Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #7966
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parus View Post
I can read only afr:) i got pretty good afr's. WOT 12,5 . NORMAL driving 13-14. And idle and light throttle 14-14,5

And this was with mostly stock efi. Just kdx snorkel. And Sai blocked.
Oh you're EFI? That's interesting to know. And to get Lambda, just divide your AFR by 14.7. So 12.5 / 14.7 == 0.85, or Lambda of 0.85. So you're slightly fat, but that's probably how Kawi wanted it.

I finally said to heck with the weather and went for a ride. Air temp is high 50's, high humidity since it's raining, elevation around 100' (sea level for all intents and purposes).

To recap... Main Jet is a DJ132, 35 pilot (stock), A/F screw on 2-1/2 turns out, needle on 4th clip from top.

Idle to part-throttle... still fat at 0.76 or so. Runs fine though.

Midrange... perfect... 0.90 to 0.95.

WOT... a bit fat, 0.81 to 0.85. I'm thinking I need to back off one step. Since my next Dynojet down is a DJ128, I need something that falls in between those two. My comparison chart (http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_miku...ihin_sizes.htm) says I need a regular 140. I just checked my box, and sure enough, I have one. I ordered one from Rocky Mountain recently, anticipating that it might be necessary. So I guess I'll do one more jetting later today, then do another ride for another heat cycle, and change the oil.

While out this last time, I did a lot of RPM variation. I would run it up to around 8000-9000 RPM, and let off the gas. I did this repeatedly in every gear. Also... whoever says it won't rev above 9000 is incorrect. Mine will pull all the way to the 10,500 RPM redline just fine. Sure it doesn't pull as rapidly as it did with the stock piston, but it does get there, and it doesn't feel like a struggle either. Still, I wonder how much the ported head would wake things up.

I wonder if I should try to get the low-speed jetting closer to ideal... it could affect fuel economy when riding slow trails. Not sure how short of putting an even smaller pilot in.

Edit: I checked Rocky, and they don't list anything smaller than a 35; yet two people on the jetting spreadsheet show that they have a 32.5 in there. Wonder where they got it? Another Edit: Oops; they have the TM34, not the stock carb.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!

Rob.G screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 03:01 PM
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #7967
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
So I ordered a new set of bars for my FZ6 the other day and just for the hell of it bought an MSR shifter for my KLX so I could bump up to the free shipping. It came in yesterday and I installed it. I rode in to work this morning and I might be just crazy, but it felt like the shifts were more solid. Weird. It's a little longer and stands away from the engine case a little more. Looks cool anyway. ;) It's the XR650L shifter.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #7968
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
So I ordered a new set of bars for my FZ6 the other day and just for the hell of it bought an MSR shifter for my KLX so I could bump up to the free shipping. It came in yesterday and I installed it. I rode in to work this morning and I might be just crazy, but it felt like the shifts were more solid. Weird. It's a little longer and stands away from the engine case a little more. Looks cool anyway. ;) It's the XR650L shifter.
I have one of those and love it. A little more room to get my big feet under the shifter.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #7969
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Jetting never really ends does it??? Yet another rejet, another ride, and it's still not quite right. :)

Still way too fat up top, so gonna drop back down to the DJ128. And there's a lean surge at the upper half of the midrange, so my best guess is to raise the needle a half step. Maybe that'll finally do it.

And, I'm out of oil filters. CycleGear has one in stock they're holding for me, so in the morning after I rejet yet again, I will ride over and get the filter... ride home and change the oil.

Though fwiw, this 351 kit is AWESOME! The power is sooooo nice. It actually accelerates now. Oh and I think I may go back to the 14T sprocket (from 13T). Not sure on that one though.

Rob
Old 06-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #7970
BroncoDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,520
Back story.., had a two bros exhaust on bike, was way too loud, so I was recommended the fmf q 4 which was way quieter at first but 500 miles later it is way too loud. I thought there was a quieter insert, but according to fmf there is no quieter insert and that mine needs replaced. Repacking every 500 miles is ridiculous to me. Do I have any other options like using someone else's packing?
BroncoDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #7971
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDave View Post
Back story.., had a two bros exhaust on bike, was way too loud, so I was recommended the fmf q 4 which was way quieter at first but 500 miles later it is way too loud. I thought there was a quieter insert, but according to fmf there is no quieter insert and that mine needs replaced. Repacking every 500 miles is ridiculous to me. Do I have any other options like using someone else's packing?
Far as I know, the best other choice is the KLX300 exhaust. That's why I chose it; I didn't want to deal with noise or repacking.

Rob
Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #7972
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Far as I know, the best other choice is the KLX300 exhaust. That's why I chose it; I didn't want to deal with noise or repacking.

Rob
Me too. Why deal with the added maintenance of packing? Plus the used OE 300 exhaust was way cheaper to buy.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #7973
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Me too. Why deal with the added maintenance of packing? Plus the used OE 300 exhaust was way cheaper to buy.
You know...I'll bet very few people actually repack many of these aftermarket mufflers. I've had all manner of them and just ran them until I got rid of the bike. The only thing I repack is my camping and riding gear for my next trip.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #7974
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDave View Post
thee is a quiet insert and yes it is not for the q4 but will fit in it this is what i am using and my Q4 is not much louder then stock

https://www.denniskirk.com/fmf/power...prd/435531.sku

KLX250s Mods: FmF Q4 Pipe with a Mega bomb Header, FmF power core 4 Queit 1 1/8 Insert, DJ carb kit, DJ needle 3rd slot down, DJ jet #132, 2 turns out, Snorkle Removed, airbox screen removed, twin filter, Enduro Performance, Hand Guards, IMS 3 gallon tank, 13t front 48t rear, Soupy lowering link, seat concepts 1" lower cover, mercelo cam timing mod
zippets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #7975
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

One of the things we do over in DR650 land is use the Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (and Hayabusa) stock exhaust in place of our stock system. It's a lot lighter, there's a spark arrestor that'll fit in the end of it, and they sound awesome while only being slightly louder than stock.. and no repacking.

I had wondered about maybe doing the same thing with the KLX250S and, say, the Ninja 250 stock pipe (the right side one). I found a few on eBay in the sub-$50 range. Maybe sometime if I'm really bored, I'll buy one and see if I can't make it fit.

Rob
Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #7976
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

As the screwdriver turns...

Another jetting update. STILL not quite there. I put the DJ128 back in this morning. Up top, much better, but still have that upper-mid lean surge, despite raising needle a half step more. I managed to make it a little better by going from 2 to 3.5 turns out on the AF screw. But with it that far out, I'm inclined to think I need the larger pilot jet. So I may be going back in again to swap in the 38 pilot and remove that half step from the needle (the clip is on the 4th groove from top).

The scary part is I've gotten too good at this. It takes fifteen minutes from start to finish to do a rejet. That's the whole thing -- removing plastics, seat, tank, etc., and reassembly. Taking my time too.

Rob
Old 06-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #7977
Neckrom
What was that!

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultaco206 View Post
I dropped mine off at a shop in Illinois today (customer of mine) for a suspension makeover.

It should be a real bike when I get it back. Too bad it will be December here in Iowa when I do. :(
What tail light setup is that. I have shaved down the licensplate fender on my 06 but as I use it as a strict woods bike I have even caught the saved down fender with the rear tire. I lost a plate last year. A tail light setup like that would get the license plate and the fender estension out of the way completley. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #7978
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oh, here's a shot of the filter contents from the oil change:

It's hard to tell but there's lots of stuff in there! I'm glad I changed it. This is after 65 miles and four heat cycles. The oil itself, which I couldn't get to come out in a photo, looked like coffee with creamer and lots of little metallic stuff, no doubt from the new clutch.

I'm tempted to do another change in another 100-200 miles. I'll be ordering more filters this weekend, so maybe middle of next week I'll do another.

Rob
Old 06-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #7979
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
... The oil itself, which I couldn't get to come out in a photo, looked like coffee with creamer ...
"Coffee with creamer" is not a good color for oil...sounds like oil with water in it to me. I don't want to jinx you, but head gasket problems have been a pretty frequent problem for people with the 351 kit, among other things.

Keep an eye on it. If the oil keeps getting milky, you'll need to find the source. Oil with water contamination is not a good lubricant.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #7980
mmmbeefy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Another jetting update. STILL not quite there. I put the DJ128 back in this morning. Up top, much better, but still have that upper-mid lean surge, despite raising needle a half step more. I managed to make it a little better by going from 2 to 3.5 turns out on the AF screw. But with it that far out, I'm inclined to think I need the larger pilot jet. So I may be going back in again to swap in the 38 pilot and remove that half step from the needle (the clip is on the 4th groove from top).

The scary part is I've gotten too good at this. It takes fifteen minutes from start to finish to do a rejet. That's the whole thing -- removing plastics, seat, tank, etc., and reassembly. Taking my time too.

Rob
I got really good at it too - I just did the 351 kit and Web Cams on my "free" bike that had the motor run out of oil.

After probably 10 different test rides I found myself right back at the DJ recommendations.

I'm torn on what to do about starting - It fires up right away every time... as long as I pull the choke, regardless of if the bike is warmed up or not.
mmmbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote