Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #7861
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by brieninsac View Post
I saw this in the Cycle Gear catalog today. Will it work on the stock carb?

Easily adjust the air/fuel mixture on your Kehin carbs with this convenient Air Fuel Mixture Screw from Trackside.

Features and Benefits
CNC machined from billet aluminum
Anodized finish for durability
Easy grip and turn design requires no tools for adjustments anytime
Numbered 1-4 for easy adjustment
Includes spring, two washers and o-ring
Designed to resist backing out due to vibrations
Fits Kehin FCR carbs

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/P...9_59409_423123

I don't believe so; this is for the FCR carb, which is a totally different carb than our stock CVK carb. There IS one that fits it; I forget who makes it (even though I have it -- a friend ordered it for me). Somebody will likely post about it.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #7862
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I don't believe so; this is for the FCR carb, which is a totally different carb than our stock CVK carb. There IS one that fits it; I forget who makes it (even though I have it -- a friend ordered it for me). Somebody will likely post about it.

Rob

Kouba makes a fuel screw for our KLX right here is little 'ol Boise.
http://www.koubalink.com/fuelscrew.html
Carls Cycle, the local dealer, sells the part http://www.carlscycle.com/catalog_detail.asp?cat=2448
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #7863
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Carls Cycle, the local dealer, sells the part http://www.carlscycle.com/catalog_detail.asp?cat=2448
That's it! That's the one I have.

Rob
Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #7864
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Ya, I've seen that one before too. I was just thinking for $10 I'd pick one up at the store. It's not a priority by any means.
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #7865
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,339
Some guys use a little screw bit and get in the stock screw for adjustment. I've found the Kouba T-handle to be helpful when dialing in a pilot jet (tried the #38 with 250 and 351 both and found it to be large, went back to the #35 both times), and when riding up to high elevations when a little leaning in the pilot circuit makes a nice difference. I ride a lot of elevation change here (can go 4,000 ft to around 10,000 in a day). Quick and easy. Dan888 showed how he marked the screw and carb with a sharpie when seated, which makes it easy for dialing back and forth. I put a big line on one side of the screw, and a thinner dashed line on other side (180 degrees) to show the "half" mark. I look at it occasionally and its easy to tell if its backing out on its own (never has). I know...pics...but I don't have one.
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #7866
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 424
fuel screw

got mine from www.factorypro.com for $17

Factory Pro Tuning
179 Paul Drive
San Rafael, CA 94903
USA

(800) 869-0497
Toll Free US and Canada)
(415) 491-5920 Voice
fax 415 492-8803

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #7867
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcc67 View Post
Anyone want to report their average MPG after going to the 351cc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
73 mpg (70 mile daily round trip commute).

Ron
Replying to my own post...

With the weather starting to warm up here in the dez (we're in the low 100's now) I noticed my bike became a bit rich at idle and at the off-idle transition. An 1/8 turn in on the mixture screw got it back to the sweet spot. At the last fill up (same commute) I got 74.5 mpg. BTW, I don't ride trying for high mpg's, I just ride.

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #7868
dmcc67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
just gotta rub it in, don't ya......
But seriously, that's awesome mileage!
dmcc67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #7869
taranaki
statale

Oddometer: 1,305
I have the Kouba screw - works OK but the 't' handle is hard to work with. This one looks like it would be much easier to adjust with the carb on the bike, but they seem to think a lot of it at $32 ground shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulano View Post
got mine from www.factorypro.com for $17

Factory Pro Tuning
179 Paul Drive
San Rafael, CA 94903
USA

(800) 869-0497
Toll Free US and Canada)
(415) 491-5920 Voice
fax 415 492-8803
Old 05-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #7870
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Cylinders Needed!

Sorry for the re-post, but I was just on the phone with Bill Blue. He is 100% OUT of cylinders. He can't build anymore 351 kits unless people start returning their cylinder cores or find some cylinders for him to buy. Fortunately I was able to send him one, and I'll be sending another once I get my 351 kit... but again, please, if you've gotten one of his kits and are keeping your stock cylinder around for some reason, please send it back.

Rob
Old 05-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #7871
Dan888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
... but again, please, if you've gotten one of his kits and are keeping your stock cylinder around for some reason, please send it back. Rob
Rob I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but there is no obligation to send your core in after the swap.
I think some keep their stock jugs after the upgrade because they mean to. I kept my stock jug. When I did my 351, I actually sent Bill a core I got off eBay so I could keep my stocker just in case I wanted to go back.
If anyone was interested I guess I would now consider selling the original jug I have for the core charge $. That would keep you riding while your BB was machined. Your cost would work out the same in the end .
Dan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #7872
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan888 View Post
Rob I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but there is no obligation to send your core in after the swap.
I think some keep their stock jugs after the upgrade because they mean to. I kept my stock jug. When I did my 351, I actually sent Bill a core I got off eBay so I could keep my stocker just in case I wanted to go back.
If anyone was interested I guess I would now consider selling the original jug I have for the core charge $. That would keep you riding while your BB was machined. Your cost would work out the same in the end .
I realize there's no obligation to return it; the issue here is that Bill cannot make anymore kits until people start returning those jugs. So ultimately, if anybody wants a kit, you will have to disassemble your bike and ship him your cylinder, or find one to buy used like you and I did. But I'm also sending him my original cylinder for credit since I'm getting the head porting done too.

Rob
Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #7873
Dan888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
I realize there's no obligation to return it; the issue here is that Bill cannot make anymore kits until people start returning those jugs. So ultimately, if anybody wants a kit, you will have to disassemble your bike and ship him your cylinder, or find one to buy used like you and I did. But I'm also sending him my original cylinder for credit since I'm getting the head porting done too.Rob
That's cool , I just wanted to make sure everybody realizes it.
Quote:
if you've gotten one of his kits and are keeping your stock cylinder around for some reason, please send it back.
to me, that makes it sound like you must send it back.
Dan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:54 AM   #7874
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
Replying to my own post...

With the weather starting to warm up here in the dez (we're in the low 100's now) I noticed my bike became a bit rich at idle and at the off-idle transition. An 1/8 turn in on the mixture screw got it back to the sweet spot. At the last fill up (same commute) I got 74.5 mpg. BTW, I don't ride trying for high mpg's, I just ride.

Ron

That's amazing Ron! We're jealous... and I think your bike is stronger than mine despite the fact I have BB's carb and pipe to go with it. I'm basing that on your gps screen shot from your iron butt ride... I don't think my bike could average what your's did.

I recently got a 2nd KLX 351 (but it started life as a KLX300 - not 250). It's in California and I got it to use as a spare parts bike as it was insanely cheap compared to prices here! So can I ride it by your place and pay you to tune it for me?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #7875
ntm1973
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
KLX250s rack for wolfman bags

I don't see Wolfman making a rack for a 7 year old motorcycle anytime soon so I bent and welded up these today:

I still have a few finishing touches to do but I am looking forward to being able to take my smaller bike on some overnighters on the trail.

ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote