User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #7816
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
free mods

Okay, I've tried several different phrases, but can't find the thread that has all the "free mods" instructions. just several mentions of them. Anybody got the link? Thanks
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #7817
goofus
Swamp Yankee 4Life

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by taranaki View Post
My inseam's at 30" and the stock height is fine. I can't flat foot it but who needs to on a small DS?
Agreed- I'm somewhere between 31-32" and I just lean it onto one foot at a dead stop. I'd rather be a bit higher for clearance on the trail than lower to flat-foot both feet. If I'm putting my feet down at all on the trail, I'm doing something wrong.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #7818
goofus
Swamp Yankee 4Life

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
It will improve throttle response. I found the "bog" with the lean stock jetting nearly unrideable.
I'm still totally stock carb. That bog only happens for me when I first take off, once I've been up to 6/7K RPMs, it doesn't happen for the rest of the day.

Cold starting- for some reason, it was REALLY bad to start in the 40s/50s when I first got mine brand new last spring, but this year I did not have nearly as much trouble with the choke and starting in the same weather. Could be Stabil sitting in the tank, not sure.

Overall, that engine is very predictable once warmed up and runs great. I'd hesitate to fiddle with jetting just to overcome the minor starting issues in the cold.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #7819
De250r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
This bike needs to be rejetted and piped. Unless u like mellow. I road mine stock and liked it. Opened up the intake and exhaust and jetted and love it.

Sent from the back woods of vt via patchy Internet
Live free and ride hard
De250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #7820
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by De250r View Post
This bike needs to be rejetted and piped. Unless u like mellow. I road mine stock and liked it. Opened up the intake and exhaust and jetted and love it.

Sent from the back woods of vt via patchy Internet
Live free and ride hard

Agreed, I have the KLX250sf model, and recently did the rejet/FMF Q4/remove snorkel.

Every KLX250 owner really owes it to them self to do this to the bike. It will be the best $400 you ever spent on a bike in terms of reward.

As much as I love the added power, the ability to crank the SOB without almost killing the battery is worth the price paid by itself.
Bama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #7821
BroncoDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,886
On subject of seat height .... On my bike, when I get on when it's on the kickstand, it compresses to the point it will throw you to other side if you don't put kickstand up and I can touch with both feet. Does this seem average for this bike? I asked previous owner if he lowered and he said no. Going by seat height specs I should not be able to touch ground on this bike and no I'm not 400 pounds. Jetting questions.... Bike had 2 bros pipe and was jetted snorkel removed...I just put on fmf pipe since other one was too loud, I think my jetting is off a little bit since I don't know what is in there or what belongs in there, can someone tell me what jet size would be appropriate with this exhaust and no snorkel so when I take the carb off to see what jets are in it, I will know if they are close or not. I think I'm a little rich and I'm at 2000 feet. I'm only getting 80-90 miles before hitting reserve.
BroncoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #7822
monkey wrench
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDave View Post
On subject of seat height .... On my bike, when I get on when it's on the kickstand, it compresses to the point it will throw you to other side if you don't put kickstand up and I can touch with both feet. Does this seem average for this bike? I asked previous owner if he lowered and he said no. Going by seat height specs I should not be able to touch ground on this bike and no I'm not 400 pounds. Jetting questions.... Bike had 2 bros pipe and was jetted snorkel removed...I just put on fmf pipe since other one was too loud, I think my jetting is off a little bit since I don't know what is in there or what belongs in there, can someone tell me what jet size would be appropriate with this exhaust and no snorkel so when I take the carb off to see what jets are in it, I will know if they are close or not. I think I'm a little rich and I'm at 2000 feet. I'm only getting 80-90 miles before hitting reserve.
the dyno jet website has some info on mods and jetting. i dont remember what main jet they recommend for your set up. something close to 130. changes to carb depend on what rpm range you're rich in too. idle, mid or wot. you should use the look of your spark plug to determine if you are rich or lean. mpg has too many variables.
monkey wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #7823
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
On subject of seat height .... On my bike, when I get on when it's on the kickstand, it compresses to the point it will throw you to other side if you don't put kickstand up and I can touch with both feet. Does this seem average for this bike? I asked previous owner if he lowered and he said no. Going by seat height specs I should not be able to touch ground on this bike and no I'm not 400 pounds.
Mine has 1.5" lowering links, but the sag was adjusted some to stiffen the rear back up, so the net lowering was only about 1". I'm 145 lbs, my kickstand has not been modified, and I can sit on the bike with the kickstand down with no danger of toppling the bike. My guess is that it is lowered, and the rear sag is way too soft.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #7824
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Oddometer: 50
klx-250-300-camshaft-mod-marcelino

Has any one tried this Free Mod yet ???

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...rcelino-35904/
KLX250s Mods: FmF Q4 Pipe with a Mega bomb Header, FmF power core 4 Queit 1 1/8 Insert, DJ carb kit, DJ needle 3rd slot down, DJ jet #132, 2 turns out, Snorkle Removed, airbox screen removed, twin filter, Enduro Performance, Hand Guards, IMS 3 gallon tank, 13t front 48t rear, Soupy lowering link, seat concepts 1" lower cover, mercelo cam timing mod
zippets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #7825
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Quote:
I purchased this lowering links he is a local guy in Michigan they go from 0 - 4" lower then stock http://www.ebay.com/itm/181083781684...84.m1497.l2649

i also purchased a seat concepts seat cover that makes the seat wider and shorter for longer rides I LOVE IT

KLX250s Mods: FmF Q4 Pipe with a Mega bomb Header, FmF power core 4 Queit 1 1/8 Insert, DJ carb kit, DJ needle 3rd slot down, DJ jet #132, 2 turns out, Snorkle Removed, airbox screen removed, twin filter, Enduro Performance, Hand Guards, IMS 3 gallon tank, 13t front 48t rear, Soupy lowering link, seat concepts 1" lower cover, mercelo cam timing mod
Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #7826
taranaki
That Beastly Man

Oddometer: 1,263
MegaBomb or PowerBomb with the Q4?

'09 with a jet kit. For around $60 more is the MegaBomb worth it?
taranaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #7827
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranaki View Post
'09 with a jet kit. For around $60 more is the MegaBomb worth it?
i went with the mega bomb
Old 05-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #7828
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
I've got one of Soupy's lowering links on y Tiger 800XC and the adjustable kickstand. Only problem with the kick stand, it's got a miniscule foot that I had to have a plate welded on-should had a bigger footprint from the factory!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippets View Post
I purchased this lowering links he is a local guy in Michigan they go from 0 - 4" lower then stock http://www.ebay.com/itm/181083781684...84.m1497.l2649

i also purchased a seat concepts seat cover that makes the seat wider and shorter for longer rides I LOVE IT

doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #7829
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Morimoto headlight install

For a long time I've been on a quest to find the best motorcycle lighting out there. Most of the popular off road lighting out there I wont name is complete junk - powerful LEDs or HID's with absolutely no thought going into the reflector/projector/beam shape and intensity.

I recently tried out some lights that were excellent in regards to beam shape, intensity etc BUT they were complete junk as far as quality goes. The cut off shield failed the first day and then only worked intermitantly after that. The ballast failed pretty quickly as well probably from the vibrations.
However I mention the light as the beam was so good it'd be worth it for someone to find a way to make it work!

Here's the finished light mounted in my OEM headlight - none too pretty! :)

The projector is quite a bit longer than the stock light so I had to move everything out about an inch. (For those who don't recognize my dash I have the 2008 KLX250 which wasn't sold in the US; it has the same dash as the KLX450.)

This probably wasn't very smart of me but I had the 50watt ballast mounted just under the acerbis 3.7 gallon tank. That was as far away as it could be with the cable that came with the kit.

I did a horrible job trying to take pictures of the beam; I know to do a one to one comparison you need to know how to manually use the camera and lock in the settings. In these comparison pictures I'm comparing the stock KTM 690R light to the morimoto. The stock 690R is horrible - worse than the KLX250. (The 690E is pretty darn good actually.) In both these pictures the camera makes both pictures much darker than they were in reality - the KTM's light is bad but the picture makes it look non existant.

Morimoto

Stock KTM690R

I

Finally in the middle is a flashlight I commonly carry called the Thrunite scorpion. It's been tested in a Integrating Sphere to put out 700 "Out the front" lumens. It has an XML U2 in it driven at 2.5 amps. As you can see it blows away the KTM light but doesn't touch the HID.

rickypanecatyl screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 08:27 AM
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #7830
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,199
Ricky -
Turn the Stock KTM light on before taking the pic. We can't see anything!

Way to go on the ingenuity
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote