Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #7906
Prophex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippets View Post
FYI the klx will pull wheels with just cracking the throttle
I just did this FREE MOD last week the bike is is night and day from when i first got it

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...rcelino-35904/

Enjoy the mod
Hmmmm, this does seem interesting. But I don't have close to the knowledge needed to perform something like this. I have no clue what he's talking about...

And .hHe does state that you need to take the camshaft to a head shop and have them do the ACR, whatever that is/means. So also not 100% free I guess.
Prophex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #7907
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophex View Post
Hmmmm, this does seem interesting. But I don't have close to the knowledge needed to perform something like this. I have no clue what he's talking about...

And .hHe does state that you need to take the camshaft to a head shop and have them do the ACR, whatever that is/means. So also not 100% free I guess.
if you read the first 20 pages you will see that people did not take the exhaust cam to the shop they did it them selfs as i did

i did the intake cam first and noticed a big change then decided to do the exhaust cam later :)
KLX250s Mods: FmF Q4 Pipe with a Mega bomb Header, FmF power core 4 Queit 1 1/8 Insert, DJ carb kit, DJ needle 3rd slot down, DJ jet #132, 2 turns out, Snorkle Removed, airbox screen removed, twin filter, Enduro Performance, Hand Guards, IMS 3 gallon tank, 13t front 48t rear, Soupy lowering link, seat concepts 1" lower cover, mercelo cam timing mod
zippets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #7908
Prophex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippets View Post
if you read the first 20 pages you will see that people did not take the exhaust cam to the shop they did it them selfs as i did

i did the intake cam first and noticed a big change then decided to do the exhaust cam later :)
I went and read the entire topic, but for an "engine novice" like myself I still don't realy know what he's talking about and there is a serious lack of step-by-step (pictured) instructions on how to perform this mod.

Nevertheless, I'll definitly try it, once I have the time.
Prophex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #7909
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophex View Post
I went and read the entire topic, but for an "engine novice" like myself I still don't realy know what he's talking about and there is a serious lack of step-by-step (pictured) instructions on how to perform this mod.

Nevertheless, I'll definitly try it, once I have the time.
here is a good video on the mod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2kwlqdwn40

the only thing i didnt like about this video is that he didn't take the whole timing cam adjuster off ( which you should and make sute you reset the ratcht before reinstalling it )

just do the intake also if you don't want to mess with the ACR
KLX250s Mods: FmF Q4 Pipe with a Mega bomb Header, FmF power core 4 Queit 1 1/8 Insert, DJ carb kit, DJ needle 3rd slot down, DJ jet #132, 2 turns out, Snorkle Removed, airbox screen removed, twin filter, Enduro Performance, Hand Guards, IMS 3 gallon tank, 13t front 48t rear, Soupy lowering link, seat concepts 1" lower cover, mercelo cam timing mod
Old 06-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #7910
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
klx250s exhaust gasket 11061-1055

Any tips on replacing the gasket that goes between the head pipe and muffler pipe?

I did it once and didn't do a very good job and it finally gave up the ghost.

Thanks,

John
Old 06-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #7911
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,241
Oops
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:57 AM   #7912
James Parus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
That marcelino mod is in my plans too. I was planning to do the intake first, and the exhaust during the winter.

I think some people confuse the mod and retard both cams. I think the idea is to retard the exhaust half tooth(counterclockwise) and advance the intake half tooth(clockwise)

JP.
James Parus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:34 AM   #7913
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parus View Post
That marcelino mod is in my plans too. I was planning to do the intake first, and the exhaust during the winter.

I think some people confuse the mod and retard both cams. I think the idea is to retard the exhaust half tooth(counterclockwise) and advance the intake half tooth(clockwise)

JP.
you are right

here is me on the trail listen to the bike intake nosie went away after doing the mod :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=d_XMOsz8RM4
Old 06-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #7914
James Parus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
did you do both cams?.

that is a great looking trail. No rocks and such a smooth and versatile trail.

JP

comment on your riding: You sit in same position, in some cases the front seemed to loose traction because of this. Maybe just move to the front at the corners, at least in loose sand corners, and try to drive standing up. I'm no expert, but these changes would improve your riding.
James Parus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #7915
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Quote:
did you do both cams?.

JP

comment on your riding: You sit in same position, in some cases the front seemed to loose traction because of this. Maybe just move to the front at the corners, at least in loose sand corners, and try to drive standing up. I'm no expert, but these changes would improve your riding.
Thank you for your advise
i will try this the next time out

:)
Old 06-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #7916
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by drklr View Post
Any tips on replacing the gasket that goes between the head pipe and muffler pipe?

I did it once and didn't do a very good job and it finally gave up the ghost.

Thanks,

John

Remove old gasket, clean surface of muffler pipe with scotchbrite, brillo or similar, a little grease or antiseize compound might help on the end of the muffler pipe. Slide gasket onto end of muffler pipe, not into head pipe.

Head pipe should be installed on bike, make sure clamp is very loose or slid off clamping area. Try to clean the inside of the head pipe where the gasket goes as best you can, if there's a piece of the old gasket in there, it will damage the new gasket when you try to slide it in. Also, if the clamp was too tight, it may have deformed the shape of the end of the head pipe a little. Check for that and correct as necessary.

With the gasket installed on the end of the muffler pipe You can apply a little antiseize on the outside if you wish), slide it into the head pipe, you may have to wiggle it a little before it starts to go in.

That should do it.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #7917
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Steve View Post
Remove old gasket, clean surface of muffler pipe with scotchbrite, brillo or similar, a little grease or antiseize compound might help on the end of the muffler pipe. Slide gasket onto end of muffler pipe, not into head pipe.

Head pipe should be installed on bike, make sure clamp is very loose or slid off clamping area. Try to clean the inside of the head pipe where the gasket goes as best you can, if there's a piece of the old gasket in there, it will damage the new gasket when you try to slide it in. Also, if the clamp was too tight, it may have deformed the shape of the end of the head pipe a little. Check for that and correct as necessary.

With the gasket installed on the end of the muffler pipe You can apply a little antiseize on the outside if you wish), slide it into the head pipe, you may have to wiggle it a little before it starts to go in.

That should do it.

Thanks Steve,

Will give that a shot.

John
Old 06-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #7918
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Quote:
did you do both cams?.

JP

I only did the intake cam so far
Old 06-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #7919
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
And so it begins...

This morning, I started the teardown for my 351 installation. I haven't made much progress yet, as I'm taking my time. The exhaust and carburetor are out, the oil and coolant are drained. After lunch, it goes up on the stand and I'm going to pull the clutch cover and basket since I have a new clutch and springs to install. With that done, I'll pull the valve cover and check the valve clearance before removing the cams.

The goal for today is to get the head and cylinder off. I need to get both shipped off to Bill Blue. The cylinder is credit towards the head porting, since I already provided him with a cylinder for the 351 itself. It's been sitting on a table for the last week or so waiting for me to finish up the wiring work on my DR650. I only have room to work on one bike at a time. :)

Since I expect it to take at least two weeks to get the head back, I can take my time installing the new jug and piston, the clutch, etc. I'm switching to the Krieger Manual Cam Chain Adjuster too.

I'm following IDRIDR's outstanding write-up over on kawasakiforums.com.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #7920
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
This morning, I started the teardown for my 351 installation. I haven't made much progress yet, as I'm taking my time. The exhaust and carburetor are out, the oil and coolant are drained. After lunch, it goes up on the stand and I'm going to pull the clutch cover and basket since I have a new clutch and springs to install. With that done, I'll pull the valve cover and check the valve clearance before removing the cams.

The goal for today is to get the head and cylinder off. I need to get both shipped off to Bill Blue. The cylinder is credit towards the head porting, since I already provided him with a cylinder for the 351 itself. It's been sitting on a table for the last week or so waiting for me to finish up the wiring work on my DR650. I only have room to work on one bike at a time. :)

Since I expect it to take at least two weeks to get the head back, I can take my time installing the new jug and piston, the clutch, etc. I'm switching to the Krieger Manual Cam Chain Adjuster too.

I'm following IDRIDR's outstanding write-up over on kawasakiforums.com.

Rob
I am thinking about this mod can you You Tube it?
Thanks!

Ohenry