Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #8071
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
A 351 will make your gps speed as fast as your previous speedo speed!

It enables you to run higher gearing. Before my 351 cc 117 KM/hr was my highest ever top speed on GPS (72/3 mph). I'm about 200 lbs though and that speed was with my 56 liter givi box on the back.
I spent much time on our nearly perfect toll hiway with the throttle wide open... seriously I've had the throttle wide open for probably 1/2 an hour straight. Glancing down at the GPS top speed would be between 105 and that one time 117. That 117 did NOT include me leaning over to get better wind resistance.
Pre 351 top speed was often to be had in 5th gear rather than 6th gear.

I did 351, pumper carb, pipe, air box mods all at the same time and haven't been satisfied with my jetting. The huge difference would the 0-60 time.
I actually recorded it by taking off my 2 double take mirrors and putting a camera in one mount aiming at my gps in the other mount with the gps screen set on big numbers; current speed, time, distance. Unfortunately I lost that though it was tough to read.

I know cycle world is going to beat my times - these times are just for comparison sakes. Cycle world has 1. smaller guys and 2. give it 100% as they don't care about breaking stuff as much as I do.
I on the other hand gave my test about 90% (No reving the engine/dropping the clutch), had my huge givi box on both times and of course am bigger.
Pre 351 was about 10 1/2 seconds to 60 mph and post mods was about 6 seconds. That really is a huge difference! (Here in Malaysia 10 1/2 seconds puts you faster than about 50% of the vehicles off the line. 6 seconds and you are faster than 98%.)

For safe cruising speed I like to have "a burst" above what I am cruising. Ie if someone is moving in on me, hitting the gas and pulling ahead is an option. Now I can cruise at 105 -110 and still have that "burst" if I hit the gas. Before there was nothing at 105; meaning full throttle in top gear at 100 mph would only move me very slowly up to 105 and then if I looked down 5 minutes later I might be at 110 or 115.
BTW those numbers I'm thinking are probably worse/more pessimistic than most simply because I believe our thick, humid, hot air is tough to go thru. Always 95F/85% humidity. That 117 by the way was in the early morning when it was much cooler.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #8072
NikLyk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Thanks for your answer ricky.

Let me get this straight.

With the 350 kit you can comfortably cruise at 105 MPH? Or did you mean KM/H ?

Is that with stock gearing?
Is that as indicated on gps or speedo?
What is your RPM at this speed?

If its 105 mph I must say I am impressed. I thought this was impossible.

NikLyk screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 10:18 AM Reason: Spelling
NikLyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #8073
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikLyk View Post
Thanks for your answer ricky.

Let me get this straight.

With the 350 kit you can comfortably cruise at 105 MPH? Or did you mean KM/H ?

Is that with stock gearing?
Is that as indicated on gps or speedo?
What is your RPM at this speed?

If its 105 mph I must say I am impressed. I thought this was impossible.
Knowing Ricky's metric world, I bet I can attest to his numbers being KM's.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #8074
FIDOLLAZ
Dirty D

Oddometer: 744
what is the latest on the correct choice of aftermarket exhaust?

has anyone reported any mpg increase after exhaust mods?

I want as quiet as possible....and spark arrested
FIDOLLAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #8075
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Knowing Ricky's metric world, I bet I can attest to his numbers being KM's.
oops... TNC is right... that was suppossed to be KMH!

FWIW I also have a KTM 690 and it certainly can't cruise at 105 Mph... I did some freeway speed tests on it and the fastest I hit was 106 on a stretch I matched 99mph on going the opposite direction.

When I say "comfortably cruise" (very objective term) I mean a speed the bike can easily hold regardless of wind speed/ direction (within reason), slight climbing grade and still have a bit left over if I hit the gas.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #8076
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Yeah, the problem with "cruise speed" is we each have our own definition.

For me its in top gear, at low rpms, just were it runs "clean" and isnt making *honk honk* noices, or exessive vibrations. Its where I feel it will just run from now and till the end of the world.

That'll be around 90-100km/h on my xt600 (stock gearing). It will go 120km/h just fine, but feels buzzy, eventhough theres still plenty of speed to accelerate.

For me cruising is just that, not how fast I can go without actually killing the engine on that particular ride
Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #8077
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIDOLLAZ View Post
what is the latest on the correct choice of aftermarket exhaust?

has anyone reported any mpg increase after exhaust mods?

I want as quiet as possible....and spark arrested
I don't recall many, if any, reporting increased mpg. May happen, but likely only with a very good tuner.
If you want as quiet as possible, keep the stocker. Saw a report recently of someone throwing on a stock ninja pipe for quiet with good flow. Everything aftermarket that I'm aware of is significantly louder. FMFQ4 with quiet core is one of the quieter aftermarket, but it's still much louder than stock.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #8078
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
I don't recall many, if any, reporting increased mpg. May happen, but likely only with a very good tuner.
If you want as quiet as possible, keep the stocker. Saw a report recently of someone throwing on a stock ninja pipe for quiet with good flow. Everything aftermarket that I'm aware of is significantly louder. FMFQ4 with quiet core is one of the quieter aftermarket, but it's still much louder than stock.
Yeah and I have the KLX300 pipe and muffler on mine, and the sound is not at all nice. The actual stock pipe is very quiet and has a simple, if sewing-machiney sound. This thing, especially with the 351, and a quiet insert, just sounds bad. It sounds like the bike is congested too, like it needs more flow. But if I pull the quiet tip it'll be WAY too loud. I'm starting to think a Ninja pipe may be answer. Or just pony up for one of the "quiet" series aftermarket pipes, which will be louder, but at least sound better.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #8079
FIDOLLAZ
Dirty D

Oddometer: 744
....ordered fmf header with power bomb & q4 muffler.
hopefully give my opinion on performance gain by the end of the week
FIDOLLAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #8080
MCRIDER1959
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Question Service manuals

Looking to buy a service manual for my 2006 KLX 250s. What manual would you recommend? And where to get it?
MCRIDER1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #8081
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
I'm looking for an official KLX250S thread that is the main thread where owners of the bike exchange info. Does one exist? I did a search and couldn't find anything.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #8082
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
I'm looking for an official KLX250S thread that is the main thread where owners of the bike exchange info. Does one exist? I did a search and couldn't find anything.
This is it. The "other" KLX250S thread isn't used nearly as often, and we've all been wishing for years that the mods would close it.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #8083
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
If you're asking about a thread here on ADV, then this it it. However, some additional, very detailed, and even fun stuff that is dedicated to the KLX250 is over here.

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #8084
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Excellent, thank you!!
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #8085
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
This is it. The "other" KLX250S thread isn't used nearly as often, and we've all been wishing for years that the mods would close it.
Rob
"The other thread" was someone's well intentioned attempt to keep the '06 - '07 info separate from the '09 and up info. If people don't mention which year their bike is, it can cause some confusion due to differences. And it's probably too late for a merge as that, at this point, would cause more confusion. To further confuse things is that North American KLXs are still carbed and the rest(?) of the world gets FI on their KLXs.