Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #8011
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikLyk View Post
I got a bunch of questions for people with a big bore kit.

Im riding an EFI KLX250. I have some questions regarding the 331 big bore kit....
Hey, Im from Denmark aswell. Are you sure theres any EFI tuners out there to set the air/fuel mixture for this bike? Like powercommander ect? Otherwise you might be in trouble when the kit is mounted and you possible have to rejet.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #8012
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,090
There is/was a guy here on ADVrider who would modify a kickstand to make it length-adjustable, for $40. It's been a while (at least a year) so I dunno if he still does it. I will have to dig through my PMs to see if I can still find any info on him. Way cheaper than $140+ for that fancy one!

Otherwise, maybe I'll start doing it. I have a welder and am competent at it. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #8013
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippets View Post

That's a good looking kickstand. It looks like you can raise and lower the length by adjusting that pin. On the topic of pivoting the bike on the kickstand that ability is really important. Whipping a U-turn for instance on single track on the side of a steep hill AND with lots of tall rocks, logs uneven surfaces etc it is still doable but you either need a longer kickstand or like I commonly do, put a tall rock under the stand so that as you are pivoting the bike instead of each tire being 1/2" over the ground they are 1' over the ground and you are leaning it far more back.

My idea is to have a kickstand that I could raise and lower with just my boot like those ladder levelers and on top of that have a pivotable pad on the bottom.

Part of my desire for that though is the extreme # of dead end trails I explore! I just got back from 5 days in the jungle where I was mapping single track on my gps. I was trying to find a single track crossing over the "titiwangsa mountain range" - a mountain range that runs N/S from southern Thailand almost to Singapore.
There's no maps of the trails and hundreds of potential looking single track - some indiginous people footpaths and some animal tracks etc. A ton of the narrow single tracks would come to an abrubt dead end in the middle of a tight gorge and turning around in the 96F/95% humidity heat gets tough!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #8014
NikLyk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
Hey, Im from Denmark aswell. Are you sure theres any EFI tuners out there to set the air/fuel mixture for this bike? Like powercommander ect? Otherwise you might be in trouble when the kit is mounted and you possible have to rejet.
Powercommander V fits it and other people have had success with the EFI KLX, the 331 Big Bore and the Powercommander.
NikLyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #8015
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Here we go: http://www.manracks.com

Adjustable kickstand for $60.

Rob
Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #8016
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Surge Free!!

I cured the stupid surge!! I found this thread over on the Kawi forums about a surge at highway speed. After reading all 18 pages, I decided this was probably the cure I was after for my 7000 surge. So I got home today and did the mod -- in short, it means cutting the ground wire lead off of the regulator (you have to slice the black covering back a few inches to have enough length), and ground it to the motor. To be clear -- you're grounding the regulator to the motor, not the wiring harness. But that's cured pretty much everybody's surging issues. The few remaining ones seem to be improper jetting.

And so speaking of jetting, with the surge gone, I put my wideband O2 sensor back on and went for a ride to confirm my settings. They're damn close, but I'm not quite satisfied. Idle is too fat. So I'm going back to the 35 again... you may recall I did the 38 because of that surge. And because that upper part-throttle area, where the surge used to live, is so damn close to spot-on (as in 0.98 to 1.0), I may shim the needle up one spacer. The main jet is damn close at 0.85 or so. I could probably go down one more step to a DJ126 (which is a regular 135, which I have), but I haven't decided yet if I will.

What I'm probably going to do next is pull the top end apart and take the exhaust cam over to have the ACR repositioned so I can do the Marcelino Cam Mod. I would love to get rid of all that intake noise, and maybe gain a little more in the process.

Rob
Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #8017
KamLeeR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
FMF pipe

Hey guys,

I have a FMF pipe on my KLX, rejetted, airbox drilled. She runs good, but man its really loud. Does the FMF quiet insert make a big difference? I have not repacked since I've had it. Maybe 1000 miles or so with it. Will the insert effect the power or jetting? Don't really want to put the choked down stocker back on.

Thanks!

2009 BMW GSA
2012 KLR 650
2012 KLX 250s
KamLeeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #8018
DurtDevil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
KLX evolution - final stage...?

I bought my 2007 KLX250S in Sep '09 with 114 miles for $3K. It was in perfect condition, and my first bike. Over the last 4 years this little bike has been able to 'grow' along with my riding experience, and it couldn't have worked out better.
1 yr: Zeta handguards, Utah skidplate, Clark 2.8 clear tank
2 yr: Jet kit, Two Brothers slip-on muffler w/P1 tip, KDX200 snorkel, K&N filter, UHD tubes, Maier Typhoon windshield, DC outlet on handlebars, Giant Loop bag, kickstand mod, Wolfman fender bag with spare front HD tube (for either tire), spoons, tow cable, electric tape, CO2 inflator kit
3 yr: BB 351 kit with tm36 pumper carb, went back to OEM snorkel, Jimmy Button hi-rise bars, O-ring chain (don't like it), and swap 13t, 14t, 15t front sprocket
4 yr: Just dropped off bike for full suspension overall at Factory Connection, front and rear shock rebuild

I've always stuck with D606 tires, love them. One rear a season, fronts I stretch too long but replace every other year. I change the oil and filters too often, 500-800 miles, but it makes me feel better. Had tune-ups at 3K and 8K to watch valve clearances. The batteries die every other year, but i buy cheap replacements. Fork guards are now UFO. Zeta hardguards have taken a beating, but with a little torch and tug in the vise they keep coming back for more. Gone through countless mirrors, many rear blinkers till i had leds welded (but the flat plastic lights i see now are better option) onto rear rack - love that rack. On my fifth handlebar (this was my learn-to-ride bike), and finally like the Jimmy Buttons - I'm 5'10" and can easily stand with these, no cable mods. Only my second gear changer, but i have third waiting. I use UHD tubes, changing on the trail sucks. Tried Twin Air Foam, but came back to K&N. Muffler is way too loud (96 dec, just legal for Turkey runs), helpful in traffic, annoying everywhere else - if i did it over again, I'd consider the KLX300 pipe. The Maier windshield is awesome when its needed, leave mounting clips on bars and just pop in windshild when i need it (rain, or cold weather riding). The fender bag is trouble - zip tied now to my "Tugger" strap on the front forks - need to just have bigger rear fender bag and be done with it.

I ride 90% woods, but once or twice a year go from NE Mass up into Maine (Golden Road first year), NH (up MT Washington and around White Mtns second year), and Berkshires/VT (after the big flooding two years ago, most roads washed out). So it sees occassional 500-1,000 mile weekends. Not extreme but reaching the bike's road duty limits.

Today my bike looks like its been through a war (last shop tech walked over to it and said, "man, that thing's been ridden" - i don't think it was a compliment). But the little bike does it all. I've got a fair amount invested in it at this point, but its all been well spent. Lots of guys i ride with have gone through 2-3 bikes in the same time, but i've spent way less and been way happier.

I've held off this long on the shock work because i know in the early days the soft set up saved my #$% many times, but now its time for the change. With the lastest mod, I'm looking forward to another 2-3 years on the KLX... just need to find some fresh plastics. As far as dual sports go, I think the KLX is rock solid.

Anyone else have mods, add ons they recommend?

DurtDevil screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 12:07 PM
DurtDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #8019
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,202
Thumb "man, that thing's been ridden"

Nah, that's a compliment!!

Thnaks for posting your story.

Check out DoubleTake mirrors in vendors, inmate Neduro.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #8020
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,515
DurtDevil, it sounds like you have it covered on the mods. I've pretty much done the full boat deal on my '06 KLX, and the bike has been solid. Two of the most satisfying mods were the suspension, like you're fixing to do, and the 36mm pumper. I did the suspension a long time ago, and I regret not doing the carb swap sooner.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #8021
DurtDevil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Those mirrors look like the answer, haven't come across those before thanks, but I'll have to get one at time. Definitely excited for the suspension-in hindsight I probably should have started there, and then worked through the engine mods. All the same, it will done soon, with plenty of riding time this summer to get used to it.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #8022
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Dynojet kit

Well I installed the DJ kit yesterday, removed the snorkel and drilled a 2" hole in the back of the exhaust pipe.
I have no experience with re-jetting a carb so I would like some advice on how to get it right now.
The exhaust smells like gas now and if I rev the bike and release the throttle it hangs up at 3-4K RPM before returning to idle.
So if I understand correctly the exhaust smelling like gas = rich, the RPM hanging up= lean condition. So I don't really know where to go from here.
2010 KLX250S, DJ124 main jet, needle setting in groove #3, fuel mixture screw out 3 turns.
I know this has probably been hashed over 100 times in this thread but it is hard to find the answer I am looking for so any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #8023
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
I assume this is the KLX thread. If so I thought this may help people cross shopping different dual sports. I also have one with the Yamaha against the new Honda. Hope this helps.

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #8024
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
I assume this is the KLX thread. If so I thought this may help people cross shopping different dual sports. I also have one with the Yamaha against the new Honda. Hope this helps.

That result doesn't surprise me at all. The KLX250 is pretty gutless IMO as it is delivered. I think because it's carbed instead of FI, it has to be jetted in a manner to address emissions while FI can still provide some decent performance and meet emissions. The OEM carb needle on the KLX is pretty lousy. This is why the DJ kit is almost a must for anyone wanting more snappy performance.

Just as in the WRR megathread, if you really want a more pleasant performance experience out of either the WRR or KLX, you're gonna have to do some mods. The WRR is noticeably more punchy out of the box compared to the KLX. The price difference between the two is a little bit of a benefit for the KLX, however, as you can do quite a few mods to meet or exceed the performance of the WRR. There's no simple answer to selecting either bike, as different riders will want more or less depending on their background, expectations, or application. Many get the KLX and are perfectly happy with the bone stock setup. Others who've owned full blown race dirt bikes will probably perform numerous mods if they keep the bike. There's just not any one-size-fits-all. My '06 KLX has just about all the mods one can do within reason from engine to full suspension mods. And while you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, it makes a mighty fine wallet.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #8025
James Parus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyzX...e_gdata_player

Some rock driving. Stock gearing which is way too tall.

JP

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
James Parus is online now   Reply With Quote