User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #7996
IceBikeDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
MMMbeefy,
Did you need to install the ACR on your web cam set up? I am wondering about starting issues.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #7997
Dan888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDave View Post
Back story.., had a two bros exhaust on bike, was way too loud, so I was recommended the fmf q 4 which was way quieter at first but 500 miles later it is way too loud. I thought there was a quieter insert, but according to fmf there is no quieter insert and that mine needs replaced. Repacking every 500 miles is ridiculous to me. Do I have any other options like using someone else's packing?
You can use anyone's 4stroke packing. I used an inexpensive brand from RMATV, cost $11 i think. I have only re-packed it ( my fmf q4) once, and I honestly don't think I needed to that time, just thought I should.
Dan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #7998
Dan888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
UFO fork guards for an earlier model KX...inexpensive and made our of fender grade plastic rather than that brittle OEM crap. I'll try to get you a part number. Near as I can tell from digicam pic, it's TY01-116244.
Here is a link to a thread I started over on KF about modifying kx UFO guards for the KLX .
http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...cements-31419/

Dan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #7999
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeko View Post
For plastics you guys might want to look around and see if you can find a place here in Asia which ships internationally. A new COMPLETE set of plastics is about $100 US from the Kawa dealer here.
Might be a trading opportunity here. You send someone in North America a plastics set; they send you parts that are easy to get in NA but hard to get over in SE Asia.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #8000
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Lolo Motorway and first taste of single track

Went to Canyon Junction to try the motorway from west to east yeasterday. It was a gorgeous day and the road was firm and dust free. There were some small drifts starting about 6000 ft. At 6200 feet I hit this:

I gave 'er the ol' college try but didn't make it very far. So I guess it is a bit too early to make it all the way through. On the way to Canyon Jct. somewhere southeast of Mex Mt. I picked up these:

Looking south somewhere in the old burn:

On the way back I took the road to windy saddle and Boundary Pk.

And tried single track for the first time ever on a MC:

But didn't make it very far before I had to turn around (which was a real bitch, I don't know how you turn around in a really steep narrow spot):

When I got back to Canyon Jct. I took the 4 wheeler trail to the west:

It eventually came out on Smith Cr. Rd. I followed Smith Cr. Rd. for a while until I saw Pete King Cr. Trail. I knew (I hoped I knew) where the trail came out so I gave er a go. It was a really fun trail and it was about 5 miles of single track until I came out on a two track which was about 5 miles from hiway 12. I think it was a really good trail for an intro to single track riding, there weren't really any technical sections, not very steep, only one creek crossing. It was very overgrown however, a lot of the time I couldn't even see the trail for all of the vegetation. It turned out good though and I had a lot of fun.

Where's Kawaldo?
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #8001
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
But didn't make it very far before I had to turn around (which was a real bitch, I don't know how you turn around in a really steep narrow spot):
Awesome photos!!!

The best advice I can give for a tight spot like that is to pivot it around on the kickstand. Stand on the left side of the bike, grip the bars with your left hand (turned all the way to the left) and the rear rack with your right. Lean the bike over into you, on its kickstand, then pivot it around. If the ground is too soft, dig down and put a rock under the stand. Could still be problematic with a hill nearby, but it might work.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #8002
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Figured I would join the klx crowd with this 06 klx250 that I bought about a week ago. It now joins the stable with my 94 klr250 and f800gs. Its all stock with just over 800 miles on it. I plan on starting the modifications soon.

Already out exploring dirt roads with it.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #8003
BroncoDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,923
Plant the left foot and spin it or right if your good
BroncoDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #8004
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Rob, I have that ever so slight hesitation at 7,000-7,500 RPM too. I'd say 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for me. I did switch to higher octane gas, which helped a little. Glad I'm not the only one who can't get rid of it.
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #8005
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post
Figured I would join the klx crowd with this 06 klx250 that I bought about a week ago. It now joins the stable with my 94 klr250 and f800gs. Its all stock with just over 800 miles on it. I plan on starting the modifications soon.

Already out exploring dirt roads with it.

Looks good for an '06! Congrats and welcome.
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #8006
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Awesome photos!!!

The best advice I can give for a tight spot like that is to pivot it around on the kickstand. Stand on the left side of the bike, grip the bars with your left hand (turned all the way to the left) and the rear rack with your right. Lean the bike over into you, on its kickstand, then pivot it around. If the ground is too soft, dig down and put a rock under the stand. Could still be problematic with a hill nearby, but it might work.

Rob
Good advice Rob! That basically allows you to do a 180 in only the width of your bike... I've often done in on the side of a steep hill on single track where I had less than the length of the bike to work with but enough to counter balance the front wheel hanging out over space. Only way to beat that while riding would be to be able to whip out a U-turn from a near vertical wheelie.

I dream of making a shorter, extendable, expandable, pivotable kickstand!

I'm thinking of something like we used to put on the bottoms of extension ladders after hacksawing the feet off back in my painting days. With them you could quickly make a ladder completely level on very uneven surfaces or on stairways.

A kickstand that could quickly grow or lose a couple of inches in length, where the bottom could be planted and yet it would rotate freely, and be larger surface area for mud/sand. Perhaps only slightly larger with a an even larger disc that quickly slipped on snapped to the swingarm....
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:14 AM   #8007
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Good advice Rob! That basically allows you to do a 180 in only the width of your bike... I've often done in on the side of a steep hill on single track where I had less than the length of the bike to work with but enough to counter balance the front wheel hanging out over space. Only way to beat that while riding would be to be able to whip out a U-turn from a near vertical wheelie.

I dream of making a shorter, extendable, expandable, pivotable kickstand!

I'm thinking of something like we used to put on the bottoms of extension ladders after hacksawing the feet off back in my painting days. With them you could quickly make a ladder completely level on very uneven surfaces or on stairways.

A kickstand that could quickly grow or lose a couple of inches in length, where the bottom could be planted and yet it would rotate freely, and be larger surface area for mud/sand. Perhaps only slightly larger with a an even larger disc that quickly slipped on snapped to the swingarm....

here is an awesome kickstand

http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/7420224.htm
KLX250s Mods: FmF Q4 Pipe with a Mega bomb Header, FmF power core 4 Queit 1 1/8 Insert, DJ carb kit, DJ needle 3rd slot down, DJ jet #132, 2 turns out, Snorkle Removed, airbox screen removed, twin filter, Enduro Performance, Hand Guards, IMS 3 gallon tank, 13t front 48t rear, Soupy lowering link, seat concepts 1" lower cover, mercelo cam timing mod
zippets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #8008
zippets
WilD&CrAzY

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Awesome photos!!!

Rob
+1+1+1+1

Best thing about this is the tread lightly that come with it

you never want to tear up any more of the trail then you have to

and better yet not to tear up the forest floor
KLX250s Mods: FmF Q4 Pipe with a Mega bomb Header, FmF power core 4 Queit 1 1/8 Insert, DJ carb kit, DJ needle 3rd slot down, DJ jet #132, 2 turns out, Snorkle Removed, airbox screen removed, twin filter, Enduro Performance, Hand Guards, IMS 3 gallon tank, 13t front 48t rear, Soupy lowering link, seat concepts 1" lower cover, mercelo cam timing mod
zippets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #8009
NikLyk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I got a bunch of questions for people with a big bore kit.

Im riding an EFI KLX250. I have some questions regarding the 331 big bore kit.
Im considering current upgrades:
Leo Vince exhaust
KDX200 Snorkel and aftermarket air filter.
Big Bore 331 kit
Powercommander V with professional dyno map (there is a very good guy locally)

How much HP do you think I should be expecting with this set up?

I will either be keeping stock or maybe go up one tooth. I weigh 75kg or so and on my completely stock KLX250 I have taken it to 145 km/h indicated (took a long time to get there) Its a bit scary at the freeway. I feel more comfortable at 100-110 km/h and I would love to be able to cruise 130 km/h comfortably. Do you think this will be possible with the Big Bore and stock sprockets, or do I need to go up one tooth?

What about milage, how much do you think it will suffer? I like to do longer trips and the small tank is already an issue.

What about the Marcelino cam mod mod, do you know if its worth doing on a 331 KLX. From what I can read, it only affects 250 and 300 KLX.

Finally: Any other simple/cheap mods you recommend?

Hope you have the time to answer.
NikLyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #8010
mmmbeefy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBikeDave View Post
MMMbeefy,
Did you need to install the ACR on your web cam set up? I am wondering about starting issues.
The Web Cams use a core that has the ACR already installed, so yes it is on there. It cranks easily, so I have every reason to believe it is doing its' job.

If I pull the choke it lights right away every time. If I don't pull the choke, it needs a serious throttle dance to even pop once.
mmmbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote