Krieger has the fix if that's the problem. He makes a manual tensioner that fixes it.

Sent from my C771
It does sound kinda like rocks in a coffee can but not like they are rattling around more like they are swirling around inside it and at all rpm's. The higher the engine speed the faster and louder the sound gets. The bike came with a Krieger tensioner and playing with it does not seem to change the noise. I am afraid to go to lose with it and I know I event a little to tight when I was trying to get rid of the noise and now I am afraid that I do not have it adjusted properly because I cannot hear anything over the racket that it is making.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #7737
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 833
Drive chain too loose and rubbing swingarm or guide?

DYNOBOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #7738
Shwafish
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
Drive chain too loose and rubbing swingarm or guide?
It does it when the bike is sitting still aswell as when moving.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #7739
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwafish View Post
It does sound kinda like rocks in a coffee can but not like they are rattling around more like they are swirling around inside it and at all rpm's. The higher the engine speed the faster and louder the sound gets. The bike came with a Krieger tensioner and playing with it does not seem to change the noise. I am afraid to go to lose with it and I know I event a little to tight when I was trying to get rid of the noise and now I am afraid that I do not have it adjusted properly because I cannot hear anything over the racket that it is making.
Good you have the Krieger tensioner. You'll want to get it adjusted properly. Not hard. The "cold adjust" method is easy to do. Read about it on his website. You don't want it too tight, and I think he describes a whoosh sound from overly tight cam chain.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #7740
Shwafish
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Good you have the Krieger tensioner. You'll want to get it adjusted properly. Not hard. The "cold adjust" method is easy to do. Read about it on his website. You don't want it too tight, and I think he describes a whoosh sound from overly tight cam chain.
I read all the info on his site which is why I tried adjusting it in the first place. I loosened it quite a bit and it did not seem to effect the sound and I am afraid to go to lose because I do not want the chain to slip. Is it possible that the chain has somehow bound and is holding tension itself and is no longer engaging the tensioner?

Thanks for all the help, I really have no idea what I am doing.