Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Fat sleepy fingers.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #7893
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
Cross posted this on the 250 and under Minimilist Touring thread -

Just got back from a 2,500 mile week long camping trip on my 2007 KLX 250S. Since I have used many ideas from this thread and others on ADVRider I figured I would share what I used and how it worked.

KLX Loaded Front Side photo DSCN0709.jpg

KLX Loaded Back Side photo DSCN0708.jpg

Bike had about 9,600 miles before I left. I recently installed Shinko 705’s and have been very impressed with them. They show no signs of wear yet and worked very well in the dry and wet. They seem to have a firmer sidewall that the previous tires. I didn’t play with the pressure to see if it would have made a difference. Ran 32lb’s front and rear.

For luggage I had:

Giant Loop: I have the 2012 version which is different from the 2013 version. I got it new from an inmate for a pretty good price. I will see if I can find the info.

Sweet Cheeks and Giant Loop photo DSCN0713.jpg

This was the second time I used it and I really like it. I have the Ortlieb Dry Bag Saddlebags that I have used in the past and like the Giant Loop better. It goes on and off real easy and is very secure when on the bike. As you can see from the pictures below it holds a fair amount of equipment.

photo DSCN0718.jpg

It is not water proof so everything I stored in it I put in waterproof bags that I got from Sports Authority.

Ortlieb Dry Duffel Bag: I attached the dry bag to the Giant Loop. The Giant Loop has three ratchet straps that would hold the bag on. It seems extremely secure and was a much better solution that in the past with different duffle bags buggied on with Rok Straps (which I love) which then block the Ortlieb Dry Saddle bags.

photo DSCN0715.jpg

I put my tent and tarp in a compression bag. On a previous trip I put this bag in the Giant Loop. But on that trip it rained the last day so I want to pack up the Giant Loop and then put the tarp and tent in different bag.

photo Campingpacked.jpg

Chair, Tent, Tarp, Quilt, Thermarest photo TentChair.jpg

Wolfman Tank Bag: I used this primarily for my electronics... XM Radio, power converter, GPS.

Generic ATV Panniers: Carried some faceshield cleaner, hockey puck to prop the kickstand, head lamp, lighter on one side and extra straps and things I would pick up in the other side.

Handlebar Pouch: This was handy for maps or the GPS or my EZPass. I even put my debit card in there so I did not have to take my wallet out at every gas stop. This was helpful since I had to stop for gas every 55-70 miles. Thats a lot of gas stops.

Sweet Cheeks: First time I used this product and it transformed the ride. I rode to Chicago without the Sweet Cheeks. I have to say I was fidgeting for alot of the ride there. I installed the Pad with some MSR fuel bottles in the side pockets and never thought about my butt for the next 1400 miles, including a 680 mile stretch on I80 in the rain on the way home. I wrapped some gardening pad around the bottles for cushioning and just rode.

The only downside is it makes the seat much higher. The KLX's seat is not that low to begin with so that could be an issue for some people. I only have a 30" inseam so would have to slide off to one side when stopping. Luckily the KLX is much lighter that my KLR650 so it was not an issue.

The upside of this is my legs were at a much more comfortable bend and I could hang them off to the side without any concern of my foot hitting the ground.

The Sweet Cheeks and the XM Radio made all the difference as far as making the trip much more enjoyable.

Now that I am back I am thinking an Acerbis tank would be nice, and the 350 big bore kit and pumper carb would be fun! It was challenging with the stock engine since I80 has a speed limit of 70 through Ohio and Indiana. The head winds in Ohio only made it more challenging.

The KLX proved it merit as a dual sport.. having done enduros, trail rides, commuting and now touring.

John
Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #7894
Shwafish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Anyone know the thread pitch for the exhaust mounting bolts on the KLX. I do not have any stock ones left and 8×1.25 seems really close but not exactly right and it is definitely not 8×1. These are the bolts that go into the welded on nuts on the subframe to hold the mid-pipe and silencer in place.

Also nice info drklr, I hope to do something similar soon.
Shwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #7895
James Parus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
new KLX owner joining the thread(and advrider). I have owned many streetbikes and still have speed triple 1050 for the street. Couple of weeks ago I got 2011 KLX250S EFI(european version). It was totally stock and original.

I already changed:
-the snorkel
-modified the breather
-installed bash plate
-changed handlebars to higher model
-installed ufo hand protectors.
-shortwired the clutch switch to remove the restrictor that EFI models have.
-I installed wideband lambda to verify that mixture stays ok with changed snorkel and it did.

I've been trying to collect all the mods to my blog
http://corecatcher.wordpress.com/

there is also some youtube stuff I occasionally upload
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7JN0zaWls8

I live in Finland.

here's pic for the pic maniacs
http://corecatcher.files.wordpress.c...26_1859141.jpg

-JP-
James Parus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #7896
Prophex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parus View Post
new KLX owner joining the thread(and advrider). I have owned many streetbikes and still have speed triple 1050 for the street. Couple of weeks ago I got 2011 KLX250S EFI(european version). It was totally stock and original.

I already changed:
-the snorkel
-modified the breather
-installed bash plate
-I installed wideband lambda to verify that mixture stays ok with changed snorkel and it did.

I live in Finland.

-JP-
Hehe, it's like I'm reading my own post. I also have a 2011 European model and it seems like we both did pretty much the exact same mods. (Here, check out mine: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7132 )

But what is the modified breather you talk about?
Prophex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #7897
AZR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:

I already changed:
-the snorkel
-modified the breather
-installed bash plate

I live in Finland.

-JP-
Which handlebar did you go with? I didn't know kawasaki made an oem skid plate. Do you know the model number?
AZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #7898
James Parus
Adventurer

http://www.kawasaki.fi/Accessory/Det...5?model=KLX250

this shows the bash plate number. But I think it's only sold as kawasaki original in Finland? I've seen similar elsewhere and it's not kawasaki original in other countries, maybe gsg moto?

i paid 78euros to dealership.

Breather: I first opened up the hole that goes to airbox, it's very small hole(2-3mm). But I usually have issues with oil going to airbox with setups like this, and I think the breather line should loop high before going to airbox. So I put new big tube to the breather and routed it up to the cylinder head area and connected it to SAI hose(the one that comes from airbox. I blocked the tube going to the exhaust. And just left the sai valve there hanging as it gives EFI warning light if I take it off.

but i have to drive some more to see how well this prevents the oil going to the airbox during wheelies and high speed runs and such.

Handlebar:
At first I was dreaming about fatbars, but after checking out the mounting blocks, I noticed they are very heavy and it would run up the price, So I got Biltema(short of home depot here) handlebars, 22mm with high bend. They have good bend and are sturdy. This gives much more relaxed standing up position and also the cockpit feels like there is more room to move. (bars have less bend back). Biltema bar cost only like 28euros.

JP

James Parus screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 11:08 PM
Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #7899
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by drklr View Post
Cross posted this on the 250 and under Minimilist Touring thread -

Just got back from a 2,500 mile week long camping trip on my 2007 KLX 250S. Since I have used many ideas from this thread and others on ADVRider I figured I would share what I used and how it worked....

Nice set up John! You'll love the bike that much more with a 300 or bigger kit in it.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #7900
Prophex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
http://www.kawasaki.fi/Accessory/Det...5?model=KLX250

this shows the bash plate number. But I think it's only sold as kawasaki original in Finland? I've seen similar elsewhere and it's not kawasaki original in other countries, maybe gsg moto?

i paid 78euros to dealership.

Breather: I first opened up the hole that goes to airbox, it's very small hole(2-3mm). But I usually have issues with oil going to airbox with setups like this, and I think the breather line should loop high before going to airbox. So I put new big tube to the breather and routed it up to the cylinder head area and connected it to SAI hose(the one that comes from airbox. I blocked the tube going to the exhaust. And just left the sai valve there hanging as it gives EFI warning light if I take it off.

but i have to drive some more to see how well this prevents the oil going to the airbox during wheelies and high speed runs and such.

Handlebar:
At first I was dreaming about fatbars, but after checking out the mounting blocks, I noticed they are very heavy and it would run up the price, So I got Biltema(short of home depot here) handlebars, 22mm with high bend. They have good bend and are sturdy. This gives much more relaxed standing up position and also the cockpit feels like there is more room to move. (bars have less bend back). Biltema bar cost only like 28euros.

JP
My bashplate is also a Kawasaki original part. (Came as a free accessoire with the 2011 model in Belgium. see http://www.kawasaki.be/nl/Accessory/...modelYear=2013)

You say wheelie. In stock configuration? HOW? I know about the trick to use the rear spring, but I don't like doing that. (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9LaYKtgYns)
Prophex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #7901
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Steve View Post
Nice set up John! You'll love the bike that much more with a 300 or bigger kit in it.
Thanks Steve.

You heading out west this summer?

John
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #7902
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by drklr View Post
Thanks Steve.

You heading out west this summer?

John

Was out there for Easter with the family. Not sure if I can swing it again so soon but I'd love to get out there next year. A KLX with a 351 would be a perfect bike to keep out there for exploring.

What kind of fuel mileage did you get on your trip? Any intake/carb mods?
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #7903
James Parus
Adventurer

It wheelies ok with first or second gear. I use clutch/throttle and tug the bars. When it comes up i catch it with rear brake. it comes up fast so automatic reflex to use rear brake is good to have but takes forever to master.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #7904
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Steve View Post
Was out there for Easter with the family. Not sure if I can swing it again so soon but I'd love to get out there next year. A KLX with a 351 would be a perfect bike to keep out there for exploring.

What kind of fuel mileage did you get on your trip? Any intake/carb mods?
Mileage from low fourtys to high fifties depending on speed, rpm's, wind, etc. Did some basic carb mods years ago... Jetting, drilled something, klx300 air box intake.

Did a bunch of reading on the 351 and nobody seems dissappointed. Of, course then I would want to do the pumper (have one on my DR and really like it), and of course new clutch and springs and so it goes.

Gotta to look at the old cost/benefit and make a decision.

Later,

John
Old 06-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #7905
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
It wheelies ok with first or second gear. I use clutch/throttle and tug the bars. When it comes up i catch it with rear brake. it comes up fast so automatic reflex to use rear brake is good to have but takes forever to master.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
FYI the klx will pull wheels with just cracking the throttle
I just did this FREE MOD last week the bike is is night and day from when i first got it

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...rcelino-35904/

Enjoy the mod
KLX250s Mods: FmF Q4 Pipe with a Mega bomb Header, FmF power core 4 Queit 1 1/8 Insert, DJ carb kit, DJ needle 3rd slot down, DJ jet #132, 2 turns out, Snorkle Removed, airbox screen removed, twin filter, Enduro Performance, Hand Guards, IMS 3 gallon tank, 13t front 48t rear, Soupy lowering link, seat concepts 1" lower cover, mercelo cam timing mod
zippets is offline   Reply With Quote