Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #8026
grahamfitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtDevil View Post
I ride 90% woods, but once or twice a year go from NE Mass up into Maine (Golden Road first year), NH (up MT Washington and around White Mtns second year), and Berkshires/VT (after the big flooding two years ago, most roads washed out). So it sees occassional 500-1,000 mile weekends. Not extreme but reaching the bike's road duty limits.
Your choice of course but be warned most of Maine's logging territory even outside the North Maine Woods is off-limits to motorcycles.

That said, running out of fuel and bleeding to death from black flies, horse flies, mosquitos, etc. bites are your biggest worry out there!

Anyhoo...

When I changed the oil last week I mistakenly poured too much in -- about half way up the site glass when on the kickstand and probably about 1/4 inch above it when vertical -- and when I ran the engine some oil came out the half-moon areas on the right side of the engine. I drained the excess which was probably about a cup but is there anything I should be concerned about?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #8027
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,810
Sounds like you caught it in time,remember at least you changed the oil,and took the time to make sure it was right,your bike is in good hands.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #8028
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
I assume this is the KLX thread. If so I thought this may help people cross shopping different dual sports. I also have one with the Yamaha against the new Honda. Hope this helps.
Thanks for posting the vid burtonrider!

Can you give us the details? Was that a bone stock WRR drag racing a bone stock KLX? First round starting in first, return starting in 2nd gear?

I think cycleworld posted 7.6 and 9.5 0-60mph times for the 2 which is a big difference.
I'm curious (my feelings wont be hurt either way) how a WR290R/uncorked/pipe/normal mods would do against a KLX351 with pumper and same mods.
The WR would have to annihilate the KLX for me to consider it though just because it is not sold here in Malaysia, no dealer support and Kawasaki is by far the most supported brand in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.
But if I was in America....
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #8029
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfitter View Post
Your choice of course but be warned most of Maine's logging territory even outside the North Maine Woods is off-limits to motorcycles.

The whole "which bike is best" topic gets put into perspective when there is no place to ride! You poor guys in America! I just got back from there and couldn't believe how none of the riding places I knew as a kid were still there... and how far people had to go to ride dirt!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #8030
grahamfitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
The whole "which bike is best" topic gets put into perspective when there is no place to ride! You poor guys in America! I just got back from there and couldn't believe how none of the riding places I knew as a kid were still there... and how far people had to go to ride dirt!
Even with a whole bunch of Maine backcountry in private hands the state is truly special and well worth the effort to explore. You could spend a lifetime on Vermont and New Hampshire trails. Western Mass. and Conn. too.

Back to your scheduled programming...
Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #8031
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Thanks for posting the vid burtonrider!

Can you give us the details? Was that a bone stock WRR drag racing a bone stock KLX? First round starting in first, return starting in 2nd gear?

I think cycleworld posted 7.6 and 9.5 0-60mph times for the 2 which is a big difference.
I'm curious (my feelings wont be hurt either way) how a WR290R/uncorked/pipe/normal mods would do against a KLX351 with pumper and same mods.
The WR would have to annihilate the KLX for me to consider it though just because it is not sold here in Malaysia, no dealer support and Kawasaki is by far the most supported brand in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.
But if I was in America....
Mods are in the video description. My bike is completely stock. The KLX has upgraded exhaust, uncorked air box, and a re-jet. First pull was first gear on. Second pull was second gear on. Let me know if you have any other questions!
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #8032
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,113
The KLX isn't gutless because of the lack of EFI. It's gutless because the motor is vastly de-tuned for the US market compared to Europe and Australia, which get about 10 more hp than we do. No freakin' idea why. The Marcelino cam mod is a great way to get some of that lost power back without spending the money on a big bore kit. Though as a new 351 owner, I gotta say, it's AWESOME! :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #8033
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamfitter View Post
Even with a whole bunch of Maine backcountry in private hands the state is truly special and well worth the effort to explore. You could spend a lifetime on Vermont and New Hampshire trails. Western Mass. and Conn. too.

Back to your scheduled programming...
If you're talking about off-road / trail riding...
There's actually very little "legal" off-road riding in Western Mass. There are only 3 state forests where OHVs are allowed, all require special registration, and are closed for roughly half the year. You can take your chances on private land without permission, but land owners are not nearly as lenient as they were 30 years ago.
I know when you drive through it looks like a lot of woods compared to the eastern part of the state, and it's tempting to think no one could possibly care about a little trail riding "way out there", but the vast majority of the land owners are very involved with their land and don't take kindly to trespassing. Overall, I'd give Massachusetts an F- for OHV riding policies and availability.

Dirt roads for legal dual-sports, yes, there is definitely some good riding. The Trans Mass Trail is great too (roads, not actual trails).
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372063

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #8034
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Steve View Post
Remove old gasket, clean surface of muffler pipe with scotchbrite, brillo or similar, a little grease or antiseize compound might help on the end of the muffler pipe. Slide gasket onto end of muffler pipe, not into head pipe.

Head pipe should be installed on bike, make sure clamp is very loose or slid off clamping area. Try to clean the inside of the head pipe where the gasket goes as best you can, if there's a piece of the old gasket in there, it will damage the new gasket when you try to slide it in. Also, if the clamp was too tight, it may have deformed the shape of the end of the head pipe a little. Check for that and correct as necessary.

With the gasket installed on the end of the muffler pipe You can apply a little antiseize on the outside if you wish), slide it into the head pipe, you may have to wiggle it a little before it starts to go in.

That should do it.
Thanks Steve,

I know it has been a little while, but I finally got around to putting the gasket on and your instructions made it a breeze.

Later,

John
Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #8035
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
Is there a prevailing torque nut available for this application? I've got one on the KLR and it's a slick deal. No more messing with tab washers.

Here's a question from years ago that I had to resurrect. I've not heard of a prevailing torque nut for our KLXs, but still wonder if there is one out there. Anyone know of one?
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #8036
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
The KLX isn't gutless because of the lack of EFI. It's gutless because the motor is vastly de-tuned for the US market compared to Europe and Australia, which get about 10 more hp than we do. No freakin' idea why. The Marcelino cam mod is a great way to get some of that lost power back without spending the money on a big bore kit. Though as a new 351 owner, I gotta say, it's AWESOME! :)

Rob
The "why" probably has to do with a carbed engine that has to meet emissions. FI does a much better job at meeting emissions while retaining power and response. A 36mm pumper carb does wonders for both response and power, especially on a modded KLX.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #8037
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick rider View Post
Hi,

I am going to look at a bike to buy in a couple of days, I have only had aircooled bikes previously.
I was looking at KLX250's but this has came up...

The bike is a 1997 KX250 chassis with an electric start KLX300 motor in it, I have seen pic's of it and spoken to the builder. It seems he knows his stuff, he built it about 10 years ago..

It has the complete 1997 KX250 frame, plastics, radiators and suspension.
It weighs in at 113kg wet without fuel.
Has a Big Gun exhaust, and carb/airbox mod's.

I can't find any reference for a factory electric start KLX300, but he says it is a factory 300 not a 250 with 300 cylinder..
Will it will be a much better bike than a standard KLX300/250 if at all?
Any thoughts/info anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou
If it's really a 300, it should be noticeably torquier. The 250's biggest problem, IMO, is it's completely gutless with regards to torque. I've heard of quite a few people dropping a 300 cyl on their 250s to wake them up.

Rob
Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #8038
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
The "why" probably has to do with a carbed engine that has to meet emissions. FI does a much better job at meeting emissions while retaining power and response. A 36mm pumper carb does wonders for both response and power, especially on a modded KLX.
My well-tuned stock-carb'd KLX did have a bit more pep and throttle response over totally stock, but that still wasn't saying much. I tried a TM34 pumper carb, and it added more throttle response, but not much more power. The motor just doesn't breathe well enough to make power, unlike the Australian/European versions that get 10 hp more, which puts them equal to the WR250R.

If you really want to wake the thing up, it takes a big bore, a ported head, and really, some good cams. The cams are pretty weak and poorly timed for the motor. There's a lot of stuff working against this motor, but the upside is as long as you keep the valves in spec and change the oil regularly, it'll probably run forever.

A couple more weeks and I'll be tearing mine down again to send the head to Bill Blue for porting, then I may end up springing for a pumper carb too.

Rob
Old 06-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #8039
James Parus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Euro version has 22hp. So usa version must then have 12.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
James Parus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #8040
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,055
I thought the Bill Blue pumper plus kdx air box and swapping the exhaust out made pretty remarkable difference.

I only weigh 180 though. And I'm not a hooligan...

YMMV.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote