Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #796
navyman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
You just took the helmet off for the picture...right?
navyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #797
rkutzner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Acerbis Handguard Install Questions

Hey you all with the green Acerbis handguards ! Are those the universal fit Rally Pro handguards ? Any issues with stuff in the way on the handbars when you mounted them ? What other issues are there in mounting these ?

By the way, I'm new here but have been watching this thread for a few weeks and picked up my KLX250S a week ago...just got the MD plates today.....80 miles on her and WOW, exceeds all expectations on and off road. Kawi has raised the bar for mostly off road (but awesome onroad considering them nobbies!) dual sports !!!
rkutzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:43 PM   #798
jeepphamilee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
exhaust torque specs

I am looking for the torque specs for the header bolts, I got my shiney new Muzzy today and should have my jet kit tomorrow I just wanna make sure I don't over torque the bolts..... anyone got numbers to torque to?? Have any of you replaced the gasket ring when you put the new system on or did you just re-use the old one? Thanks a lot for the help!
jeepphamilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #799
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepphamilee
I am looking for the torque specs for the header bolts, I got my shiney new Muzzy today and should have my jet kit tomorrow I just wanna make sure I don't over torque the bolts..... anyone got numbers to torque to?? Have any of you replaced the gasket ring when you put the new system on or did you just re-use the old one? Thanks a lot for the help!
Hey Jeep , there is no gasket ring on this application, or any other that I 've seen in the last 8-10 years. I know what you are refering to though, that little hard fiber doughnut that used to need replacing pretty often. Luckily those have been engineered out of the process and all thats there now is 2 machined parts that fit together with almost no tolerance between them. One is on the head and one is, of course, on the header pipe. They go together easily and are for the most part, fool proof. As for the torque specs, I cant help you there but I can tell you that you'll notice when you remove the stockers that there is not much torque on those bolts. IMO the 2 most important things to remember when torqueing them is to remember that the studs are in an aluminum head and to try to get pretty close to the same amount on each one. I case no one comes up with the proper torque vales for you, it would be better to under torque them and have to put a little more on them if they leak (and they wont leak) if needed.

Here's what the head and head pipe look like:
Attached Images

'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:21 PM   #800
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Its hard to tell by that pic but there is a machined place in there for this to fit into:

(the one on the right)
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2006, 06:27 PM   #801
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats the cool thing about the Muzzy system, there are no gaskets, pipe tape or sealers of any type used for assembly whatsoever. It all just slides together and is held there by either the head studs or stainless steel springs.

Good luck, Randy.

Oh, and congrats to all the new KLX owners too!!!
Old 03-14-2006, 07:04 PM   #802
jeepphamilee
Adventurer

15-20ft lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
Thats the cool thing about the Muzzy system, there are no gaskets, pipe tape or sealers of any type used for assembly whatsoever. It all just slides together and is held there by either the head studs or stainless steel springs.

Good luck, Randy.

Oh, and congrats to all the new KLX owners too!!!
You think 15-20ft lbs is too much, that seems like a reasonable amount for aluminum.... I dunno, but 10ft lbs didn't even feel close. Anyhow, i cranked 'er up a couple of minutes ago and man that sounds good..... loud, but good! Doesn't sound like I am riding a moped anymore.

EDIT------
Alright, so I started to worry about pulling the studs out of the aluminum head, so i went back and change my torque back to 10ft lbs..... in comparison to the original feel I guess it feels pretty close. Hind-sight being 20/20 15-20ft lbs is too much.... I feel like an old woman that can't make her mind......

jeepphamilee screwed with this post 03-14-2006 at 07:51 PM Reason: change of heart
Old 03-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #803
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
IMS tank range

Just got back from a 218 mile ride around lovely N. Texas. Some pavement but mostly dirt and deep gravel roads.

Note the reading on the bike's trip meter (not the GPS which is total for the trip).

THAT'S RIGHT! 152 miles and NOT ON RESERVE YET!!!!

Here's a picture of the remaining fuel after 152 miles. It's kinda hard to see in the picture so I marked it:

There's at least one half gallon left in the tank.

My bike gets between 52 and 58 mpg depending on conditions. Today I fought a 15 knot headwind for half the trip so it was closer to 52.

I'm now confident to ride with my friends on their big dual sports without holding them back due to limited range.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:18 PM   #804
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Todd, you still have'nt shown us a pic of the whole bike now with the new tank on it. (unless, somehow I missed it)

Randy.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #805
kyjelly44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
well muzzys showd up today,jetting a dyno jet kit put in and a 14/50 with an x-ring chain.now i should be able to run with my buddies 05 klx300r.and i think i got the fender from UFO,that looks liek the one in the pic on #789.since the klx250 is a 2 piece rear i will have to do some fabing.if i get it to work anyone want to see pics for all the steps?
Old 03-15-2006, 06:29 PM   #806
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
Todd, you still have'nt shown us a pic of the whole bike now with the new tank on it. (unless, somehow I missed it)

Randy.
Cruise on back to post #698.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
Old 03-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #807
jeepphamilee
Adventurer

check, checkity check

Free mods: Check
Muzzy: Check
Carb Re-valve: Check
Quick little wheelie machine: Check

Man what a differance the exhaust and stage 2 kit made!!! Thanks all for the good help, pictures and write ups!!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:28 PM   #808
skootercee
GOT MUDD!

Oddometer: 19
need to jet

I got my muzzy on today, did the free mods but did not do a thing to the carb yet. need help!
Old 03-16-2006, 04:58 AM   #809
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by skootercee
I got my muzzy on today, did the free mods but did not do a thing to the carb yet. need help!
Scott,

What kinda help do you need? This thread is full of good advice and pictures on how to re-jet the carb. At the very least you should go up to a 125 or 128 main jet with that Muzzy pipe. Send me a PM if you've got more questions.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 03-16-2006, 08:16 AM   #810
sullydirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjelly44
well muzzys showd up today,jetting a dyno jet kit put in and a 14/50 with an x-ring chain.now i should be able to run with my buddies 05 klx300r.and i think i got the fender from UFO,that looks liek the one in the pic on #789.since the klx250 is a 2 piece rear i will have to do some fabing.if i get it to work anyone want to see pics for all the steps?
I'd like to see it KY.

sullydirt is offline   Reply With Quote